“Friendly Staff”

Ottawa, Canada
“Friendly Staff”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Hyatt Place
For context purposes I need to indicate that I spent a week (Nov 2-10) in California travelling around the San Francisco area. During this week I stayed in 4 different hotels/chains. As a result, some of my comment will be in comparison to the other three hotels (which I have not named in this review).
I arrived early (11:30 am) as this hotel was just down the road from the previous one. However, that didn’t seem to be a problem as they already had guest that had checked out and they had cleaned the room so they let me in. Check in was very fast and friendly. Jessica was amazingly friendly and willing to help. Of the four hotels I stayed at this on one other during this trip had reception desk staff that were more than willing to make sure my stay was the best that they could make it.
Like the other three hotels, I stayed in a room with a king bed. Unfortunately, this room faced the highway and train tracks. So, I could hear the heavy traffic in the morning and the trains every time they went past the hotel. The room in this hotel was very spacious, clean, but maybe a little dated. They are currently undergoing construction as they are adding a new wing to the hotel. I most note that I did not hear any construction noise during my three day visit to this hotel; however, I did see work crews. Other than the road and trains traffic noise, the only minor concern I had with my room the low water pressure.
The continental breakfast at this hotel was the best of the four. There was a wide array of pastries, breads/bagels, multiples cereal varieties, juices, coffee, fruits (cut up and whole), and multiple hot food choices which changed by the day so you never go bored. Outstanding!!
The bed was firm, but soft enough to be relaxing. The bathroom was well supplied with lots towels, etc; however, I was disappointed with the quality of the toilet paper. It felt like I was using sandpaper. There is one note that I have to make and it’s that this hotel had the nicest of the four for provided shampoo. In addition, they even provided brand name toothpaste in a tube.
The outdoor pool area exists, but it was too cold too use. There were chairs around the pool for people to sit in while they were watching their friends or kids.
All in all, it is a nice hotel and I’d stay there again, even with the traffic noise, I’d just ask for a room facing away from the road and tracks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the train track.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Tobys_view

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
boston
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My children and I recently visited Davis to see family. We stayed at the Hyatt at UC Davis. Now I am super picky about hotels but I honestly can not find one remotely negative thing to say.
The hotel is located nicely on the edge of the UC Davis campus. Its a short walking distance to downtown Davis ( 5 min walk) but if you dont feel like walking the Hyatt shuttle service will take you anywhere in Davis which was a great feature.
The hotel decor is modern and clean. Starbucks is served in the lobby for purchase. It is a limited menu. Every morning there is a free breakfast which is very extensive. Juices, cofee, tea, porridge, cerals, muffins, bagels, toast, breakfast sandwiches etc.....There is a very nice workout room and an outdoor heated pool which my daughter loved.
We stayed in a double double bed room. The room was very large with a separated area with a couch, work desk and mini fridge in it. The room was spotless and cleaned meticulously everyday.
The best part of this hotel is the staff who are absolutely amazing. Everyone is super friendly and helpful and they know you by your family name within a day! Jessica, Kerry and Pang (spelling) are all wonderful, helpful and so nice. The Hyatt is very lucky to have them as employees.
If you are staing in the Davis area, you must stay at the Hyatt - you wont be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Davis, California
Reviewed February 19, 2014

"Nicest" used in multiples contexts here.

This is by far the cleanest, best kept, and amenity packed hotel in Davis.

I used to come back for picnic days fairly often and a bunch of my UCD Alumni friends and I would come up to celebrate. We'd usually end up at the Best Western or Econolodge(yikes) but a few months ago I had the opportunity to stay at the Hyatt and was extremely pleased with my time here. Spotless bathrooms, comfy beds, and great breakfasts were highlights.

I also use "nicest" because the front desk has extremely accommodating individuals working behind the desk. In recent days I have been frequenting the Hyatt because I have started to attend graduate school right next door and will often pick up a coffee before class. Kerry specifically is extremely sweet and such a professional. I can't imagine a better face and personality to be in the hospitality business. Thanks Kerry!

So I stand behind my original statement. This is without a doubt the nicest hotel in Davis.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The rooms at the Hyatt Place UC Davis are fantastic, modern, clean and comfortable. The staff has always been wonderful! We stay here frequently for both business and pleasure and find it meets our needs for both. Easy access to the freeway if you need to head in to Sacramento and the hotel is adjacent to the university and Mondavi Center. Very convenient - I would rate it a 5 but for a couple of things, the beds, while extremely comfortable are also very warm. It would be nice if there was a way to make the beds with a lighter coverlet. Also, the breakfast is better than most. Oatmeal is good, but they would do better to offer more high quality simple breakfast items (like better bagels) than offering the breakfast sandwich things that look better than they taste. - I was glad to see that they are adding rooms to the property.

Room Tip: A room on the side opposite the freeway and railway might be nice, but I have never had a difficult...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We (2 adults, 2 children) stayed at this hotel for one night while attending an event at UC Davis. We were pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the hotel and rooms. The only cons I would have to mention is how loud the ac gets when it turns on and the rooms seemed to be on the smaller side but it worked for our one night stay. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends and I would stay here again. Staff was friendly upon check in.

Stayed February 2014
California, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The Hyatt Place is a nice hotel located on the campus of UC Davis. I checked the Yelp reviews on this hotel before making reservations. The reviews did not steer me in the wrong direction. I stayed here while on a business trip. I did not make the same mistake as my last business trip when I reserved a room for the wrong night. I arrived before noon and checked in.

The room consisted of an area with a sofa for watching the large screen television, a table for your computer, a table for coffee, the sleeping quarters, a bathroom area with a separate area for the toilet and shower. It was well designed and was a comfortable room. The room had blackout curtains to keep the light out for a good night of sleep. The faucet was the only thing that did not work properly in the room. Every time I turned on the water by lifting the handle, gravity would take hold of the handle and lower itself back into the off position.

The hotel has a free breakfast in the morning. They had the usual danishes, bagels, toast, and donuts. They had fresh cut fruit consisting of honeydew, cantaloupe and grapes. They also had grapefruit. Their hot foods consisted of oatmeal, a breakfast sandwich, something that looked like a pizza, and waffles. They also had milk and juices.

I took a breakfast sandwich and some waffles for breakfast. The breakfast sandwich was not good. I thought it was dry. The waffles were overly toasted. It was crunchy. I could not cut it with a knife. The oatmeal that I took after I dumped the waffles and sandwich was okay after I mixed in some of the other ingredients like brown sugar, cranberries and raisins. The fresh fruit probably was good since they didn't grow it.

The hotel is on the campus of UC Davis. They have a man made river running through the campus. It is a relaxing stroll to the river. It is a beautiful campus.

Overall, I thought this was a nice hotel. The room I was in was good. They gave me a nice comfortable room. It would've been nicer if the faucet didn't have the automatic gravity shutoff. I definitely would stay here again, as long as I make the reservations for the correct day.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I've just finished a three night stay on business. Nice, new hotel. Not big on facilities but great value for money and very friendly and attentive staff. As with all of the hotels in this chain, not a huge amount of choice in the restaurant but enough to see you through. My room had a very noisy heater so watch out for that.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business