“BE CAREFUL OF THE "GARDEN VIEW"!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This hotel is off the chart beautiful! It is regal and elegant with views to die for.......Unless, you happen to get a garden view room. I didn't reserve an ocean view, so I knew we weren't getting that. But, at over $500.00 a night I figured the Garden View would be pretty spectacular. I called before we arrived to take care of some arrangements. The view I reserved came up on the phone and I was told our view would be "lovely". So, we get to the hotel, we enter our room, look out the glass doors and.....there was a 10 foot high YELLOW CONCRETE WALL, that was length of ten hotel rooms, not kidding! It honestly felt like we were in someone's basement. We had to go outside on the patio (that was shared with the ten other rooms, NO PRIVACY) and look straight up, head cocked back to be able to see the sky. Looking to the left, looking to the right and looking straight ahead all we could see was concrete. I was so disappointed and so blown away that this Ritz would even have views like this for their guests. If you go to this property, and reserve the Garden View, make sure you tell them NOT to put you on the first floor. That really was a huge let down. It rained quite a bit during our trip and we spent a lot of time in our room looking at that concrete wall, not a beautiful garden.

Service was pretty good, except when I got out of the shower and was trying to blow dry my hair, I discovered the in room blow dryer only blew cool air, it was broken. I called down to the front desk and told them what had happened. The lady I spoke with was so nice and apologized and said they have a new blow dryer to my room right away. 25 minutes later and one more call, the blow dryer finally showed up. I had to jump in the shower and re-wet my hair because it took so long. Seriously,at The Ritz Carlton? I really had some bad luck at this hotel! Not what I was expecting at all. Everything outside of our room was wonderful! The restaurants, other views, and staff service were superb!

Room Tip: If you reserve Garden View,make sure you're not on the first floor.
Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GEORGANNCHESTERFIELD
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for your very valuable feedback. It has been heard, shared, and taken very seriously. We cannot apologize enough for any hardship your stay with us caused you. The next time you visit us, we will be sure to accommodate your request for a room on a higher floor. We hope you enjoyed your overall experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I'm fortunate to have stayed in some great properties all over the country. Without a doubt this is my all time favorite hotel. The views are second to none. The service is stellar. The weather and location are both ideal. The prices on site can get a bit steep but in the case of the Ritz Laguna they are worth it. I highly recommend catching a sunset from 180 Blue while you're here.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jski529

Thank you for the glowing review of our property. We enjoyed creating memories for you and look forward to many more to come in the near future. We couldn't agree with you more that the sunsets from 180blu are absolutely breathtaking!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I am a young professional and was staying here for a conference Mar 1-4. I have never experienced a hotel like this. The service was outstanding. Whether it be valet, front desk, or in the restaurant, we were treated extremely well. My room was very clean and elegant with a wonderful view of the Pacific Ocean.

Room Tip: Hungry but don't want to pay up the roof? Check out the Beach Hut Deli near by. Food and service...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us! We are delighted to know you enjoyed your experience and we hope to welcome you back for some R&R soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I spent 5 luxurious days that the Ritz! We have been looking forward to this trip for awhile. My husband had won a Presidents Club trip through work and we were beyond excited at this years location. We have stayed at the Ritz before in different cities but this takes the cake.

We had a "Garden" View room which was not really the case. We could see the Ocean and hear the Ocean from our glorious balcony! The rooms was nicely appointed with usual gorgeous marble bathroom, wonderful little coffee and fridge nook. Turn down service with the chocolates was also wonderful.

We loved just wandering around this gorgeous resort. There were great little fire places all over the place. Since it was cool when we went it was nice to hang in front of the fire. Very relaxing.

The gym was also great! It was very small but very nice considering you had a great view of the beach and ocean from any piece of equipment. Also nice bottle of water!

The beach was gorgeous. It was a great workout just walking to and from the beach. It was only sunny 1 day we were there but we went down to the water at least once a day the entire trip! So fun to watch the surfers and just walk around with the sand in between our toes.

We only got 1 day by the Pool but it was also nice, drink a little pricey but well worth it to be at the ritz. We are hoping to return some day to enjoy another trip!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you for staying with us! We are delighted you were able to enjoy the sand between your toes and the warmth of the fireplaces. We are so fortunate to have such a fantastic location! We look forward to creating more memories for you again soon.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Outstanding location on the beach where you can enjoy the beauty of Dana Point. This site is a favorite for local surfers who tend come every morning and afternoon to catch some waves. The service is standard Ritz (very good). The rooms are nice. Probably the only downside is that the lounges seem to be understaffed to handle more than a small number of patrons. Definitely a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view is great but comes at a cost so decide how much time you will really be in your room wher...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeff C
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

We couldn't agree with you more that our location is incredible. The Cities of Dana Point and Laguna Niguel are extraordinary places to visit; especially Salt Creek Beach. We hope you took home some wonderful memories with you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We recently stayed at this property. Upon arriving, we were exhausted and just wanted to relax and hear the ocean from our room. We took showers, got in comfy clothes, opened the balcony doors and what did we hear? A yip yip dog barking! Ugh! It was a nightmare! Once I realized that yip yip was going to continue to yip yip and it wasn't a solo yip, I called the front desk and spoke to Casey, the front desk manager. The net net to this review is that Casey was exceptional and he turned a very tired, unhappy customer into a very HAPPY one. His reaction was fast and we were moved to a cozy room that satisfied our every desire. The property was exceptional - we dined at Raya - amazing food and lunched at Bar Raya overlooking the fabulous beach, again delicious. Can't say enough good things about this property - it is obviously being run well at the top as all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. We don't see enough customer service these days and this place exemplifies it! Cheers to a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ksr2013

Thank you for your visit! We are delighted to know that Kasey helped turn your negative experience into a most memorable one. Our ladies and gentlemen strive to provide service excellence every day for each of our valuable guests. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

The title really says it all. Our family planned a very special trip to California for my Dad's 60th birthday. From the moment we arrived, staff at the Ritz did everything in their power to make the experience unbelievably special for all of us, but especially my Dad. The staff were so friendly and welcoming and really provided the best service I have ever received. Every time you passed by a member of staff, they said hello and always had a really genuine smile - it seemed like they really enjoyed working there.

The rooms were beautiful, so clean and there was even a bottle of wine waiting for all of us on our arrival. The setting of the hotel is incredible - right above the beach with gorgeous views. My parents' room even had a fire pit out on their balcony which was a really nice touch.

We ate and drank at all of the bars and restaurants and they were really top notch. The breakfast was really great - especially with the great service we had from Joel and Miguel who were just the best ever.

After our trip, my Dad told me that it was the best trip he had ever had. I am just so grateful for everyone at the Ritz who made that possible.

Room Tip: Pay extra for an ocean view room - so worth it!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Page M

Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel for such a momentous occasion. It was our pleasure creating memories for you and your family. We hope to welcome you back again and again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!