“Great Diner in Davis” 4 of 5 bubbles

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #11 of 197 Restaurants in Davis
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
placerville,ca
“Great Diner in Davis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stopped here for breakfast on our way to the bay area. It was a cute place with good food. Of course I loved the bears! Who wouldn't? Our waitress was great and the food was quick and delicious. I had the vegetarian omelet (I'm not a vegetarian) and it was really good, it came with my choice of potatoes, or fruit (I chose the fruit), and the biggest biscuit I've ever seen. My husband had the California Club with potato salad (could have had the fries/salad/or soup choice). We were happy with it all! If we're ever in Davis again, we'll stop here for breakfast or lunch.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank CharyF

• Korean first
“Our Davis favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

You know a restaurant is good if you drive by five others to get there. Black Bear has attentive service, a broad menu and easy parking. You can choose from healthy through decadent.

Santa Ynez, California
“Just a bit better than Dennys”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was just across the street from the Best Western University Lodge and an easy place to go if you are staying there and want a full breakfast. Otherwise, it's pretty much your typical diner. Good for kids. But with so many great restaurants in Davis I wouldn't bother to go.

Visited February 2013
Ancaster, Canada
“A good breakfast can be healthy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you like diner food, this could be your ticket. Waffles, large omelet's, steak and eggs, bacon and so on. However, I was looking for something leaner when I stayed at the nearby Aggie Inn and found it. The diner has a "Fit & Focused: Made With Egg Whites!" menu with servings under 500 calories. I had the Farmer's Scramble which scrambled spinach, tomatoes, squash and mushrooms into egg whites, and it was quite good. Instead, with the Acapulco Scramble you could do the same with diced chicken, green chiles and tomatoes. That also sounded tempting.

My scramble was tasty and there were, I recall, hot sauces that one could add. It came with a fruit cup and a dry wheat toast. I ordered a large fresh squeezed orange juice which was delicious. This was accompanied with coffee which perked me up.

All in all a good experience before heading out to the University of California on academic business. I'd do it again for both the food, pleasant dining and courtesy.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank My2CentsAndMore
Sacramento, California
“Vast Selection; Huge Servings...bring on the Doggie Bag!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Very hardy and fulfilling meals that are Americana at its best. Remember "portion" control; ask for a doggie bag in advance so you are not tempted to over-stuff yourself!

Visited February 2012