“Old and tired hotel. Definitely not 4 or even 3 stars”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 28, 2008

This hotel is old and tired. The service is also terrible. The rooms are old and dingy and the pool disgusting.

The hallways to the bedroom and the bedroom was also dirty and old looking. The carpet is this weird pink/blue that just looked cheap and gross.

The chairs at the pool was dirty. The towels I used to cover it up has ciggaret burn marks in them. The area in general is just disgusting.

This is totally not worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ahkat
Write a ReviewReviews (1,422)

Reviewed April 15, 2008

Arrived to find out that you have to pay $24 a day to park your car in a self park garage! I am not cheap, but if you pay good money to stay in a nice hotel and then they nail you on parking too! Give me a break. Trust me, if you see the hill you have to drive up, you will pay the $24. After we checked in, me and my wife and a few other couples we where in town with for a wedding headed down to the pool to enjoy the sun. Two minutes later we were greeted by 3 security guards or hotel staff who asked all of us to see our keys. We were not being loud at all. We just arrived and most of us were laying down or putting sun screen on! It was extremely embarrassing and not to mention all the other hotel guests were watching. None of them were asked to show a hotel key I might add. Pool service was horrible. We were there for 4 hours and in that time I was able to order 1 diet coke. I would say the views were beautiful, some of the hotel staff were not up to par with the 4-stars and need to learn how to treat the guests.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mojo116
Reviewed February 27, 2008

We qualify to book with the government rate and booked directly with the hotel . I am always concerned that a discounted rate
will translate into a discounted room!, happily that was not the case.
We had requested a room on the lower floor and got it overlooking the pool with a small balcony and two chairs. The
sun was on the other side of the building in the afternoon when we arrived but we got to enjoy the morning sun, perhaps another time we'll swop!. Our check in was handled professionally and pleasantly, the staff greeted and smiled as we walked through.
The room was a generous size, and the towels and lines of a high standard (they sell them through the Marriot shop). We did not have time to use the Spa facilities but based on the overall experience I antiticpate it would be good!.
To reward good behaviour we decided to use the hotel dining room , sadly although the food was good the wait person was'nt she was completely untrained and managed to break the cork off in the wrong wine! and the meal was clumsily served with very little cutlery visible! In the morning at breakfast we noted the
whole restuarant was in need of refurbishment another time we will eat out in the hope of not only good food but professional service.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2007

Stayed 3 different times in November and December 2007. While not bad, I was not overly impressed, considering the setting and the reputation of the hotel. An example was during my last visit, the curtains were ripped apart, which was not good. I just get the feeling that the property is not being kept up properly. If you want a 4 or 5 star treatment, and for that price range, you may want to consider another place.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Expatgirl07
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Stayed here for one night on business. Quick, friendly check-in. My room was next to the elevator but I did not hear any noise from it (Surprise!) Beautiful grounds - lots of "lawn overlooking the Pacific" - I can see why weddings are popular. Bed very comfy, room very clean. Pool area w/view of the ocean and lots of loungers. Fitness center was very nice- they must have upgraded equipment recently - many weight machines, steppers, ellipticals, treadmills, bikes & free weights. Headphones provided.
I think the varying opinions about this hotel on this website are mostly related to price. I made the reservation through my company's travel website and paid less than $200. Way less than the Ritz would have cost. If I was paying $400 per night, my opinion might not be so enthusiastic. But the hotel is the hotel - it is definitely two steps above a regular nice Marriott because of the extras and the views and property.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Royzee
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Just spent 3 nights at property. The hotel is situated on a cliff, with a nice view of the water. Checked in with no problems, front desk staff were very friendly.

I checked into my room, 2065. The room was very large with a king size bed, and balcony overlooking the tennis court. The bathroom was average, there was not bathtub, but a very large walk-in shower. I had
read several reviews about the walls being paper thin. This is an accurate assessment. I could hear noise at all hours of the night.
Another big negative for me is the thermostat. It was locked down so to speak. The only option was to have the fan on auto. The fan never came on. Had I been able to turn the fan on, it would have blocked out
some of the noise. I was finally able to remove the panel infront of the thermostat off, to turn the fan on. It was making a loud banging noise. I ended up calling the front desk to send maintance up at 6am to fix the problem.

The hotel has a nice bar with outdoor seating and heaters. Drinks were
very pricey. There is also a cafe, but it closes at 1pm. The outdoor pool looked very nice with ample seating. The pool is heated. I would rate my stay as average. It was nothing exceptional.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank CARose
Reviewed November 5, 2007

I stayed two nights at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. They lent us tennis rackets and balls to use on their clay court, the food was excellent (I was there for a rehearsal dinner and had the breakfast buffet on Sunday), the gym was decent and everyone was friendly. The bed was also extremely comfortable and the room and bathroom were spotless.

Two inconveniences- parking (valet and self park are the same price) was expensive- $22/night and they wouldn't let us extend our check out after 11am on Sunday. It's is definitely worth the price if you want to stay in a nice hotel in Dana Point- the St. Regis and Ritz up the street are easily double or triple the price.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
#3 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!