“Breathtaking views, Romance awaits!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Marietta, Georgia
“Breathtaking views, Romance awaits!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I knew the moment we arrived that we were in for a real treat. My husband and I were here for a professional conference, but we stayed on an extra two days just to enjoy the hotel. Of course, you expect great customer service at every Ritz, and this one does not disappoint! We had an ocean view room with a balcony - outstanding! I think ours was one of the smaller rooms, but it was still wonderful. Loved the marble bathroom with separated toilet room, beautiful double vanity. The patio bar/grill became our favorite hang-out when the weather was nice. We actually spotted several whales - our first ever! We were fogged in one day, and the indoor bar was very nice as well. Be sure and explore the surrounding areas. TIP: The coffee shop has free coffee, but you have to ask for it. We didn't learn about it until the last day. Just ask for "Ritz-Carlton coffee," and it's on the house. I was a little disappointed that no one pointed this out since we went for the $8 coffee our first three mornings. But hey, no biggie. Now you know! We splurged on a heavenly couple massage. Splurge is the key word here - $600! But since this was tacked onto a business trip, it stung a little less. I would do it again!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view with a room closer to the elevator. Those rooms have a little bit better view...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We love your detailed description of our property...thank you! Whether you visit us for business or pleasure, we will be sure to provide you with the finest personal experience. We look forward to creating more memories for you in the future. Congratulations on the whale sightings! Aren't they spectacular?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I was at the hotel for two nights at the end of February celebrating a birthday. The hotel property was fine with amazing views but what made our visit was the staff. From Alex, the Ecosteak hostess, who arranged my BD dinner (and who sent a birthday card and present to our car as we were leaving) to the ladies in the spa who presented special gifts to us (and who gave fabulous massages), all staff were great. They literally could not do enough. I would also recommend Ecosteak Restaurant--good service and excellent food. I would agree with an earlier poster that you must KNOW to ask for complimentary coffee at the Marketplace. Rather odd--I'm accustomed to coffee being offered in the RC lobbies. Other than that, a great stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Happy Birthday to You! We can't thank you enough for choosing to celebrate with us. We are delighted you enjoyed our resort and our fantastic team of ladies and gentlemen. We hope to be
your first choice to celebrate many more special occasions at. We are looking forward to creating more memorable experiences for you soon.
park city UT
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here for a business meeting and founbd it to be a really first class operation, as one would expect. the location and views can't be beat. there is a beautiful jogging path running from the hotel down to the beach and then inland for several miles. The restaurant was excellent and the pool was a very nice spot to relax. The beds were extremely comfortable. If choosing between here and the Montage just up the coast I'd still give the edge to the Montage as I just think the service, ammenities and food are a bit better. But, overall you'd be hard pressed to go wrong here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executve Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your visit! We are delighted that you enjoyed our property and service. We take great pride in offering the finest personal service and facilities that ranks amongst the best in the world. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
New York
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for a business conference. Food & service was excellent. Catering people did a wonderful job. Every staff person was friendly & polite.

Property is very nice. You really cant beat the views of the pacific ocean from most parts of the hotel.

There was one strange thing: At the "Market Place" coffee shop a large regular coffee is $4.50. plus tax. After I spent $10 per day (2 cups a day) on coffee I was told that I should ask for the "complementary coffee" at the Market Place.It turns out if you order a coffee at the counter its $4.50 plus tax, but if you know to ask for a complimentary coffee from the same person at the same counter, it's complementary. They did say the paid coffee is Peet's & the free coffee is Ritz, but they both tasted good and very similar to me.

The hotel room & bathroom were a little small. No separate stall shower just a shower in a standard bathtub. The room lighting was uneven & a little too dark. The balcony was very small and it was actually difficult to open & close the balcony door without moving around the outside chairs.

Overall it really is great hotel, I just expected a little more from the hotel room, and was confused about the coffee situation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HowTraveler
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and enjoying our stellar service and amazing surroundings. We are delighted you had a memorable experience with us and we look forward to creating more memories for you in the future. We have taken your feedback constructively and are glad you shared it with us. Thank you!
reno, nevada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Ritz Carlton is one of our favorites and after meeting our Guest Relations Coordinator, Lynda Castagnola, I couldnt have had a better experience for my stay there. She is one in a million and everyone should take lessons from her. I was there for my Dad's 75th birthday and my sister's 50th. From my room to the club access level to the special cakes she had done, it couldnt have been more perfect or memorable! If you are looking for the perfect place overlooking the ocean, this is the one and she is the one to help with the perfect "proposal"..so much a book was done featuring Lynda for this couples' special day. Gave me goosebumps reading it. The staff has impeccable customer service! From the bellman, valet, front desk, etc. You definitely want the club level too..They do not scrimp on good wine or liquor and it's all included. The desserts are to die for. Also, they have a great Terrace overlooking the ocean for having cocktails and provide blankets as well. Their ocean view rooms are very nice and I had the pleasure of staying in the lower floor suite that is to DIE for! 2 FIREPITS AND beautiful views! Coastline view as well. Well I cant give enough kudos to this resort or Lynda for that matter. They really know how to treat their guests and what a treat it is to be here! Thank you again Lynda for lov9ng your job so much. It was a PLEASURE to meet YOU! I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: High floor ocean view near Salt Creek Beach side...they have two different wings...if you can get th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
You may have experience goosebumps while you visiting our resort, but we have goosebumps reading your wonderful comments! We are delighted you experienced our true mystique. We enjoy creating memories for our guests that last a lifetime. We can't wait for your return...we have even more in store for you for your next visit!
Omaha
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here in April during a big swell and loved my view from the room. I kept the balcony doors open for the breeze which was really lovely. The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. I ate a few meals here and was not disappointed. The property is huge and could not be in a better location. The decorations for Easter were fun as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ckayjr
Thank you for your visit! Will you be joining us again this spring? We would love the opportunity to create more memories for you. Thank you for providing your feedback on TripAdvisor.
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed aT the Ritz Feb 20th thru 24, 2013. We had been there many years ago and loved the traditional decor recognized as RITZ in the past, however they have remolded to more contemporary decor. Our room was small, no mini bar, tight bathroom and showing age. While the food was wonderful and the views from dining area splendid we and no view.
From our room
The new fancy. Lighting in the room was so dark it made it hard to read and the service was not up to RITZ standard!
We will be back next winter but stay at Montage down the highway.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Carolyn1127
We greatly appreciate your feedback an are grateful you took the time to share it. We have taken it constructively and seriously. If there is anything we can do for you or any answers we can provide, please do not hesitate to let us know. We do hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future. Thank you again for the taking the time to share your experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!