“Stunning location and fantastic customer service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Stunning location and fantastic customer service”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This stay was a surprise for my girlfriend's birthday. From the first moment I walked into the lobby and was greeted by name I knew this hotel would provide the right touch. I advised the front staff of the occasion and was upgraded to an ocean view room. I went back to the beach where the birthday celebration was going on, and afterwards walked up the long road to the front of the hotel taking in the spectacular view - with the pretense of going to the bar for a drink. I ran into the same customer service manager who I had spoken to earlier on, and he had asked how we were enjoying our stay at the hotel. To be honest this was the best way I could have thought to break the surprise to my gf that we were spending the night! We opened the door to our room and were thrilled with the birthday card/gift and the truly magnificent view of the sunset over the Pacific. The pool was great, the roses in the lobby were truly amazing, and the service was top notch. The facilities were quite nice as well, big pool big hot tub, nice area. The spa was very nice as well, but to be honest it was a bit strange that there was no receptacle for towels so there was nothing to do but leave them on the ground...a bit strange. The sauna was not in good shape either and seemed like it was in desperate need of a renovation. Overall though a truly amazing stay. I would come back for sure.

Room Tip: It's worth spending the money for an ocean view room, trust me.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel for such a momentous occasion! We enjoyed creating a memorable experience for you. Could this be the start of a yearly tradition? We hope so! You will pleased to know our sauna is now in tip top shape and we hope you have the opportunity to enjoy it again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
princeton, nj
Reviewed June 2, 2013

we stayed at the hotel over the memorial day weekend which might have made things worse, nevertheless, this was the poorest of the ritz carltons we experienced to date- and we've done a few. Key points:
- average room, tight balcony, nice view over bay and neighbour -at same time
- best western style pool: too small compared to the size of the hotel, completely full of kids jumping in the water, impossible to find a chair, annoying music in the background, completely average and overpriced food (fake crab sushi anyone?); the "other" pool was too small and too crowded. jazuzzi-full of sand and with a handicaped chair making it completely unattractive; completely unstylish, geared to the masses
- car valet service a nightmare; 30 min wait (after calling for the car from the room); totally missed the sunset and the dinner reservation
- beach chairs- unavailable at the time
- hotel grounds- might be pretty- but how many weddings can one stand in a supposingly "gateway" weekend
overall, nice location (but NOT Laguna), overpriced and overrated. if you want luxury and quiet, go somewhere else.

3 Thank beachloverPrinceton
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We greatly appreciate it and take it seriously and constructively. Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. We hope we have the opportunity to provide you with a more memorable experience in the future. Please contact the Executive Office directly for your next reservation. We are delighted to assist you.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel has a major wow factor. Set high, right on the edge of a bluff overlooking an active ocean and beach scene, it is hard not to be impressed with the location of this property. The public spaces of the hotel are also very impressive. These areas are glamorous and elegant and make you feel like you are staying at a top hotel with a stunning location. Then you get to your room and that feeling fades away.

We stayed in an ocean front room on the club level. Although the room was a little small for a deluxe hotel, good design could have compensated for this, but that is not the case here. There is nothing truly wrong with the room. It is just that given the look of the rest of the hotel and the price paid, the rooms are disappointing. The soft blue and grey colors made the room look dull. The art work was uninspiring. The limited furniture was basic dark wood, nothing special about it. The empty space below the flat screen TV on the wall was for your bags. The closet has some small drawers available, but no real room for bags. It all just looked very bland and boring. The lounge chair at the end of the bed was the only cool looking feature in the room. The bathroom was no better. It was all white Carrera marble and mirrors with thin chrome framing. White Carrera is timeless, but the mirrored walls and vanity areas were dated the moment they were installed. To make matters worse, many of the rooms in this hotel have connecting doors. The connecting doors pretty much line up with the bathroom doors. Our neighbors were relatively quiet, but if someone is inclined, a guest could zero in on a neighbors conversation. On the plus side, we had a larger and more private balcony than other rooms and the view was outstanding.

As for the club level, the service was very good and friendly, but the club room is also a little disappointing. It consists of one cut up room with three tables and a small balcony on the ocean side, and about four or five tables, a sitting area, and fireplace on the garden side. A service/presentation area divides the room. It is a fine space, but like the rooms, lacks the glossy look of the public spaces. The club level is the entire fourth floor of the north wing. Unless you plan on being around a lot and having a fair amount of food and drinks, it may not be worth the extra money.

As stated, overall the rest of the hotel is very impressive. The gym is small, but a full workout can be achieved and it truly is a very stylish space with one of the best gym views to be found. The main pool does not have an ocean view, but it is set in an attractive courtyard with nice landscaping. The quiet pool is in a separate courtyard, but it is small and does not look as inviting as the main pool. The spa is small but very nice, and use of the steam and sauna areas is included in the resort fee, as is wi-fi in your room.

This is a great looking hotel and the location is amazing with outstanding views. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We really enjoy travelling and a good hotel stay. For us the room is an extremely important part of the stay. We want to look forward to getting back to a beautiful room that we can enjoy staying in. It was disappointing to us to have to return to such a bland room, especially since the rest of the hotel is so stunning.

We have stayed at the nearby St. Regis before, and while that hotel has bigger and more attractive rooms, the views, while very nice are no match for the Ritz. So what to do? The Montage? We have not stayed there yet, but it could be a good compromise.

Room Tip: Ocean front view rooms have amazing views - but not to worry if you don't go for one because mos...
5 Thank J_and_A_1
Thank you for your very detailed feedback. We greatly appreciate it. We always enjoy seeing our guests' photos as well. We are delighted you enjoyed your overall experience with us, and especially
all that our beautiful surrounding have to offer. We couldn't agree with you more that the Pacific Ocean is the most magnificent decor of all! If we may be of assistance to you at any time, please contact the Executive Offices directly.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

To whom this may concern,

After the experience my wife and I just had at your hotel in Laguna, I felt obligated to inform your management team of what an amazing staff you have at that location! From the moment we stepped up to the front desk, your attendant Becca was very warm and welcoming to my wife and I. She lined everything up for us rather quickly and in the same breath, explained to us what the Ritz had to offer and how great the room service was. So we followed Becca's advise and ordered room service right away since we arrived fairly late; not only did our food arrive promptly but it tasted great too! After we ate, we had a minor technical difficulty with the movie were had ordered so Becca sent the engineers up immediately. I can't remember their names but they were both very nice and incredibly apologetic about the TV issue as they were fixing it and eventually it was working again. But about two hours into the movie the TV had its issues again, so we went to bed. In the morning I called the front desk and explained the TV situation, the person I spoke to apologized several times and told me they would have it taken care of. I let them know that we would be at the beach for a couple of hours and he said it should be taken care of before we return. When we got back to the room the TV was back in action and the room looked great! There was a message on our phone from one of your supervisors, McClinton. He apologized again for the error with the TV, he had our movie credited and assured us that if we would like to move to a different room that he could have everything taken care of for us. I called McClinton and thanked him for his help and generosity but I told him we were fine in the lovely room we were already in. He told me if we needed anything at all, don't hesitate to call him. It is impressions such as that that set your staff apart from others in such a great way! McClinton, who I believe was a manager was ready to bend over backwards for the simple inconvenience of a TV malfunction. Talk about service!

After the beach, we went to the center bar on the third floor to get a quick bite to eat before going downtown. We were greeted by the bartender, Kelly. He was super cool and told us everything about the lunch items. We both loved the food Kelly helped us choose. We had a nice conversation with Kelly and learned a bit about Laguna Beach and the history of your Ritz. We felt as though we were chatting with a old friend and it is service such as that that you can't put a price tag on, you simply cannot teach personality, let alone an outgoing and unique personality like Kelly's.
The following morning we were about to check out and I spoke with Juan at the front desk. Juan had asked me were I was from and I told him I have been in Vegas for ten years but am originally from Traverse City, Michigan and he smiled and said that he has been to TC several times and he loves it there. It's funny because the population of TC is only about 15,000 people because it's a fairly small town, many visitors call it "God's Country" because it is so beautiful. But on that same note - I told Juan that National Geographic did name Traverse City the fifth best place to visit in the summer time in the US.
The reason for this letter is to make your corporation aware of what an amazing team they have at the Laguna Ritz Carlton. It is service such as this that will keep myself and many others coming back to the Laguna Ritz. Everyone from the valet attendants giving us a heads up on cool bars and restaurants, to the young men on the beach setting up our umbrella and chairs for us and informing us about the surfing at Laguna, to the house keepers being so damn nice and making our room look immaculate. It just makes for an awesome experience.

We are from Vegas and my wife and are surrounded by an incredibly wealthy crowd on a daily basis with our jobs. We are both rather personable, we share our experiences with others and I assure you we will start referring all those people and our friends to your Laguna Ritz. Because last I checked, word of mouth is undoubtedly the best form of advertisement. I appreciate your time and look forward to visiting again. Good day.

-Billy

• Stayed May 2013
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
What a testament this is for our ladies and gentlemen! Thank you! They will be thrilled to know they were mentioned in your post on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your experience with us and we hope we have created memories for you that will last a lifetime. We look forward to welcoming you back to your new home away from home. Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel, for a work incentive trip. The views/property is beautiful and it was great to be so close to the beach and jogging paths. I stayed in a pool view room and the room was nice (a bit on the small size) but the bathroom was all marble and quite spacious. The staff were in general extremely attentive and the attention to detail was excellent. There were a few challenges (ie. told that the shuttle to downtown was easy to hop on, open-air- which was not the case, it was the city bus and 20 minutes late), pool services was extremely timely as they were understaffed for a busy holiday weekend.

In general, I would definitely stay there again and worth the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank awonica
On behalf of all our ladies and gentlemen, thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. We hope you have a chance to return for a non-business related trip so you can truly rest and relax. Thank you for your feedback regarding the city shuttle/bus and the pool service. We have heard you and will use this feedback for training purposes. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the resort May 24, 2013 - May 27, 2013 for a wedding. We cannot say enough positive things about the hotel, the service, the staff, the food, the location or the management! A couple weeks before our arrival I called the hotel and spoke with Julie in the executive offices. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary while attending the wedding and I wanted to surprise my husband with something special. After Julie gave me many options, I told her I would call back with what I wanted to choose, but I got so busy before we left town that I never did called her again. Yet when we arrived last Friday, we were met by staff and escorted to our beautiful room. Minutes later, there was a delivery at our door of champagne on ice, champagne flutes, and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries with "Happy 25th Anniversary" written on the plate in chocolate, and a lovely card, complements of Bruce Brainerd, the manager. Julie and Bruce, thank you for making our stay so special!!! We truly appreciated the recognition, the ambience of the property, and the wonderful service. I still want the recipe for the incredible coconut shrimp appetizers served at the wedding! Everything was perfect, except for the fact we could only stay three nights! A truly exceptional property with outstanding service!

1 Thank mimi91311
We enjoyed having you just as much as you enjoyed being here! Next time, please stay longer. Thank you for the kind words. We will be sure to pass them along to our ladies and gentlemen. Isn't our resort an amazing location for a wedding? We enjoyed creating a memorable and personal experience for you. See you soon!
San Carlos, CA
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a very beautiful resort with wonderful service and attention to detail. We enjoyed our stay here but were shocked at the prices to dine on the property! The meals were good, but not worth the $$ in my opinion. A kid's breakfast for a 2 1/2 year old was $16 before tax and tip and there wasn't much to it. We were finally turned on to a restaurant called Quench just outside the property that was much more in line with normal dining prices and enjoyed a very nice dinner there on our last night. Many more options and the "side" dishes were inexpensive. The Concierge said they didn't know it as it wasn't one of their "recommended" properties. It would be nice if the Ritz could offer a more causal dining option especially for families with young children not looking to spend a fortune on a meal.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor near the small pool and it was a very dark room with little natural light...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank awalker19
Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. We hope your little one enjoyed their stay! We greatly appreciate your feedback and have taken it seriously. When you do return to the resort, please let our Executive Offices know and we will ensure we have some wonderful dining options for you and your family. We will also ensure you have a gorgeous view from your room.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!