“Awesome Experience”

Davenport Roadhouse Restaurant & Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Davenport B&B and Inns
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We did not know what we were going to see when we arrived and what a treat it was. They have a beach across the street which is huge and has amazing cliffs. The hotel was very clean and the staff was absolutely wonderful. It is about 15 minutes to Santa Cruz which is always fun. We went to Monterey for a day trip and it was about an hour away. We would definitely stay here again and we are already planning another trip. I can't wait to tell other people about this hidden hot spot. it was also very reasonable. We stayed 3 nights and it was $400.00. What a deal for an ocean view.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Greenwood, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Davenport Roadhouse twice now, and will stay there many more times in the future.

I don't know about the rooms that are over their restaurant, but the room I stayed in would not be a good choice for someone who plans to spend a lot of time in their room. The room was clean and supplied a very good bed and very little else. In fact, I brought my own portable chair the second time I stayed there. There was an easy way to make coffee a few steps from the room. They have lovely local lavendar soaps in the bathroom. The free wi-fi was a little fickle. Everything else worked fine.

So why four stars? For me and my needs, it was actually five stars. I have a sister who lives in Santa Cruz who does not really have a way to put up a guest for a full week. Santa Cruz accomodations that suit me would be way beyond my budget. I like quiet and a nice setting. The Roadhouse provided these things, and was a 10-minute drive, with very little traffic, to my sister's place.

The Davenport Roadhouse is right across the street from ocean access....an easy walk to a beach. I visited the beach at both low and high tide. Two totally different experiences. Loved it!

I loved the convenience of the very good restaurant on the premises. I have now had both breakfast and dinner there. Unique menu and very good food.

I was traveling alone and the staff was very kind and helpful, which is very important to me.

If you stay there and you like art glass, the Lundberg studio showroom is just a short walk away. There are seconds in the showroom, as well as perfect glass. Next time I come, I will bring a budget for glass.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the rooms is what is probably an old vacation cabin, which is not on the highway...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank stephroot
Essex, UK
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here to use the restaurant as we were staying about 10 miles up the road at pigeon point lighthouse. Between the lighthouse and Santa Cruz there really is very little. In fact beyond the lighthouse there isn't much either. We were entertained by a love band and the place was buzzing. We had to wait around 15 minutes for a table, but I always take that as a good sign. There were only 2 serving staff on shift and the poor girl sorting out tables and reservations was rushed off her feet. Still, the atmosphere made up for it. Food was fresh and good. I recommend the pizza. However, steer clear of the choc cake. It looks irresistible, but its not good at all. Very very very rich. I had to leave mine and that's unheard of!

• Stayed August 2012
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2013

On a recently visit to No Cal, we ate here with a friend and her daughters and friends, one of whom is a student at UC Santa Cruz and recommended we come here as they had a great meal previously and wanted to come back.

With vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters in our group our needs were diverse. There isn't much on the menu for a vegan, but they were happy to make a pizza with no cheese, which was excellent. The menu is small, but all the meals were tasty and the pricing was reasonable, especially for No Cal.

This is a kind of remote spot, but is well worth stopping at if you are coming up the coast from Santa Cruz towards San Francisco. Very pretty views nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I paid $12 for a salad with little more than greens and a few beet chunks. The total coat to the establishment must have been in the range of 50-75 cents. If you eat here don't get this salad.
It is a total rip off!

Room Tip: Salads are two dollars a bite!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 15Lois

Travelers are raving about these Davenport hotels

sydney
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stopped at the Davenport Roadhouse for lunch on our recent drive on Highway 1 from Carmel to San Francisco. There is little by way of decent food stops once leaving Santa Cruz as you head north on Highway 1 notwithstanding the great scenery, and the Davenport Roadhouse was a welcome surprise. I ordered a beetroot salad which was made with local ingredients, and it was well presented, properly prepared and with some delightful additions such as medjool dates sliced finely to add some natural sweetness to offset the beetroot.

The pricing was very reasonable, and the service was swift and the taking of our orders was efficient, and importantly correct. The Roadhouse has reflective brown glass windows which make it difficult for travellers to ascertain whether the Roadhouse is open. Better signage would help.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pittjohn
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stopped at the Roadhouse late on christmas eve after a long drive on our way home. We were just tired and hungry. We could choose between two and went for the larger one with a TV. It looked nice eventhough the rate of $160 (because of christmas) seemed a bit high. The room was clean except for the area around the coffemaker. We would have appreciated a fridge or microwave. During night time some traffic noise bothered us. Value for money was not good.
The restaurant was much better. We both choose the articoke/leak lasagne which was very good and worth the money. The staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abceschweitzer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Sea & Sand Inn
Hostelling International-Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel
Beach Street Inn and Suites
Beach Street Inn and Suites
#3 of 54 in Santa Cruz

Been to Davenport Roadhouse Restaurant & Inn? Share your experiences!