“Big dissappointment”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockton, CA
Reviewed May 8, 2006

My wife and I stay at a lot of top rated hotels and were dissappointed with this one. When we arrived we were told that we didn't have an ocean room with a king size bed. We told them it was guaranteed and the lady stated they never guarantee a king. We then produced a print out that specifically guaranteed a king. She then went to the back room. She came out a few moments later magically finding the room we were guaranteed and then made us wait two hours. This is after being guaranteed early check in. We found her to be arrogant and condescending. They gave us a room on the ground floor where prople were milling about just outside our window so we had very little privacy. The room was small compared to what we are used to.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed April 29, 2006

My fiance and I celebrated our enagement at this resort and has an absolute blast. We booked a garden view room, but because the concierge knew about the engagement, they upgraded us (for free) to a deluxe oceanside room complete with a balcony and direct view of the surf. Needless to say, we went to sleep every night with the balcony door open and listening to the sounds of the waves crashing in. The views were spectacular. We saw dolphins swimming in the ocean three separate times, and watched every sunset. This Ritz is quite possibly the most romantic hotel in the US. The grounds were impecebly manicured, and the fresh cut flowers in the hotel lobby/ entryway were gorgeous. The staff was courteous and attentive and eager to assist with any request.
I can't imagine a better experience and we will be returning as soon as we can. No expense is spared at this resort so do not expect to "save" money--but the extra money is worth it.

Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank Youngins
Reviewed April 25, 2006

My wife and I stayed two nights on the Club Floor in a room with an ocean view. Kevin and Penny, the concierges, were professional and friendly. The property is gorgeous! The first morning we took advantage of a mnus tide and poked around in the tidal pools down on the beach. The surfers were making the best of choppy three-footers.

There are lots of families with small children so don't expect a tranquil poolside experience. None of les enfants were misbehaving, just ebullient shrieks of delight. Still, we enjoyed both outside jacuzzis.

I checked my bill on the in-room TV after a day and was surprised to see a $20 resort/spa fee. I'm not sure if they charge the groups like Kraft Food doing off-sites the fee. I would've felt needled, however, I had spent an early hour in the spectacular fitness center. I'm on the elliptical machine against the glass, and out in the water I saw 2 grey whales, a mother and calf, working their way back to Alaska. Then, a group of 5 tremendous dolphins appeared close into the beach going in the opposite direction. Well worth the $20.

The grounds were perfectly maintained. No weeds, not a brown patch of grass, every plant and tree was immaculate. We would love to return some day. Simon, Christophe runs a first-rate operation.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank Dittmarschen
Reviewed April 24, 2006

Nothing to complain about. The staff was perfect, the room was perfect and the service was outstanding. Everyone seemed to go above and beyond their call of duty. We were there for our 1 year anniversary, and the manager even sent champagne to our room. Worth every penny spent. The Sunday brunch is to die for!

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

It really doesn't get much better than this.

Our garden view, ground floor room had garden doors that opened up to a private patio. The area was secluded by landscaping and provided a beautiful spot for peaceful reading. The room was spacious. The large plasma TV was a nice feature. The bed was the most comfortable I ever slept on. We also apprectated the walk in closet and well appointed marble bathroom with his and her vanity areas. Clean, comfy bathrobes for our use, newer bedding that was fresh and crisp and twice daily room cleaning all added to the pampered feeling.

Staff were always discreet and friendly. I never passed anyone without a friendly "hello" or "good morning".

The hotel is a gem but the real reason to stay here is the location. Parked high on a cliff top the majestic combination of mountains meeting ocean will take your breath away. A healthy walk (or courtsey shuttle) down a beautifully landscaped pathway leads directly to the Pacific ocean. The public beach is clean and a safe and pleasant place to walk and enjoy the kites flying in the sky or the surfers riding the waves.

The oceanfront dinning room, which has tiered levels, (everyone has a view of the ocean)was superb. A pianist playing romantic tunes and attentive professional staff ensured a perfect evening.

This hotel is not for the budget minded but for those seeking a very special experiance that will last forever.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2006

How much do my wife, children and I enjoy staying here? We are coming back in summer and paying the property to connect our suites (that don't actually connect) so we can have more room for the month.

Why would we pay a hotel to make doors where there are walls? Because this is the probably the best run Ritz Carlton in the entire company and absolutely the best hotel experience in Southern California ($$$$$$ no object). This hotel consistently makes us feel like royalty. The people here are so good, so loyal, so devoted to their craft that it makes us misty. I have never stayed at a hotel with so many staff who have been here so many years, who care so much. It's like a rare moment in time.

My wife and I love everything about this property. I hate to sound contrived but it is truly more than a hotel. The people who work here have become like family we see season after season. Such good, decent people and a property that ticks like this; with the amenities and features this place offers 'can not be met' (let alone beat) in Southern California.

Smokey wood burning fireplaces and 80 feet of bluff beach frontage with 24 hour room service from 3 restaurants all overlooking a mile of crashing waves on the beach??? Hello!!?? Please have my hotel rental Benz pulled up.. (the same model I drive back home) .. Who can do that? .."My daughter wants to go to the petting zoo".. it's 10 minutes away in San Juan Capistrano... Starbucks on the corner.. "no problem I'll get it for you".

See you in Summer Mary W., Mary, Penny! Well done Mr. Dravinski. Simon Cooper take note: You have a winning team here!

• Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank theLuckiestGuy
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 27, 2006

Only 700 a night for the Ocean view room with shower/tub combo, low-hanging ceiling, glass "sculpture" walls, and the soundproofing of a tract-house built in the 80s.

Please.

Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!