“Unacceptable Experience”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed at the Lagune Cliffs Resort on 3-26-14 and I agree that the location and facility is gorgeous. My issue stems from someone in the mandatory valet taking liberties with my car. Went out for dinner the night I checked in and when my car was brought to me the next morning at checkout there was someone else's CD playing in the stereo, food wrappers on the passenger floor, and an empty orange juice container on the passenger seat. None of these were mine. As you can imagine, I am now worried who was been doing who knows what in my car?? I called the Desk Manager and she apologized saying she would look into it after talking to the Valet Manager and would call me back that day. No call. A few days go by and still no call. So I call the resort back, get the same Desk Manager, back on the phone and she's still looking into it and will call me. I never get a call back. More days and I call back and find out their investigation led to nothing. No valet says it was their items. No kidding....what did you think they were going to say?? Apparently there is zero protocol in place to monitor their valets in any way. Desk Manager offered to take care of my valet fee. I argued that's not enough and she said crediting the resort fee too was all she could do. Let's consider some more serious ramifications here....where could their valet could have taken my car for a spin to? what could they have done in my car without me knowing? what laws could have been broken that could only leade back to me? The sky's the limit really because they have no idea where their valets are. Someone clearly in my car taking a break for awhile. I consider this a violation of presonal property and the Laguna Cliffs feels that is worth about $50-60.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
8  Thank Jefftrez
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you for your review. We want to apologize for the experience you had with our valet service and deeply regret that you walked away from your stay disappointed and angry. We are very interested in learning more about this situation as our valet service is extremely professional and courteous and we have never received a complaint of this sort. It is quite puzzling to us. We take this very seriously and we would like to remedy the issue immediately. If you could please reach out to our Rooms Director, we would appreciate it. His number is 949-487-7517.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Beautiful property with magnificent views of the Pacific ocean. Being platinum members we got free upgrade to the suite without asking for it. Wifi worked well, breakfast was plentiful for about $25 per person. Rooms clean and room service was nice. would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We couldn’t agree with you more, the ocean views are magnificent. We thank you for the lovely compliments regarding our property, room service and speedy Wi-Fi. We hope you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade and we thank you for being loyal Marriott customers. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

This resort is located at the top of cliffs over looking the parks and harbor. Many restaurants, shops and the harbor are within walking distance. The walk back is a bit of a hike since its quite a steep hill or stairs to get back to the resort. The pool area is relaxing with good music playing. The two down sides of this resort are the walls in the room are thin... And the prices for food and drinks are ridiculously high! Other than that it is a beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Heather S

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the resorts close proximity to the harbor and marina. We hope that you were able to relax and unwind at our pools during your stay. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely take your comments into consideration. We hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I've been coming here for years and I haven't wanted to review this place because I don't want people to know about it. Sure there are the Ritz and Montage and St. Regis down the street but I truly prefer the Cliffs based on price, accommodations and overall service. If I had a complaint, it's that they don't give you enough pillows in the room unless you ask for it. The pillows are somewhat older and flattens easily so if you want to prop yourself up to watch TV or work, you're out of luck. But requests extra pillows in the reservation or call housekeeping and they will happily give you as much as you need. Try this hotel at least once and I guarantee you will come back again and again.

Room Tip: I like the third floor with a pool view but the other side is the view of the wharf so you can't...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Viet D
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for your 5 star review and for all of your wonderful compliments. We appreciate your recommendation to travelers and we too hope that everyone visiting the Orange County coast experience this resort at least once because we are just as confident that travelers will be back. We want to thank you for your review and for allowing your “secret” to get out. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We used marriott point for our week stay. We had to upgrade to the category 6 which we were told would be 15000 extra points. They ended up charging us 30000 extra points. Even the supervisor said it was 15000 but in the end the took double that. On top of that they charge a resort fee of $27.50 per day plus $32 per day parking. We ended up parking on the street but when we got the bill they had charged us double the parking for seven days. How does that happen? No refrigerator or microwave in the room. They did have a one cup coffee maker but the coffee was bad. They advertise free yoga classes. The yoga class is actually at the community park nearby and not run by marriott at all. It was a nice hotel but they nickel and dime you. They could add a few amenities for the price. Certainly not worth the points we gave up.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Michelle C
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback. We apologize for the mischarges on your bill and we will address this with our team. In regards to having no refrigerator, we do in fact rent refrigerators upon request. Our “At Your Service” Department or Housekeeping department are available to assist with any of those requests. We do in fact advertise that there are complimentary yoga classes in the park and do not state that the resort conducts the classes. We apologize for the misunderstanding. Many of our guests take advantage of the free classes and we have received nothing put positive feedback. Our resort fee includes many of the amenities you were addressing in your review including complimentary bike rentals, tennis equipment, boogie board rentals and high speed Wi-Fi in your guest room.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Really, this resort provides exceptional value and location for your travel dollar. The only reason that I am not giving it a 5 star rating is that a property of this size and caliber should have immediate and consistent wi-if access in the rooms. The first night I arrived, I couldn't access the web, called the front desk and he eventually fixed my access, although it remained somewhat spotty during the duration of my stay. Wonderful views and wonderful balcony. Would recommend to couples, just ask for a quiet room away from the families because the hallways can get noisy and they do have an extensive marriott kids program, so be aware of the noise factor.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for your review and great compliments. We appreciate your comments regarding our “excellent service, views, location and property.” We apologize for the spotty internet service you experienced during your stay and we can assure you that this problem has been resolved. We hope you have a chance to visit us again soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Very nice located but hated the $32 parking fee and the internet not free does not work half of the time. Also ocean view is partial and they charge extra for it. Please read the small letters. My reservation read $129 and with parking and resort fees and taxes it was more than 200 ! First time I get disappointed of a Marriot property. Also beds were uncomfortable.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank wilreyes

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your feedback regarding our parking and resort fees and will certainly take your comments under review. In recent parking and resort fee surveys we’ve conducted with our fellow resorts located on the coastline, we have found our parking and resort rates to be in line and are actually the most economical. We clearly state these fees so that our guests are aware prior to their arrival. In regards to your comments addressing our uncomfortable beds, we apologize if they were not to your liking. As you will read from previous reviews, the majority of our guests give us wonderful compliments and feedback regarding the comfort of the beds. Your opinion matters greatly to us and we appreciate your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!