“ok”

University Park Inn and Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Davis
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The room was okay. Very dark. Low wattage bulbs and no overhead light. Several noisy neighbors spent several hours in the evening just outside their doors, smoking, calling out to each other.Then a more muted repeat starting at 5:30am.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kathiann

Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

University Park Inn & Suites is located conveniently right off the highway and close to most places in Davis, given that's it's a pretty small city. The rooms are clean and quite nice although the patio looked pretty sketchy. Beds were comfortable but nothing to write home about.

So what's not to like? The room that we stayed at (and apparently other rooms too) are equipped with motion sensing lights in the bedroom and bathroom. At first, it seemed like a strange but understandable feature. Convenience, right? Nope. The bedroom light sensor was pointed right at the bed and was so sensitive, the light would turn on whenever you moved in your sleep. I had to get up at 2AM to turn off the light -- thinking that switching the light switch would turn it off. Again, nope. There is no way to turn off the sensor other than putting a piece of tape over it. The front desk confirmed this when I complained in the morning after being woken several times by the light. They asked "you didn't see the tape over the sensor?" as if I should have known better.

I asked for the manager who was not in at the time so I left a stern complaint card asking for some sort of response complete with my phone number. It's been a month and I haven't gotten a response.

While the place is seemingly nice, the terrible experience left me unable to recommend University Park Inn & Suites to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Ronald W
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is spacious, clean and comfortable, albeit not always quiet due to the proximity to the freeway. The breakfast is more than adequate with bagels, toast, make-your-own waffles, cereal, fruit, juice, Seattle's Best coffee and Tazo tea. The latter three items are available all day. My only problem was that the wireless internet in the rooms took a long time to connect and, when connected, was very slow. I would stay there again despite this issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor is you like to open your windows at night.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Here are the pros & cons of this hotel for me. You can decide if any are important to you:

PROS
Clean, comfortable room
Pleasant staff
In-room mini-fridge & microwave for guest use
Seattle's Best coffee at continental breakfast

CONS
Some freeway noise (I wear earplugs, and it didn't bother me)
Possibly other noise issues*
Room didn't get fully dark
Annoying automatic lights in the bathroom

*I was awoken by a semi truck in the parking lot with its engine running for about an hour. Also, the garbage dumpster was loudly emptied at 7:15 AM. We were already up, but you may not be.

Room Tip: Some rooms are in a single-level building - no one above or below you - and those who want quiet mig...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very nice property. Great location right off the freeway and close to UCDavis ( reason for our visit)
Our room was spacious and very clean. Only glitch was our TV in the sitting room didn;t work, but my son was happy with the one in the bedroom. Bed was comfy. Breakfast is sparse, but adequate. Did have waffles.Wish we would have eaten at Caffee italia next door. Must be good, it was always busy. When we first checked in, we were greeted by Israel, who was very professional and helpful. The girl at the desk the next day...not so much. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had suite on the second floor in the main bulilding. I had read previous reviews that the noise f...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel was everything it advertized. Nice size pool. Off the beaten path and right next to the freeway which made it easier to travel and site see. Great breakfast with a nice little Italian restaurant next door. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Happy that this Inn was Pet Friendly. Not far from UC Davis Veternary. Great location. Close to freeway, steps away from an Italian Restaurant. (Italian Restaurant has good food.) Very close to downtown Davis. Swimming Pool not heated, but clean. It was hot anyways, the pool felt good.
My phone rang in room, then no one was there. I called front desk to ask if they had called or had a call for me. They said usually all calls come through the front desk, asked me if I could hold, that they were having problems with their phone. I held and the person never came back on the line. The main problem was in room 132 the air condition was like a swamp cooler. Hardly any air. Didn't matter if you left air condition on 24/7 a small fan would of gave more air. It would of been easier for me to sleep, had the so called air condition worked properly. Staff was very friendly. I could not get internet into my room. I called twice I did exactly what they told me to do. They said they would reboot. That did not help. I just used the computer in lobby. I would stay there again if need be, but probably would stay somewhere else were the air condition worked. Love the lawn in front of the rooms. Had very small continental breakfast, but was good. Rooms a little small. Hotel had pros and cons. The price was good.

Room Tip: Rooms a little small. Check out the room before they give it to you.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family