“Poor experience - Won't stay there again” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Decatur,GA
“Poor experience - Won't stay there again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

I rated the stay overall as Terrible...not what I would expect for an expensive weekend at a Ritz property in Southern CA. Also note that I wrote a letter to the Manager of the hotel, George Munz, and I never received a response.

Check-In: issues when the front desk employee told me that there was a problem with my credit card (Platinum Amex) and I asked was she sure. She appeared to have a negative attitude towards me at that point stating there is a problem and asked for another credit card. When the 2nd card "didn't work" I asked if there was an issue with their system and she said no and didn't not appear very polite. After another 5 minutes of waiting she abruptly said that there must be an issue with the hotel system and "one of your credit cards will get charged". I found this front desk service level to be poor especially after reading a case study in business school about Ritz-Carlton being the gold standard for customer service.

Once we approached the room, housekeeping was still in our room (it was approx 10:45pm). The housekeeper left and approx an hour later, we discovered a pair of women's underwear on the floor behind the bathroom door. Again, not what we would expect for a $350 a night room. When we called the front desk, they simply stated "that's disgusting" and didn't even offer to change our room or at minimum have housekeeping come back to inspect the room and remove the underwear. I found this level of service to be sub-standard.

The physical property location is prime and is situated on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. A nice aspect was the grassy area where they have chairs where you can sit overlooking the water and write in Ritz-Carlton journals.

Housekeeping during our stay was inconsistent. Some days we got a bathmat, some days they didn't leave us one. One day we had morning breakfast order forms, the rest of the weekend we had to call and request them.

I can report that the Concierge service was excellent...they arranged a car service to LAX and charged everything to the room which is convenient.

Overall, I was turned off by the problems we had and had higher hopes for a Ritz experience which seemed to overshadow the good points. We will choose other properties along PCH that we have stayed at before such as the suite rooms at the Holiday Inn next to the Ralph's on PCH in Laguna.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BDavisDecatur_GA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

I vacationed here last week and was very, very impressed. The grounds are impeccable and our room (3rd floor ocean view) was perfect. The view was absolutely breathtaking.

Service was superb, as well. They offered a car service to take us to dinner and back (parking was tough to come by in the area of Laguna Beach with the restaurants and shops), that was very nice. The beach service was great. Within 10 minutes of asking, we had 2 chairs and an umbrella set up for us near the water.

We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2007
2 Thank txtraveler000
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, every staff member at this hotel makes you feel awesome!!!
My wife and two children stayed 7 consecutive nights at this hotel. Our first choice was to stay at the Four Seasons Aviria however they were booked and their rates were higher than the Ritz Carlton's. In the end we are happy we stayed here.

Pros: exceptional and efficient service by ALL staff members; modern rooms with great plasma TV, excellent pool and beach services, great room service.

Cons: add their daily resort fee and daily valet fee to the already substantial daily room rate and you have a very expensive hotel however I always say you pay for what you get and you get it all here! The room elevators were located in a very awkward place- you had to walk through the dining room as people ate to access the elevators...strange and inappropriate in my point of view. Room walls are very thin and therefore you can hear everything...a bit annoying.

I really cannot say any thing seriously negative about this hotel. We loved our stay.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — room elevators
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank FirstClass001
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2007

Our honeymoon at The Ritz Carlton was perfect. We spent 11 nights at the hotel and it was incredible. We had not even stepped through the entrance on the first day when we got greeted by the bell boy taking our luggage and a lady greeting us by name without us introducing ourselves first. We then get to the front desk and are told that we have been upgraded to a better room over looking the ocean- impressive. The room was spotless when we got to it, we were welcomed with chocolates and a hand written card congratulating us on our wedding and the view was second to none. We ate in the hotel most evenings and found the food to be superb, I can especially recommend the sea-food buffet on Friday and Saturday night, the view from the restaraunt is over the ocean, try and sit next to the window if possible! The service in the hotel over-all is top class, the youngsters that work in the hotel are clearly well trained in manners and attentiveness. The weather was wonderful as was the pool. The surrounding restaurants are lovely and the hotel provides a free chauffeur to take you. The concierge was happy to book everything for us and once we got to dinner we were 'vip's' from the Ritz and got perks like better tables and actually once got a free dessert! Go to 'The Chart house' for an amazing evening with a view over the harbour. I would give this 5 out of 5 and even though a little pricey I would say that it was worth every penny. I would go back to The Ritz Carlton and I look forward to my eventual return,Enjoy!

• Liked — The style and luxury
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosensoden
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2007

We just returned from our Memorial Day Weekend stay at the Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel! The resort is amazing! The staff and service was truly Ritz-Carlton. I was able to experience the restaurants and spa and was completely blown away. Best hotel in the area. It is where style meets service in this part of Southern California.

• Liked — the rooms were very nicely appointed
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank 1117Chicago
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2007

I recently held my wedding at the RC, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience! The hotel is beautiful and peaceful, the staff is friendly and polite - never stuck up, and always appear at just the right moment to offer help ... all in all, it was, well, perfect.
I've stayed there on a seperate occasion, and the experience was the same! Among the best hotels I've stayed at...

Now, that isn't to say that there were some comments from other reviewers that don't apply... the hotel does have some repairs that need to be made (paint chipping on floorboards, etc), but they are so minor to the entire experience that it can easily be overlooked.

• Liked — The beautiful grounds, the food, the staff, THE BEDS(absolutely the most comfortable ever!!)
  • Stayed April 2007
3 Thank TrvlGalTx
OC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2007

I am a South Orange County native and stay here as often as I can. Sometimes I wonder if people make up issues. All hotels have air conditioning units you can hear. I cant imagine EVER finding a totally quiet hotel. Really that was odd to me. Heck I cant even sleep without noise.

Anyway the service has always been perfect, never overcharged, valet perfect, staff does anything and everything. I personally like that the cheapest rooms are small. They are intimate and I dont know I sleep at a hotel, not do kartwheels, so I cannot imagine needing much more room.

However, we usually stay in the suites which are perfect size. Never settle for anything less than an ocean view.

The most beautiful thing about this hotel to me is waking to the ocean breeze and looking out my window to see the surfers bobbing up and down early in the morning. This is a spot only a few locals use and is so quiet and peaceful.

Montage up the street is also great, newer too, but not The Ritz if you know what I mean. And the building is old, but the interior is not, it is perfect. I love this hotel.

Stayed May 2007
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,440 reviews
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,082 reviews
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#8 of 22 in Laguna Beach
BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!