“Top of the Class” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Laguna Beach, California
“Top of the Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

My wife and i have stayed at Many Ritz-Carltons, but this service wise has been the absolute best. The staff was all very knowledgible, proffesional, and friendly. The property is absolutely gorgeous. Beds are off typical ritz quality. I will say i think it is time for a remodel of the pools. They should also have another restaurant choice. 162 the restaurant was fantastic, great food, great service, great atmosphere. The pool food in my opinion did not live up to the Ritz quality but was adequate for lunch. The rooms were average in size. Everyone was great. The fitness center had a large selection of equipment and as the staff says even if you do not work out, this fitness facility will encourage you too.

Stayed April 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

I just came back from a week at the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel and I can't stop dreaming about this amazing hotel with its amazing sunsets and beautiful sun-drenched beaches. I spent every afternoon exploring the tidepools, relaxing in my beach chair loving the ocean and watching the Surfers ride the waves. The Beach Butlers were so helpful. They carried my chair, towels umbrella and water to wherever I wanted to set up each day. After a day in the sun, I would return to my amazing Ocean View room, sit out on my private balcony and enjoy some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. I was lucky enough to see several California Gray Whales and Dolphins from my balcony. I slept like a baby on the most comfortable pillows and bed making me feel like I was floating on a cloud. I was there on business and pleasure and I want to tell you how impressed I was not only with my beautiful Ocean View room but with the excellent service and all the personal touches the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel provided. My meetings were a hugh success with clients gushing over the views, the food and how friendly, courteous and accommodating the staff were. Everyone at the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel made my visit a most enjoyable, stress-free, luxurious experience and I can't wait to return!

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Kathryn L
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2008

We were two mothers taking our sons (8 and 11) to Disneyland and Legoland. We decided to stay at the Ritz Carlton, Laguna Niguel and we are so pleased that we did. The staff was excellent. The room and view were unmatched. The restaurant's pastry chef made my son an 8th birthday cake in the shape of a wave with a surf board on top. It was the most beautiful cake and tasted even better. The hotel arranged surf lessons for the boys with an instructor named Ryan, who was exceptional. Our children had never surfed and they were up on their boards riding waves within an hour, under Ryan's guidance.
The sunset views from the dining room at this hotel were just not to be believed. Sipping a glass of wine while sitting in the hotel's Adirondack chairs overlooking the coastline was a heavenly experience. We would return in a heartbeat.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The cost
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank poodia
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

I landed in LA and rented a car to drive to Dana Point. The ride was easy and took about an hour (it was sat, no traffic.) My husband had arrived earlier that morning and had a TERRIBLE experience with Super Shuttle from the airport and suggested the rental car.

This hotel was outstanding. From the first moment when the valet opened my car dor I knew this was a spectacular hotel. The service was better than any hotel experience I've ever had. I've stayed at the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton in various locations and this one was far superior in terms of customer service. Every single member of the staff from the valet to the woman who did my manicure was genuine, gracious, professional and just plain helpful!

The grounds are beautiful. Set on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, this hotel delivers when it comes to relaxation. The food was great, the bar was comfortable and the spa was modern and nice. I had a good hot stone massage and a ho-hum basic facial. My manicure was great and in a very cool, circular room.

Our room was large, the bed was amazing. I'm thinking of buying their featherbead. We had a room on the ground floor and had no issue with noise or anything. The walls of the hotel are a bit thin. We had rowdy neighbors.

The pool was nice and had a nice lunch menu with extrememly generous salads. There were children at the pool. The hotel was family friendly with plenty of last minute kid items in the shops.

Renting a car turned out to be a great iddea. We had fun driving the pacific coast highway and neighboring towns like Laguna beach and Newport Beach.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank elc003
Sierra Madre, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

I booked a special anniversary getaway on a holiday weekend and figured the higher price was due to the holiday. It turns out I failed to notice I was booking a room on the exclusive club level (also called concierge level). My mistake. Sort of.

If the good people in heaven die and go somewhere, it will be the Ritz club level. Excellent food served all day long. Top-shelf liquor at an open bar. A concierge/attendant on duty at all times to help arrange any activities should you be foolish enough to actually leave the club level.

Actually, we did leave the club level. We went to a private yoga session at a postcard-ready vista point. We went to the fitness center with treadmills staring at the Pacific 200 feet below. We went to the lounge, ordered drinks, then realized we could enjoy cocktails for "free" on our club level.

We did pay for this luxury. More than we'd typically pay for three vacations. My only disappointment was the long wait to retrieve our car at check-out time. No special club treatment at the valet. But if you have the means, I highly recommend it.

• Liked — The service and facility
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Phingers
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a company sponsored vacation. The service is excellent, everyone who worked at the hotel greeted you with a smile and made you feel like a visiting diplomat.
The grounds were beautiful and the views of the coast were amazing! The fitness center has views of the coast which was a real treat.
The pool was heated, lukewarm, and there was a hot tub as well both of those were nice and the pool area was well kept.

The rooms were very nice, we had a king size bed and it was awesome, very comfortable. The only downside with the rooms is that you could hear a lot of the noise in the hallway.

The only draw back I found was the parking, there is no self parking so be prepared for $30 a day valet parking.

• Liked — Great location and service
  • Disliked — $30 daily valet fee
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KingHuskey
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2008

Have stayed here several times in the past for business meetings. The location as others note, is phenomenal. The rooms are reasonably sized, with courtyard-pool facing rooms generally dark. Shower is in the tub, rather than a free-standing unit in addition to the tub in many higher-end properties. Room layout at other high-end area hotels like the Montage or St Regis are superior to those of the Ritz. Some of the general hotel design is odd as well at the Ritz, as you have to walk through the dining room to access any of the rooms in one of the hotel wings. Walking outside is also required to access most every room. Not bad on a nice day. Not overly unpleasant on an off-day.

Service is solid, with all the staff going out of their way to assist and providing prompt service. When checking out very early, I called down to have my car pullled out front and a zero-balance bill pre-printed and waiting. When someone saw me at the coffee bar with my bags, I was asked if I needed my car pulled around. When I said that I had already called, he addressed me by name, took my bags, and said that he'd place them in the car along with the receipt I had requested. He then asked if I needed printed directions as well. Stellar service!!

I'd rate this below the Montage and St Regis in design and comfort, and about equal to Montage and slightly above St Regis on service. St Regis is a significantly larger property, and on the other side of Pacific Coast Highway, and doesn't come close to offering the views of either of the other ocean-side (but on cliffs, well-above the ocean) properties mentioned.

• Liked — Views from room
  • Disliked — Shower in tub, general
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank davidandrose1
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,442 reviews
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,087 reviews
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#8 of 22 in Laguna Beach
BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!