“Great Place to get away for weekend”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
santa maria, CA
“Great Place to get away for weekend”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The hotel was a complete pleasure. We were in Dana Point for family wedding. Location was close to Cannon's where wedding was located. Pool area recently remodeled. " Water Playground" was nice for 4 year old and even 13 year old. Enjoyed a late check out and hung out by pool, enjoyed view and lunch poolside. Took advantage of valet parking, consider it vacation. Liked the service throughout hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank pickinteeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Jersey
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I spent our 1st year anniversary here. The location is beautiful being close to beaches and lots of restaurants. The pool area was nice and relaxing; someone comes around and takes your drink orders. We had a room on the top floor with a bay window and a slight view. Comfortable beds w/ super fluffy pillows. Overall, a good weekend getaway! Only downsides are no free parking or wi-fi and the gym is right in the front of the hotel where everyone can see you as they check-in/out or wait for their cars.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I extended a business trip in LA to spend some time with one of my best friends and celebrate her birthday. We drove from LA in the evening on 9/13/09, had dinner and checked into the hotel with no problems. My friend made the hotel reservations and our plan was to spend the night and spend the day in the Laguna Beach /Dana Point area.

We slept late on Monday and after getting up initially, we got back into the bed (siting up) to chat and send a few text messages, emails. Well, I saw something on the bed move out of the corner of my eye. I looked and did a double take. There was a SCORPION in the bed between my friend and I! I told her there was a scorpion and to get out of the bed. I flicked the top sheet to get it away from us. It went to the floor. We searched for, found it and covered it with a drinking glass. It was 1 inch long. I called the concierge and told them that we found a scorpion in our bed. He was shocked and asked if we wanted to change rooms. YES!!!! We were too creaped out to get dressed in that room because we did not know if there were any others. Thank God we were not stung! Keys were sent up right away for a room down the hall. (They did fine here) and then the engineer came up and took away the scorpion that we caught.

We moved to the other room, dressed and then went to check out. My friend gave the person at the desk both sets of room keys and her name. He handed her the full amount of the bill! They didn't even show enough concern to adjust the bill. I was appalled that they did not adjust and comp the room for such a horrible experience. My friend had to ask for them to do something and that she was still dealing with the shock of what happened. The Assistant Manager - Felix (young in his twenties) said that he would take off the parking fee. What?! Are you kidding me. I spoke up and asked, "Is there anything else that you can do given what occurred?" He told us that he was very sorry about the experience, but the hotel is not responsible for things that get into the room because of doors left open. We, did not leave the doors open and this is a poor excuse to side step the issue. I told him that we found a SCORPION in our bed between us and the either one of us or both could have been stung and that this was an upsetting experience. I also mentioned that we have both traveled all over the world and never encountered an experience like this. He went back to his computer and printed off another receipt and gave it to us. he said I took $69 dollars off. Again we were insulted and highly offended. I was already annoyed at his indifference to customer satisfaction. I asked him again, " Is there anything else that you can do?" He said he was sorry, but he could not. I told him that I had photos of the scorpion. (Trip Advisor was on my mind as we were dealing with this person!) My friend looked at me and said that she would write a letter. I said, ok because I would have asked to speak to a more senior manager.

The service was lacking based upon how this issue was handeled. This is the worst service that I have received from any hotels in the Marriott chain. My advice is to make reservations to stay at the Blue Lantern Inn. Several of my colleagues and I stayed there on business and the service and rooms were wonderful. Another colleague stayed at this same Marriott during that visit. I can't wait to tell him what happened and to advise that no one from the company use this Marriott on future business trips.

Two gentlemen at the valet asked about our stay and we were honest and said not great and that we were disappointed. They asked why and we told them what happened. They were appalled that management did not handle the situation correctly. Maybe the gentlemen in the valet should be working the front desk and the Asst manager Felix should be working the valet.
My review would have been more favorable had the incident been handled properly by management.

The room photos are from the second room we moved to. The scorpion photos...nothing else to be said. They are a bit blurry - had to focus through the glass and on the floor.

Needless to say this was not a good start my friend's b-day celebration, thankfully the day improved greatly once we left the hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jazzin7
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed September 17, 2009

OK, if you can afford around $300 per night (with any discount) go there. If you do not care about some detailing like cheap furniture and cheap looking room at all, not exactly put tile in a bathroom or appreciable rust on the door from water - go there.
If you're OK to pay $100-200 over real price - go there. Go there; because you will get unforgettable location and view from your room (we had ocean front room with balcony).
The size of the room was acceptable but still small for my family. I prefer to have bigger one with two Q beds instead two double beds (I'm a big boy).
Also you will get more than enough towels and your room will be clean up well.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed September 17, 2009

The hotel staff told me all the beds were under a month old and it shows. Delicious! The hotel staff was really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario, California
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Overall, this hotel was great. Beautiful view, very friendly staff, and top of the line service. They had just opened up their new pool with a wading pool and water sprays for our little ones which was great. Everything, of course, was over-priced- the drinks at the pool, the parking, and the restaurant. We're used to staying at Marriott time-shares, not hotels, so it's expected. It's nice to have so much at walking distance- a park, shops, great restaurants, a little beach for the kids and the ocean institute. We had a great time and would return.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank angellovestotravel
longbeach
Reviewed September 3, 2009

The experience began with the front desk providing us (one couple) with two double beds instead of one king, our preference, and an ocean view, not ocean front. This, when checking in on a Monday, though it was summer, it was hard to believe there was not one king available in a resort this size. They said they would call our room if one became available. I called annonimously hours later from my wifes cell, and a Kung room was available, and when I later informed the desk from my room, i had to come down to the desk, then something suddenly became available after explaining how I found out. It was obvious from the start that since I booked the room at a discount, they weren't giving me their best options, and when I pointed out the "oceanfront" note on my booking confirmation, the woman at the desk said it did not apply to our room, but to the ammenities. When booking, there was no mention to the fact, this "beach" was a distance away with quite a considerable walk, and so many rocks in the water(next to a boat harbor) u needed to be on a board to enjoy. This is also the second time in as many times booking with hotwire the parking fees compensated for any kind of discount. In seatle, it was 32$ per night and here was 24$ per. What a welcome suprise! I wanted laguna beach and got Dana point, and though the conditions in booking with hotwire were adhered to, we got the bottom of the line treatment. Hopefully you'll have the integrity to post our honesty about our true experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!