“awesome hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 6, 2006

This is a great hotel. The staff is wonderful. The colors are great brown/blues, sea colors. The public area's are beautiful as are the rooms.
Right on the cliff above the beach.

Stayed: November 2006
3  Thank christy2064

Reviewed November 26, 2006

Our stay at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel was simply fantastic! We enjoyed a ocean view room on the second floor and slept to the soft sound of the surf pounding the beach 160ft below.

The staff was top notch! No college kids with an attitude at this resort! The front desk person at check-in was ultra professional and accommodating. We had booked two rooms and wanted them close to each other. She put us within two rooms of each other... both with an ocean view. Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. If you can pry yourself away from the ocean view out the french doors, you can watch TV on a large plasma wide screen tv.

One thing that really impressed me was the hotel greeter when you drive up to the valet. She remembered me with a warm "welcome back, sir" after I left the hotel for a few hours earlier in the day. Now that's awesome!

The food is expensive but you're paying for the whole experience. In any other setting, I'd say they're crazy to charge what the do, but here, it's worth it.

The location to probably one of the best or THE best in coastal southern CA. You can walk the path down to Salt Creek beach or simply gaze at the calm Pacific and watch the sail boats drift by. If you're feeling a bit lazy, enjoy the hotel's small cart shuttle that will drive you down and then back up from the beach! The sunsets are stunning..... if it's a really clear day you can watch it sink over the island of Santa Catalina.

A top notch hotel that is simply stunning!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank cc02641
Reviewed November 15, 2006

First off, I will preface this review by stating that we have stayed at some of the finest hotels all over the world. We were a bit concerned about staying at this hotel due to some of the negative reviews, but figured it was a Ritz so how terrible could it be!?! I am SO happy that we ended up staying here, what a beautiful hotel. We stayed at this hotel for my birthday for 4 days in October and got upgraded to a top-floor ocean view, which definitely made our stay even that much more pleasurable. The view is one of the most amazing that I have ever seen! The hotel sits high up on a cliff overlooking the ocean, thus basically wherever you are in the hotel you have an incredible view (restaurants, gym, sitting areas, etc). It is a bit of a hike up & down to the beach, but they provide chairs & transportation for those that don't want to walk it. The staff could not have been nicer and we just felt so relaxed the entire time we were there. Everything was immaculate, from the pool to the grounds & gym - which was one of the nicest hotel gyms that I have ever seen. They also provided free bottled water all over the hotel, which I thought was a nice touch. Thus, in conclusion, I highly recommend staying at The Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. Basically, my husband and I agreed that if you find something wrong with this hotel you should just stay home - that no hotel is going to satisfy you if this one doesn't!

• Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank Traveler1199
Reviewed November 14, 2006

As a frequent traveler of luxury hotels both on vacation and business, metropolitan and exotic, this hotel is definitely on my list of hotels that really stand out.

The hotel has undergone a refurbishment since my last visit, which has converted this once classic hotel into a newer "Crate&Barrell" hip resort. Sadly, I think The Ritz changed its look to compete with the newer hotels that have moved in the area, which in my opinion was a mistake on the management's part. This is probably the only strike the hotel has in my book.

I can go on and review this hotel, but there is really no need to. I strongly urge you spend time in the nearby hotels such as the St. Regis (basically a really nice Westin/Hyatt) or The Montage (I can't seem to understand why I always leave broke from this place) to truly appreciate The Ritz. Keep in mind, these are a fellow traveler's personal opinions. To each his own.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank jamesdatraveler
Reviewed October 25, 2006

The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel is at one of the most beautiful locations in California. Up over a cliff, you look out on the beach, homes, and other cliffs during the sunset. It is absolutely gorgeous. The staff is very friendly, and gracious, as well as the concierge. The rooms are nicely decorated, with comfy beds, and flat screen TVs. The food at Restaurant 162 was excellent looking over the water, but there were people wearing baseball caps and t-shirts and shorts. The crowd at this hotel is not dressed that well, and the hotel does not enforce it, which is my only complaint. Otherwise, it is a huge complex, with really long hallways and walks to rooms. The big pool can get noisy if you want quiet, due to kids and calypso music, so instead go to the much smaller pool nearby, which also has food and drinks available. Overall, this hotel is elegant in style, with a great location, and perfect for families

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Brotsy
Reviewed September 27, 2006

The best hotel I have ever stayed at......by far, best service, food, location. Room kinda small, but nice plasma TV, great view, best cobb salad I have ever had as far as all around service & hotel my favorite place I have stayed.Great fitness center (every machine has a TV attached to it) & beautiful, relaxing spa...hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank managirl
Reviewed September 16, 2006

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in August 2006. Gorgeous location, great , beautiful Spacious Rooms,Excellent comfortable bed.. Thats all the Good i have to say. Lousy , lousy service in the Restaurants, and especially Room service. Took an hour and half for breakfast room service!!! That's inexcusable. Btw, breakfast for me and my 3 kids in the room was $125!!! Pathetically slow service by bell staff, the pool waiters were nonexistent. I sat by the pool for 4 hours and nobody ever asked me if i wanted a drink or a menu. Detestable. For $ 500 a night, I expect outstanding service. I will NEVER stay at ANY Ritz- Carlton Hotel anywhere in the world. Any Four Seasons Resort beats their poor service.

Stayed: August 2006
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!