We spent 5 days at the Ritz Carlton and we went through a number of different experiences. We booked a package with Ocean front view and a "Comfort You" package that included breakfast and 100 USD resort credit.
The first experience was very nice. We had a very friendly welcome at the reception and we received a standard room with a fantastic ocean view. We spent the first minutes on the balcony and just said: WOW!
The room was pretty much Ritz Carlton standard. The one thing that I have never experienced at a Ritz Carlton though: it really did not smell nice. It felt a bit like a smoking room and some people tried to refurbish but never really could get rid of the old smoke. I felt that this was not really appropriate for this sort of rate. Nevertheless, we thought that we might ask for a room change the next morning. Then, the next surprise, something that has never happened to us, not even in a youth hostel...: it was wet in the bed! Underneath the sheets, an area the size of about two hands was wet. I seriously did not want to know what it was, I just felt it was definitely time to change the room. I went to see the same clerk at the reception and he was very helpful and arranged for another room. We finally got a pretty big suite. The view was a bit less spectacular, but still very nice. That was sort of a bumpy start into a beach vacation.
The rest of the stay was very nice:
- Bar: the terrace of the 180blũ is simply spectacular. The view is great, people are super nice. The drinks and food are very expensive though (as you would expect from this unique place)
- Restaurant: we had dinner at the Raya. The food is nice and again expensive, however, we missed some "normal" food. The menu was a bit too fancy for our taste, hence, during the rest of our vacation, we looked up some other restaurants around the hotel and we found a very nice italian place called "Stellas" just about 5 minutes from the hotel
- Fitness: it is probably one of the nicest fitness centers I have very seen in a hotel, mainly because of the great view to the ocean (see picture)
- Beach: the beach is very nice, it seems to be a popular spot for surfers. The water was a bit too cold for swimming during this time of the year, but we spent some time walking along the beach
- Pool: I read some reports that people were missing the nice view from the pool. We actually liked the quiet spot in a patio area. The pool bar is also very nice and they serve some "normal" food...
- Service: people were very friendly and helpful, just the way you would expect it from a Ritz Carlton
- Things to do: I booked a surfing lesson at the Concierge desk. They fixed everything for me, I spent two hours with a surf pro and even though I have never surfed before, I had a lot of fun in the (cold) ocean. I would definitely recommend to do this.
Overall, despite the bumpy start, we liked the vacation very much. It can always happen that some things go wrong, then it is really up to the way how they fix the problem. And we were very happy how they did!
We would definitely stay again the Ritz Carlton when visiting SoCal.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelsforEveryone, Marriott, HotelsClick, Agoda, Jetsetter, Hotel.de, Reservation Counter, HRS and Despegar.com so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel Hotel Dana Point
- Ritz Dana Point
- Ritz-Carlton Dana Point
- Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel