“Improved Breakfast”

Hyatt Place UC Davis
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Davis
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Since I stayed at the Hyatt in April 2013, they have greatly improved their breakfast options. It was obvious that customer reviews had affected the offerings. There are now 2 egg sandwich versions, more fresh fruit, and hot oatmeal in addition to the usual continental breakfast options. The rooms continue to be very clean and stylish, with GREAT air conditioning (becoming more rare in hotels) that can be controlled with a wall mounted thermostat inside the room. I like that the rooms are simplified suites so I didn't need to sit on the bed to eat or watch tv. I'll definitely stay here again, though it is a bit pricey in Davis for hotels generally. There are better deals in nearby Sacramento.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the arboretum side of the hotel instead of the train side for a quieter sleep exper...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank RabbiWendy

Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is a relatively small, lovely hotel that appears to be on the UC Davis campus. There is a free shuttle available to take you to "downtown" Davis. The rooms are large and well appointed. Complementary breakfast is wonderful. The only downside was that there was no in-room safe.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Evelyn E
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Apparently they haven't been open very long, and it showed right from the beginning. There's no real check-in area, it's by the bar/lunch spot, and it wasn't easy!
Speaking of lunch, I hadn't had breakfast, so I was about to order an egg-cheese-bacon croissant from the menu, but as I didn't see a grill, I asked how they were going to cook the egg. The answer? Sheepishly... "Everything we have is frozen". It was hard to get upset at anything, because everyone was so nice, but I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Up until now I have rarely written a review for a chain hotel largely because the experience has been typically sanitized and impersonal.........my experience here proved an exception. The staff was incredibly accommodating and went out of their way to make my stay totally enjoyable. My room in the newly completed addition was outstanding in every way. The Hyatt Place UC Davis proved affordable, quiet, conveniently located on campus, and in close proximity to both The Mondavi Center and UC Davis' new winery. If my stay was any indication, the Hyatt Place is certainly an outstanding choice for anyone visiting Davis.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 21, 2014

What a mess. The reservation process was painful and involved 4 calls. They still didn't have the room right when we arrived. Said how "lucky" we were that they could accomodate us. They promised us a free night with our points and then reneged AFTER our stay. The room was mediocre 3-star and not up to normal Hyatt standards. Instead of Hyatt Place they should call it Hyatt Lite. I am returning to Davis soon and have booked into the Best Western University Lodge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the nearby railrood tracks.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank PackMyBags65
Reviewed May 14, 2014

When we came back to the hotel to find the two elevators out-of-service, we were pointed to stairways to the fourth floor. It wasn't clear if one or both of the elevators were out and hotel employees didn't seem to know, either. The next day the elevators were still out of order; the story line at the front desk was that the needed part wouldn't come in until next week.
Unfortunately, we couldn't sooth ourselves with a good cup of coffee because the lobby coffee here is so watered down, we became tea drinkers.

Room Tip: top floor. otherwise, every step the guy in the room above you takes will rattle your bones.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2014

So my normal "Plan A" for finding a hotel is to look at the TripAdvisor reviews and pick one of the less expensive places with a decent report. We arrived in Davis late one evening having not made reservations but having spent the last half-hour of our car trip looking up hotels on the smart phone. We drove to the hotel we decided on only to find they had no vacancy.
So my normal "Plan B" is "Forget it. Lets just go someplace nice and hope it doesn't break the bank." Naturally, we went to Hyatt Place.
The facility is gorgeous. The rate was only a little bit more than I was about to pay at the other place. The morning breakfast was just spectacular including fresh fruit, oatmeal, lots of breakfast goodies, and two different kinds of made-to-order breakfast sandwiches that the breakfast-bar staff assemble and toast for you!
Also, we have a handicapped relative who asked us to check out handicapped possibilities at the Hyatt, and the staff was nice enough to show us one of those rooms. Very nice with a big door for wheeling through, lots of room for maneuvering a wheelchair, a wheel-in shower, and a second security hall-peep-hole below the regular one so that a person in a wheelchair can verify who is in the hallway without having to stand up, somehow.
There is a pool and hot tub, a small gym, and a small bar area. Besides the pool, I didn't see much stuff for little kids, although that made no difference for our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family