“Overrated”

GreenLeadersSilver level
longbeach
“Overrated”
Reviewed September 3, 2009

The experience began with the front desk providing us (one couple) with two double beds instead of one king, our preference, and an ocean view, not ocean front. This, when checking in on a Monday, though it was summer, it was hard to believe there was not one king available in a resort this size. They said they would call our room if one became available. I called annonimously hours later from my wifes cell, and a Kung room was available, and when I later informed the desk from my room, i had to come down to the desk, then something suddenly became available after explaining how I found out. It was obvious from the start that since I booked the room at a discount, they weren't giving me their best options, and when I pointed out the "oceanfront" note on my booking confirmation, the woman at the desk said it did not apply to our room, but to the ammenities. When booking, there was no mention to the fact, this "beach" was a distance away with quite a considerable walk, and so many rocks in the water(next to a boat harbor) u needed to be on a board to enjoy. This is also the second time in as many times booking with hotwire the parking fees compensated for any kind of discount. In seatle, it was 32$ per night and here was 24$ per. What a welcome suprise! I wanted laguna beach and got Dana point, and though the conditions in booking with hotwire were adhered to, we got the bottom of the line treatment. Hopefully you'll have the integrity to post our honesty about our true experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southern California
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We just stayed at the Marriott Laguna Cliffs and would definitely return for another visit. The property is up on a small hill, but we had a nice view of the ocean. The property itself has beautiful grounds and a nice heated pool. The rooms were very comfortable. There is a park bordering the hotel that is great for kids to run around and play. Our only complaint was the hefty daily parking fee, but we knew that before booking the room so we just considered it apart of the room expense.

We spent most of our time in Laguna Beach, but didn't want to stay there since it is very expensive for a decent hotel. I haven't heard many positive things about Doheny Beach in Dana Point, so we stuck to Laguna beaches instead. Salt Creek is another great beach only a few minutes from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Mom2BoysTwo
Covina CA
Reviewed August 23, 2009

My daughter was getting married in the adjacent park (not a part of the Marriott), so my husband and I stayed at the hotel to assist w/wedding preps. The room had a balcony, and a beautiful view. The ocean is in the distance, and really not accessible from the hotel on foot. The hotel is non-smoking, however, our room smelled heavily of cigarettes. When we notified the desk they offered to come spray air freshener!?! We declined. The back of the bathroom doorknob was falling off, and one of the coffee cups in the room looked like it had been left by a previous occupant. At 5:30 a.m. I was awakened by someone on the grounds w/ a loud walkie-talkie discussing the preparation of breakfasts for the guests ( I did leave the balcony door open...).
My biggest complaint is that the hotel's Head of Security came down to the park as my daughter and I were decorating for the wedding to tell us that we were not allowed to have our wedding guests use the hotel restrooms. He also did not want our guests to swim in the hotel's (tiny) pool! ?! We explained that we all had rooms and were not freeloaders. He proceeded to tell us we were only allowed to have 4 guests per room to visit. He mandated that all wedding guests were to use the park bathroom which was so far away that we couldn't see it from the wedding site. That was what we had told guests anyway. The park was rented from the city of Dana Point, and the security guard was employed by the hotel. This man harrassed several other wedding guests that day, including the maid of honor, even though we had assured him that it was an intimate wedding, all guests were adults, and that we had no intention of intruding on the hotel or its guests. My daughter, the bride, was humiliated by this man on her wedding day. His affilitation is with the hotel, and I intend to file a complaint against him with the hotel, as well as with the city of Dana Point.
Additional points worth considering: very small pool, $24-$27 parking, other than the aforementioned "head of security" - staff is very nice, lots of children & teenagers, we were able to have the use of a steamer for the bridal gown, don't plan on a "beach hotel", super comfortable beds & lots of towels in the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Mission Viejo
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I booked this hotel for my parents for it's amazing views and location. My parents are in their 80's, so I was very specific about what i wanted: a room near the elevator, a balcony and ocean view. My confirmation receipt confirmed this. My parents arrived to be given a room way at the end of a hallway, no balcony and very high windows (my mom is tiny and couldn't see out). The confirmed requests were completely ignored! I wasn't with them and they are way too kind to raise a fuss. I found out after the weekend and called to complain. The first 2 people I talked to were very rude and said my parents should have spoken up if they were not safisfied. After I emailed the Marriott corp. I received a call from Eric, who was very nice. It still did not make up for my folks. Very disappointing!!! My folks were made to walk way too much. I booked the balcony so they could spend most of their time there and NOT walk.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank disappointedinMV
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I spent the weekend at this resort to celebrate our anniversary. Every single staff member we came in to contact with was friendly and attentive. The hotel is under renovation, but we were not disturbed in any way by the renovation. The breakfast buffet in the VUE restaurant was delicious and offered a wide variety of breakfast foods. The pool and jacuzzi were packed with children and since there was only one pool open, it was a little crowded and loud, but we still found a place to lounge and relax. The concierge staff provided great restaurant recommendations and the front desk staff accommodated every request with genuine interest and a smile.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SecretShppr
Orange County, CA
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I'm not sure if this resort is tailored for bringing your kids, but it was mayhem around every turn with little kids running, screaming, and crying everywhere. Don't get me wrong, the hotel itself is very clean, the pools & spa are nice, and the service staff is surprisingly helpful and polite.

The location is actually up on a hill, so don't let the pictures on the website deceive you into thinking it's "on the beach". You have to take a car down the hill, and even then you're at Dana Point Harbor (not beach), but Doheny is just down the road.

We stayed for brunch on Sunday, and the food was great. There was a wedding the night before, and most of the wedding party and guests were in the restaurant (packed), but it didn't seem to affect the prompt and very friendly service.

If you're looking for a quiet poolside / spa / beach resort experience though, this is not the place. The screeching of little kids playing, coupled with the constant crying of one of them that slipped by the pool is way too much to be able to relax. I don't feel like hiding in my room when I pay that much to stay at a resort.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed May 28, 2009

I have to say that Laguna Cliffs Marriott is hands-down one of the best Marriott resorts at which I have stayed when it comes to superior customer service and a fantastic and helpful staff. I have been a platinum member with Marriott hotels for the past four years, and I have definitely seen my fair share of Marriott properties. While this particular property isn't the most modern in the world (e.g., the lobby and restaurant music is stuck in the 80s and the decor could definitely use some revamping), the overall friendliness and extreme helpfulness of EVERY staff member eclipses anywhere that the outdated style and smaller sized rooms may lack. This is a fantastic property and the view is absolutely breathtaking. I would definitely come back here just to experience it all over again. If you are looking for a very low-key trip with a beautiful view and nearby beaches and shops, this is your pick. Again, I would definitely come back here!! It is wonderful!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!