“Elegant Hotel with Magnificent Views”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 4, 2010

This hotel is a delightful hotel. Very comfortable and the refurbishment is very tastefully done indeed.
Although we didn't have a balcolny most of rooms in the hotel have beautiful balcolnies which we were told go very fast indeed. However, our room was lovely and the bed oh so comfy. We had a view of the ocean from our room along with the road that ran past the hotel.
It was quite strange when we drew up to check in as my husband had to ask if it was a Marriott for fear we had the wrong place. There are no Marriott signs as it retains its original name which was the Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa and the valets, porters, concierge and people who check you in don't wear any Marriott badges - in fact there is nothing Marriott to be seen apart from a small book in your bedside drawer with the history of the Marriott. This will in time change I am sure as Marriott have only been managing it for about a year and most of that time has been put to completely refurbishing which, as I have said, is wonderful.
There is a lovely balcolny where you can have cocktails, tapas food and coffee and muffins in the morning if you don't want to go to the restaurant for a full blown breakfast. We had quite a few cocktails each day which were delicious and the views from the balcolnies are outstanding.
I cannot fault the hotel at all it is quite simply beautiful. Well run and you are treated very well indeed. Anybody going this year will enjoy the hotel I'm sure.
It has a luxurious pool area with padded chairs and a bar where chefs also prepare anything you want. The place is quite heavenly.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed May 24, 2010

Overall, a really nice hotel, friendly staff, incredible views. I expected though to be able to walk to the shops and restaurants, but you have to either walk down a steep flight of 119 steps or walk down the steep driveway which was even worse. Not good for someone with bad knees so I drove down. Not a big deal though as there's lots to see in the neighboring towns as well. Also, there's very little to choose from in the restaurant which was a bit disappointing. As a treat to myself, I splurged and did the Invigorating Ritual ( mud wrap/massage) at the spa which was wonderful! I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My husband and I, in our 60's, stayed at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa for 3 nights to celebrate my birthday. Yes, they charge $27 a day for parking but it is worth it for staying here. The view is beautiful, overlooking the harbor and the ocean. Most rooms have a balcony, ours didn't. I used the exercise room one day but the walking around the beautiful park overlooking the ocean is great and I did this the second day. This hotel is only 15 minutes from Laguna Beach so we ate our dinners in Laguna but I'm sure there are good restaurants in Dana Point too. One night we ate at the bar at the hotel, not much of a choice but beautiful view. The room was lovely and clean. When the concierge, Lu, found out it was my birthday, she sent up chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to our room. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Great ambience and location. the only thing which pinched was that everything was paid so not a cheap place to be in. Excellent staff and I had great time in bar.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2010

On a birthday trip for my wife's birthday, we stayed at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott. The hotel is nice and seems to be recently renovated. We received a pleasant surprise from the hotel when we were brought champagne and strawberries. I wasn't expecting that and it was well received, especially after a long flight from the east coast.

Breakfast at the hotel was delicious and better if you order from the menu as there are more options.

The property is beautiful as it overlooks a cliff, hence the name, and seems to be a popular event destination. It's minutes away from the shops at Laguna Beach and a nice 20-25 minute drive to Newport Beach.

Great stay and definitely recommended if you're considering a nice hotel in the area!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2010

Very nice hotel. Great location. Very nice rooms. Wonderful beds. Staff worked with is to find a room we were happy with- we are very picky. One downside which is nit picky was that the restaurant charges $4 for coffee and OJ which they offered as though it was free. Food is very over priced but room included a $30 breakfast credit.

Reviewed April 23, 2010

My sister and I stayed at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa in April 2010. They are still undergoing renovation which did not impact our stay. Note, there is only valet parking at $27 a night. Customer service was excellent. We were well received. Incredible staff. When we arrived, we felt they had been expecting us. Such a welcome reception. The bellperson, Frank could not have been nicer. Frank offered to shuttle us to the Dana Point Harbor for dinner. He filled our ice bucket. Concierge had a wicked matter of fact sense of humor. Offered suggestions on wear to eat, wear to go and how to get there. Nice, nice lady. Rest assured, you need a rental car to get around here. Nice view of the ocean, but quite a ways off. Staff who worked in the restaurant on site "VUE" were very attentive. Laguna Lantern Park near by. We had to request more pillows and asked they fix the lock on the sliding door and the bath tub drain. Once those were fixed, nothing else mattered.

Looking forward to go back very soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
#6 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!