“Just Plain Wonderful!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We have been to many Ritz's and the staff here is just plain amazing. Every person we encountered went above and beyond. The hotel itself is beautiful. Great pool! Walks on the beach were a great plus. All the restaurants have great views. We went to the steakhouse for dinner which was superb. Breakfast at Raya was delicious as well. High quality food. Very relaxing place to be. We will definitely be back!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

It was a pleasure having you with us! We hope your experience was unforgettable and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,407)

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband and our 3 daughters and I went to the Ritz for a mellow weekend away (we live in San Diego). It was fabulous. The staff could not have been better and they truly made a point of making us feel special and sincerely welcome to the hotel. We appreciated the service of Diego at the Dana pool, Liece (sp?) and Alex at Raya, and the entire team at 180 Blu (especially Matt). We spent our first night enjoying the fabulous view overlooking the ocean while enjoying great food and drinks at 180 Blu. They have an incredibly talented singer, Ryan, who plays the guitar and sings there almost every night and he truly makes the hotel evening experience an unforgettable one.

We ended up not leaving the resort once all weekend- there was no need to as we felt so happy and content to be catered to and doted on at the Ritz. I am not one for gyms while on vacation, but this one was top notch as it had incredible views of the beach which motivated me to actually go in and work out one of the mornings we were there. The rooms were lovely and I recommend definitely upgrading to an ocean view if possible as you won't regret it.

We will definitely be back as we had a truly wonderful experience at this resort!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank amoreno9
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

It was a pleasure having you with us for your staycation! Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. Our ladies and gentlemen look forward to welcoming you back soon. We have many more experiences awaiting your return.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We just moved from NY to LA and we were searching for a regular weekend getaway place that meets our high standards in travel...luxury, tranquility, great service, great restaurants and bars...so all you have to do is walk-in and pamper yourselves. We usually stay at high end places so there was little to pick from! We were pleasantly surprised that the hotel was everything we hoped for. Starting with the very friendly staff to the beautiful setting. The rooms were clean and bright and we had a beautiful balcony overlooking the ocean. We had drinks at the outdoor terrace bar served by Garrett who was a hoot! The cocktails were very creative - try the OC Martini. We also had drinks at the lobby bar and the service was attentive and the view picture perfect. The best part of our stay was dinner at Raya. The food was superb, and so was the view and service.
The only criticism was that we ordered room service breakfast to take advantage of the view. This was ruined by the self centered pig smoking a cigar at 8am on a terrace room below making us retreat inside. The hotel should have a non smoking policy enforced...specially smelly cigars!
All in all a wonderful place and looking forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Avoid idiots smoking on tbe decks!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scarvalho7
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

It sounds as if you enjoyed your overall experience at the resort. Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. We look forward to creating many more wonderful memories for you in the future. Welcome home!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

This hotel only gets 3 stars because of the facilities....not service.

This is a lovely property in a lovely location with lovely views, but the service is very disappointing. In advance of my stay, I sent three emails to the hotel using the email address on their website...two were related to arranging spa appointments and one related to my reservations. I travel extensively and often the only change i have to contact a hotel is after hours or thru email on the plane. None of my emails were answered and therefore, I ended up calling the hotel once I was back in the office. One of the two people I talked with was extremely unhelpful and did not address my concerns or was the least bit apologetic about the lack of response. I put this behind me even though this cost me significantly more for 2 more rooms I requested. I shared my concerns I had sent an email requesting two more rooms for one night and got no response but was responded to with a lack of empathy.

I was looking forward to my stay, but when I arrived at the hotel, I stood in front of the cab's trunk while I watched bell staff standing around chatting. I finally went to the cab driver and asked him to help me...he got out and took my luggage out and it was only once I was at the door someone asked if they could help me.

Even more bothersome was the hotel did not have a record of my spa/hair appointment at the front desk....I couldnt' recall if the appointment was 12:30 or 1pm...the gentleman assisting me attempted to call the spa and no one picked up. He promised to call the spa/salon and call my room with the information. It never happened...not a surprise...I called several times myself and finally had someone answer the phone. I would like to suggest the hotel's front desk share some information about the resort, where the spa is, restaurants etc. While I've already racked up over 52 nights at Marriott so far this year and have Platinum status,and while I was purchasing 3 rooms for this evening...my upgrade was a coastal view for an additional $75 per night. Bad follow-up, bad responsiveness all around at this hotel.

Positive...room is lovely, staff at the restaurant is nice. I had very good service at the salon. Bell staff, front desk and whoever is supposed to answer emails for the hotel lacks significantly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Judy3720

Thank you for your valuable feedback. It has been shared constructively and taken seriously. On behalf of all our ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the inconvenience. For future reservations and requests, please contact the Executive Office directly. We look forward to assisting you in the near future and providing you with the service you have come to know and expect from The Ritz-Carlton.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Perched on a bluff above one of Orange County's nicest beaches is the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. My Southwest flight took me in to John Wayne Airport, where I received the surprise upgrade to a convertible Camaro. Forget the freeway! I dropped the top on the Camaro and trekked through Newport Beach to the PCH. The drive was longer, but the scenery was worth it. Arriving in the motor court at the Ritz, I was certain that I had hit rush hour. No matter, the valets got the car and bags squared away and my carefree holiday had begun.

I had booked through Amex Fine Hotels. There were no upgrades available, no surprise on the holiday weekend, but my pool view room on the lobby level left me nothing to complain about. The setting in relaxing and I was just fine to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view of the pool and the mountains. Everything in the room with Ritz quality. Plan to sleep in on the sumptuous bed.

For dining, I enjoyed the patio and the steakhouse. The patio is a gem of a spot for some sushi. That sushi was expertly prepared with top quality fish. The flavors really popped even with very basic selections. Take a light jacket, the sea breeze will give you a chill after sunset. The steakhouse is a very nice experience that you should not miss out on. This is no bustling Ruth's Chris type operation. This is a small dining room, very quiet, contemporary and yet with a bit of an old school club feel. The food was exceptional, as was the service. Cocktail service at the main lobby bar is also outstanding. Let the bartenders work their game for you.

Carve out some time for the spa and the fitness center. If you don't like a full on ocean view in front of you when doing your time on the elliptical machine, well then, you're probably researching the wrong resort in the first place. The pool is also worth a good bit of your time. The coastal areas of OC are a bit warmer than those up in LA, so you'll be very comfortable. The beach is a surfers beach, so you can have fun watching them from the bluff or down on the sand. It's a good hike up from the beach, so be comfortable.

So what are you waiting for, book the trip already!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your glowing review of our resort and ladies and gentlemen. It was a pleasure having you with us. We are delighted you enjoyed many of the wonderful services and facilities our resort has to offer. We hope to welcome you back very soon....we have many more memorable experiences awaiting you.

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife were here for 3 nights for our honeymoon. We booked a garden view room. On arrival we we're pleased to know that we were upgraded to ocean view room. Laura Haupper from guest services was excellent with all the info we needed to make our stay special and also with things to do around Dana point. We were surprised with tray of chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in the room. We had great service at the Raya restaurant. Except for one waitress who treated us as if we wandered off a third world country into Ritz, Raya has excellent staff. Plus they have some exquisite food and wine combinations. I can't talk enough about the excellent view from the restaurant and from our room. Beach is easily accessible and less crowded, making it very cozy.
They have great room service. We used there spa devices for couples massage. It was literally the best massage we both had. We hoped we could get it for more time, slots were booked and we could only manage 30 minutes.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Congratulations! Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel to celebrate your marriage. We enjoyed creating an experience for you that will last a life time. Laura is an exceptional employee and we will share your kind words with her. On behalf of all our ladies and gentlemen, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

The hotel is luxurious and we have stayed there in the past and utilized the restaurants and bars, all of which were wonderful experiences. We had lived in the area and enjoyed the hotel from the day it opened. We have moved out of state now, but go back every year when we visit former neighbors who are still locals. We couldn't wait to go and enjoy the setting and have a drink and watch the sunset.

The hotel sits on a hill above the beach and the ocean views are incredible. It was a perfect 75 degree winter day and the view from the outdoor bar was breathtaking. The service was outstanding, as usual. All the staff are friendly and nice. The drinks were good but very expensive, as expected in such a facility, in such a setting. The complimentary homemade potato chips were very good and a nice touch.

Unfortunately, the beauty of our experience was dimmed by the smell of cigar smoke. We asked the server about it and he said the hotel had set aside the rail area for smokers and apologized. I imagine they felt the ocean breeze would take the smoke away but sadly it didn't. I was under the impression that California had stopped allowing smokers in outdoor eating and drinking areas because so much of their outdoors is used for dining.

I hope the manager will read this review and take my comments to heart and make a change.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Janis I
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

On behalf of all our ladies and gentlemen, thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience overall and we thank you for your feedback regarding cigar smoking at our outdoor lounge 180blu. Your concerns have been heard and taken seriously and constructively.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Laguna Beach House
Laguna Beach House
#3 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!