“Wonderful Stay, Great Customer Service”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Monica, CA
“Wonderful Stay, Great Customer Service”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Beautiful place, pristine rooms, hotel staff was eager to help and very friendly and warm. We were taking a very very rare weekend away without the kids and it was everything we hoped it would be. And the pool area was wonderful! Only a few minor drawbacks which ultimately did not change my view of the place: 1) As a few people mentioned, the climate control in the room is incredibly noisy, especially during the night. If you're a very light sleeper, you might find this annoying. 2) Be prepared for every little thing to cost extra, but that's for par these days with many upscale resorts. I did have one issue at the spa, where I had made a reservation for a 9:30 yoga class, and I confirmed on the phone that the $30 fee for the class included spa privileges, but when I got there they told me it did NOT include this. Then, as 9:30 came and went I heard the attendant call the yoga instructor and it was very obvious from the conversation that the instructor had not been informed of my reservation. The attendant then told me that he was "running late," and i was free to use the spa in the mean time. So, I got what I wanted - the spa time and a great yoga class, but I would have appreciated if the attendant had been a) honest, and b) had not made such a stink about giving me what I was promised in the first place. All that said, this was a great hotel and I had a great weekend there!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We were looking forward to here but I have to say that it was a bit of a disappointment! The room we were given was dull and then we found that the bath was slow draining and after the "handyman" sorted it black stuff started to come up the drain. They moved us to another room but lost stuff on the way and it took ages to get everything and I ended up sorting it all myself. The valet parking was a disaster as they kept losing our car and we always had to wait ages. I really wanted to park it myself as the car park is across the entrance and it would have been much quicker to get it.
The service was poor most days and the hotel seemed to be unable to cope when it had weddings on, which seemed everyday at the weekend. They were running with kids doing all the work and trying hard and not really suceding. We got a discount off our bill for the above and lots of other small problems but I would not return. Maybe the poor weather when we were there did not help our mood! Oh, and also be prepared for the usual Marriott rip off internet rates. I would love to start a campaign to stop this but they must get more in from this than the bad will in generates.

Boca Raton
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed 4 nights and upon packing found spiders all
over our clothing. We lost a whole day going thru our clothing.
The assistant manager gave us 1 day off our bill but our calls to
head Manager for another night off our bill were never returned.
Stay elsewhere like the St Regis.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Part of the value of contributing to this site is being able to rely on this site for areas you haven't been to before. We wanted a getaway weekend but didn't want to go to San Diego for the 100th time. I did a little research and boy was this place a hit!

We flew into John Wayne to avoid the LA crush....it's only a 15 minute drive (depending on time of day) so that was a great start. We arrived and the pictures don't do this place justice. It really is beautiful and reminded us of driving up to the Del Coronado. Valet was prompt (5 guys out there) and we were in the beautiful lobby in no time.

Check in was a breeze and I decided to change my package at check-in and the staff gave me nothing but smiles while making the change for me. Our room was literally a second walk from the lobby and we were changed and looking around 5 iminutes after that. The room was nice, with a large flat screen and mini-bar. Only negative thing I can say is the condition of the carpet, which, like most hotels, needed to be cleaned.

We were also a 15 second walk from the pool and fitness center, which was beautiful and big...loved it! The pools were not unusally big, but the kids play areas and smaller pool were a big hit, as was the grassy area to play games. Service at the pool was very good and although the menu was limited, they were more than happy to accomodate special requests.

The Vue for breakfast buffet (on the plan) was outstanding with fresh fruit and numerous options for healthy dining. Service again was amazing and sitting outside just made things bettter for all of us tired of the heat in Arizona.

There are a number of restaurants within the 5 minute walk down the 118 stairs right off the resort at Dana Harbor. We ate and shopped there and had a great time with so many choices away from the hotel, yet just a few steps...no pun intended...away.

You can also rent jet skiis and boats here, as well as take a ride to Catalina. The other direction....down the entrance hill....and across the street is Doheny Beach. Again, a short walk and everything you need to rent is down there. It wasn't very busy during the week, but was very busy on the weekend. The waves are not big, and the area is very rocky, so if you go, water shoes are recommended. Good place for kids to enjoy the ocean without being scared of monster waves. Bikes, chairs, unbrellas,,,all at the rental place right...can't miss it.

The kids enjoyed the half day Kid's Club. I was afraid my 10 year old wouldn't like it, but she really did. Drop at 9...pick up at 1....and the staff was amazing. Kids had lunch, came back with all kids of crafts, and wanted to go again the next day. Very good option for those parents that want a little quiet time to relax.

We also enjoyed the 4 weddings that we saw over the weekend. Even with all those people, the hotel handled the crowds and it the music went off outside by 10pm.

Everyone wanted to return. Amazing hotel, top 3 staffs of all time, and a sure bet if you want a great vacation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Although this is owned by Marriot don't let this dissuade you from experiencing the romance of a period property. This elegant resort of a bygone romantic era is perched on the Laguna Cliffs made famous by Richard Dana in his book, "Two Years Before the Mast". Its location and the grand layout of its sprawling lawns reminded me of the Nantucket, Cape Cod and Hamptons compounds of the wealthy. It is clean, fresh and newly renovated. The service is incomparable. Everyone is anxious to help without getting in the way. The rooms are impeccable! And the beds.... the bedding is the most comfortable you can imagine. The housekeeping director told me they are the only ones of their kind in the Marriott system. Speaking of houskeeping, they were incredibly attentive to the few special requests we had of them. The bell staff was friendly, enthusiastic and very competent. They knew the area and were full of helpful hints. Lu and Brandy were very helpful in getting me into my room in a timely manner. The breakfast buffet was fresh and tasty and the outdoor restaurants were open to great views of the expansive rolling lawns of the resort. The pool was clean and well staffed. There were events and weddings going on while I was there and I did not find them to be distracting. In fact, they added an energy to the resort that many other high end properties are missing. The management obviously is tuned in to what kind of person makes an appealing employee because the people who work here are a great team dedicated to our enjoyment of their resort. Thanks to Erica in Admin for making a few things happoen for me at the last minute. I will definitely return and I highly recommend the Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa for relaxation, business, romance and weekend getaways.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank JPTEncino
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Excellent, brand new facility. I stay in many Marriotts and this is definitely among the top of them.

This was a family trip with two very young boys.

Pros
- Great location (not on the beach, but nearby at the bottom of the hill. Close to whale watching boats too)
- Great for families with young children (has separate special pool area for young children, also hotel arranged for a babysitter for a reasonable fee to help us out during the day)
- Great breakfast buffet (ours was included)
- Spacious suites (I think there are 8 of them or so, definitely needed if you have a family since there are two rooms)
- Wonderful staff - very pleasant and professional - hotel provided an arrival gift (champagne, nuts, strawberries)

Cons
- Parking is very expensive and mandatory if you have a car ($27/day, though can go in and out as much as you want)
- Restaurant was very expensive for lunch, but the view is outstanding
- Business center is minimal (its reall a Hertz office with a couple of PCs in it for web access, so dont plan on doing any work there)
- I stayed in a suite room, but suspect the non suite rooms may be somewhat small, though very appropriate for two people, might be a little tight for a family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This was a special reunion for four sisters who had not 'all' been together for six years.
I expressed this to the front desk when checking into our room. We were treated in such a welcoming manner with several extras added for our enjoyment. All of us were more than pleased with the hotel setting, amenities, & the extremely friendly people Marriott hired to work for them. Any special request was met with a quick response & graciousness. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an upscale place on the beach for a reasonable price [if you don't require an ocean view from your room & can compromise on the room size]. Oh yes, the real surprise is that finally a hotel has started putting decent coffee in the rooms. Great Frech Roast. Thanks Marriott!

1 Thank Jan63
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!