“I think they Need to do some work - on protocol” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stonehill Tavern , A Michael Mina Restaurant

Stonehill Tavern , A Michael Mina Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Stonehill Tavern , A Michael Mina Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 142 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, Wine Bar, American
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: STONEHILL TAVERN at the Monarch Beach Resort in Dana Point offers modern American cuisine focusing on seasonal ingredients and elegant tavern fare with twists on home-style favorites. The menu showcases the restaurant's strong relationships with local farmers with offerings of California coastal vegetables, as well as local and seasonal seafood specialties.
New York City, New York
“I think they Need to do some work - on protocol”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had dinner last friday and I was dissappointed. Didnt have a reservation so at 720 we made one for 815 - well at 859 we were seated. We had a glass of wine and asked for orgnanic, but choose anther as $150 a bottle .is highly outrageous. The gal who served us needs a brush up course and I could not understand a word she said, and we waited so long we asked for some bread and they didnt have. When seated, they served some horrible sesame soaked out crust that they said was a special bread - the worst. My date ordered Chilean sea bass that was seved with a very salty broth and was very slimy - that went back. I asked that my dishe be re-served when her second dish was served - they should know that. The bottom line is that the service is sub standard, the food is fair, the prices are near outrageous and they have no bathromm in the restaurant. I just had to get out of there and had no more patience - I should have given the check to the maitre D - as thats where it belongs. I have been to every 5 star restaurant in 38 countries and this is a 2 1/2 star restaurant at best. again, the matre d owes me a refund -if you want to be a 5 star restaurant you need to have 5 star food and import professional staff. I may even give him a visit and instrauct him on protocol - make sure you use the restroom before you go to this place. stu gomer

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stugomer

Dallas, Texas
“A Must While in Dana Point”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

The ambiance, view, drinks and food met or exceeded our expectations. The service was attentive yet not stuffy and all the recommendations were spot on including their drink of the day which was delicious. This was the best dining experience of our 10 day visit to southern California.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank SantosdeTejas
Shanghai, China
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Great food, amazing service, and one of our top rated experiences during our tour of the US. We were a team of 13 most spoke no English, they offered a Mandrain speaking staff that allowed my team to enjoy further the taste and treats of the Stone Hill Tavern

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Warren K
Southern California
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Went here for Valentine's dinner and it was absolutely delicious. We had been to Michael Mina's American Fish restaurant in Las Vegas a few months ago and were so impressed that we wanted to try this local restaurant.

The food was absolutely delicious. We had tuna tartare, scallops and black cod and all were cooked to perfection with amazing flavors. Even the bread was excellent. We did not try the signature lobster pot pie that most other diners were enjoying, but I'll try it next time. The service was impeccable, the atmosphere is very nice but still relaxed (not stuffy), with dim lighting (not dark) and a very nice view of the property grounds. The food was served at appropriate intervals for a relaxing dinner. Will definitely be back!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CapeHope
Newport Beach, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,115 helpful votes
“Good restaurant with great pre-fixe food and a few service bumbles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I had dinner with 7 friends to celebrate my birthday last night at the Stonehill Tavern. It was our first visit, whereas several of our friends had been many times.

Overall, I agree with most reviews--Stonehill has very good to great food, has some uneven service moments, and is on the pricier side.

The restaurant has a nice modern style and ambience without being at all pretentious. Prices are not insignificant, but they are not out of the realm for a good restaurant like this at a resort like the St. Regis. Those who want cheaper fare shouldn't bother here.

Service was a bit rough to start. We were never offered dark napkins even though most of the men were wearing dark slacks or jeans--a no-no for a good restaurant. We had to ask. Also, they didn't have the Macallan 30 Fine Oak I ordered from the Scotch list. They did bring over a Macallan 21 Fine Oak with less than a shot's worth in the bottle but didn't offer it free of charge, something a great restaurant would have done in that situation. I eventually complained that the situation was handled poorly, and the manager ended up giving me the remnant gratis, as well as bringing another Oban 14 gratis. They erred, but they rebounded.

The website also includes a pre-fixe menu, but the restaurant clearly was confused as to what we referred---and they surprised us by not providing a pre-fixe menu at dinner. They obviously had a disconnect between their website and what they actually provide. In the end, the manager and chef were happy to create a pre-fixe for our party, along with wine pairing, and the overall meal was very nice. They charged $105 for the 5 course pre-fixe plus dessert, and they even offered a cheese course which we all declined.

There are obviously some management issues which need to be handled--fixing the website, having a true pre-fixe menu option or a chef's surprise tasting menu available, napkins, etc.

On the plus side, the food was very good. The sommelier was fantastic, and really put together a nice range of wines to complement the 5 courses, something I always judge harshly when not done well.

Yes, there were a few problems, but in the end they treated us very well and tried very hard to make up for the mistakes I had pointed out. They were very friendly, and service improved quickly thereafter. Overall, everyone had a very nice meal, and everyone agreed we would return to try again.

• Visited February 2013