“A glimpse to me of what Heaven must be like...”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I organized a meeting with about 100 broadcasting executives from around the world back in September 2011 and this review comes a little bit late but this is one of those properties that deserves a huge shout out for their exceptional service, spectacular views, amazing food and..and...and. I knew I was in good hands when planning for this huge meeting from the get go as calls were returned within the second, there was a collaborative effort and my ideas although quirky were somehow incorporated into our meeting and everything was done with a smile. I did bring goody bags for the meeting coordinators I worked with which is unusual since I was the client...but that is how good I enjoyed working with the wonderful staff at this property and I would highly recommend this property for small or very large meetings. Thank you for making me look so good!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

We enjoyed working with you as well! Thank you for your business and please reach out if we may be of any assistance. We look forward to your next visit whether it be for business or pleasure.

There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel

Reviewed April 29, 2014

When you arrive at The Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel, you know you have arrived at a pretty special hotel! The sweeping drive and reception entrance are beautiful and perfectly manicured. The greeting from staff was warm and inviting, especially after a long flight from London. We were registered quickly and there was no pushy service trying to take bags for us when we were happy to deal with them ourselves.

It was around 11pm when we arrived and unfortunately the only food option is room service when we were ravenous and wanted to sit down for a meal. Never the less, the meal ordered from room service arrived in good time and was warm and tasty.

The public areas of the hotel is really beautiful and I did feel that the room we were allocated didn't quite match the quality of the rest of the hotel. It wasn't really lacking in anything other than it was just a bit plain and dull. The fire pit on our balcony was a nice touch, especially while having coffee outside in the morning.

The service throughout the hotel in the various restaurants, bar and pool is a good standard, very friendly and efficient. On our last morning we had breakfast in the main restaurant. The views over the bay are stupendous, unfortunately our waitress was so completely overwhelming it put us off our dining experience. There's polite and attentive and then there is false over attentive, the latter being very off putting.

If you like to make use of hotel gyms, this one has got to have the best views of any gym, hotel or not, that I have ever seen. Its well appointed and perched over looking the pacific....perfect for taking your mind off crunching miles on a treadmill or cross trainer.

I managed to fit in a massage in the spa, which, once again was beautiful and very professionally run but my word its expensive. I didn't check the price of the one hour massage before I booked it and with service charge (added for your convenience) it cost a whopping $250. It was a pretty good massage but I don't see any justification for charging that much.

All in all this is a lovely hotel in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. We enjoyed creating memories for you and hope to have the opportunity to do so again soon. We greatly appreciate your very detailed feedback. Thank you for sharing it on Trip Advisor. Please feel free to contact the Executive Office should you wish to seek assistance in the future.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

For the most part, we had a wonderful experience for my wife's birthday celebration from check in to check out. Just a few issues though. We ate at Raya in the hotel. The food was OK but the service was overzealous. We did not have 2 minutes of peace without someone coming over to ask us if we were enjoying ourselves. There is a fine line to good service. On another note, we enjoyed our couples massage and were well taken care of. Prices, however, were quite steep in comparison to other fine hotels we've visited. My biggest gripe though has to be about getting charged $35 for valet parking when paying very high room rates. Come on people, this is really pushing the envelope. We had breakfast in our room and the food and portion size were great. The staff went out of there way to give us a enjoyable experience but I do not expect I will return to this venue anytime soon.

Room Tip: The ocean view room with fire pit seemed below the view line and really cut off the beach completely...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alvinf
ritzcarltonlaguna, Execuive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We have shared it with our leaders and are always continuing our quest for service excellence. We couldn't agree with you more that The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel is a wonderful choice to celebrate a special occasion. We hope to celebrate more with you in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

5 stars all the way. Beautiful hotel, breathtaking views, wonderful customer service on club level. I believe it was just totally renovated. The decor is absolutely beautiful. we were given a suite and the bathrooms are huge, all white marble, surprised they had a typical tub with shower curtain but it really didn't matter, everything else was wonderful. Room service food was excellent as well.

Room Tip: a suite or ocean view and club level is always a perk.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. We hope you took home some life long memories and you will return soon. We loved seeing your photos!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is a hotel that is worth the price! We stayed in a small room because all the fire pit rooms were small. It was so worth it!!! Firepit was unbelievable! My kids were awed! The staff, service, grounds. What can you say, first class! Make sure you splurge on ocean view only. Well worth the extra cost! My favorite meal was room service breakfast on our terrace with the fire going against the Pacific Ocean as our backdrop. Forget the weird fees. Don't get mired in the petty small costs. This hotel is a must stay for bucket lists!

Room Tip: Ocean view. With fire pit
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

We enjoyed having you and your family experience our fireside ocean front guest room. Isn't it wonderful? We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was second stay at the property and first time back since 2008. The lobby, common areas, and setting are second to none. It is an older property but is well maintained. The guest rooms had soft renovations last year and are very nice and clean. Since it is an older property there are no walk in showers in the bathrooms and tub shower combo has a shower curtain. The bathroom does have a double vanity. This is not exactly what you would expect from a resort of this caliber. The rooms types vary widely. I would highly recommend an ocean front room. Beware, the coastline view rooms on the fourth floor are very shaded due to the overhang from the roof and make the rooms very dark. We originally booked a coastline suite but moved to standard oceanfront room since it was so dark in the room and such a long way down a very narrow hallway to the coastline view rooms.
There is an issue at this hotel with people smoking on their balconies. We complained and there is nothing they can do since it is allowed. The hotel manager even admitted to me it was a rising problem for them. You can read other reviews stating the same horrible experience.
The hotel is also extremely pet friendly. It was not uncommon to see very large dogs. In my opinion, a hotel is no place for a dog.
We had club access during our stay and having experienced the club level at over 30 different R/C properties this is by far one of the best. The food selections were different everyday at every presentation. The staff was outstanding and the view from the front half of the club is amazing. This club is well worth the money.
The overall service at the hotel staff was good but not great and lacked the personal touch. There were a number of times the hotel could have easily anticipated our needs and created a "WOW" factor very easily but sadly each time they missed the mark.
There is a lot of competition in the area for luxury hotels with the Montage just up the street and the Terranea Resort closer to LA. I have stayed at both and they are all three very unique in their own way. The Montage and Terranea are much newer properties. The biggest difference in the three great properties in the rooms since the R/C is so much older.
Overall, I would definitely stay here again. The overall feel of the property and the surrounding area is outstanding. The beaches are great with miles of walking trails right on the beach.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Club Level
2  Thank CRDSC

On behalf of all our ladies and gentlemen, thank you for staying with us and providing your detailed feedback. We greatly appreciate your time in sharing your experience. We couldn't agree with you more tha our exclusive Club Level provides a level of elegance and service excellence that is rare to find. We are delighted you enjoyed your experience overall. We value you and are looking forward to creating more unique and personal memories for you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

When you enter the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, you see one of the most beautiful lobbys that you will ever see in your life. Smell, look and feel is very professional. The service is great and the staff are somewhat pleasant. I ran into a few staff members who were not that nice. The balcony had a beatiful unforgettable view of the ocean and I loved the beach. The toughest part of staying here was the dated rooms. The rooms were old and had a mildew smell that seem to get stronger as the days got hotter. I don't know if it was coming from the rug or the furniture but everything in there needed a steam clean. The bathroom was old as well and had a few cobwebs in them. As soon as I walked in bathroom I was meant by a unknown bug crawling back and forth looking for food possibly. The walls are extremely thin and the noise level here was very very loud. I could hear other guess talking in their rooms quietly. The nicest thing I did see in the room was the TV. Bottom line, it looks like they spent looks of time updating the lobby but not the rooms where the guest stay. This place is great fo meetings and events, but not to stay more than 1 night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Peter T
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for your very detailed feedback. We greatly appreciate it. On behalf of all our ladies and gentlemen, we are saddened to learn you did not have the best experience possible while being a guest at our resort. If you would like to discuss your feedback further, we would be delighted to speak with you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!