“Lovely, Charming and Better than it's Been in a long Time”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I've spent more than a collective year of my life in this hotel in the last 10 years, so believe me when I say this place is firing on all cylinders and running better than i recal it running.

My family and I were thoroughly impressed with some of the subtle updates improvements and simple touches that have been improved over the past two years. Prices are up here as-well but in-line with the season, the amenities and fair given the cost of maintaining this grand-dame.

The key here (to make sure you get the full experience) is to request a club-level ocean-front (not ocean-view) room or suite. The best suite to that end is the old crown suite which is a fourth floor corner suite. That suite can get noisy with the Santa Anna winds in the winter months but in summer it is just delightful.

The remaining rooms adjoin so are workable for a family during a short stay. We stayed that way for 4 days with a family of four and it worked well enough during our short stay. The ocean front rooms are what California luxury beach vacations are all about, and there are just a handful of them so be sure to book early. There is always lots going on at the hotel due to it's irreplaceable setting and grand public areas and ballroom facilities. You can expect to see lots of weddings during the summer months and meetings during the spring and fall.

Be sure to use the facilities and walk down to the beach.. this place truly ppersonifies the American Riviera .. it is a genuinely special place and you will not be disappointed if you book as I suggest above.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank theLuckiestGuy
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Thank you for your lovely review! We are so fortunate to have local guests like you who truly appreciate the Grand Dame of the Southern California coast. We agree, there are no better accomodations than ocean front, Club Level guestrooms! They do book up so quickly...great advice! We look forward to welcoming you back soon so you can enjoy the many more enhancements we have planned this fall.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Great experience. I looked at the reviews prior to booking reservation. I almost got scared away. Glad I didn't. We only stayed two nights but it was wonderful. It's not a new hotel and you could tell in places, but it didn't bother us. We had a great time! Main pool can be crowded. Great to people watch though!! Grounds were very nice. Shuttle to take you down to the beach, which was very nice. Wonderful service. The restaurant is not my style and is very expensive. But it's part of the experience and we had fun. Very helpful staff - especially thought the pool staff did well. By gosh if you wanted something they'd get it for you. We don't stay at a Ritz often - so know this about this hotel. There are some unique people that stay at this hotel. It's CA so we expected some eccentricity. Well we got it. ha ha No problems though except for one family at the pool that was extremely loud for a long period of time. They had very poor manners! And lot's of tattoo's. We'd definetely go again. If you can't afford all of the fees and tips then don't go so we won't have to read your negative reviews. We made it a fun experience and we knew it was going to cost us more than usual to stay there. We reserved a garden view room but we either got upgraded or our room still had a great view of the ocean. Great way to end our weeklong vacation.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MAC3840
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

We take pride in solving and delivering on each of our guest's requests! We will make it happen! Thank you for the nice review and we look forward to being your new, special getaway
experience.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

There's no question the location for this hotel is unbeatable. Georgeous cliff-top views with beaches down below on either side. From the gym all you see is a wall of water. Truly amazing.

The service is first rate. Every single person that worked there was friendly and aimed to please. Obviouisly HR is on top of their game here, and it shows.

The grounds are immaculate and beautiful. The beach caddy system was great and made going to the beach with a couple little kids half as much trouble as usual. They supplied everything you need and cart it down to the beach. Even took the shuttle back up the hill. That was great. The pool is nice, not spectacular. They also have a smaller pool for kids. The water is heated so you can go in anytime.

The rooms are fine. Not large. Not swank. The bathroom was all marble and mirrors with two sinks - that was nice. We had a little patio facing the ocean which was pleasant and relaxing.

Overall it was a very enjoyable stay and we would consider doing it again. If customer service is important to you, this hotel is highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

Our service will never waiver! We care about you and all of our guests. It is very important to us that you take home memories that you will never forget. We hope to see you again very soon to enjoy another Ritz-Carlton experience.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights for both business and pleasure. Was able to upgrade at check-in to the club level which is really worth it. Breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks with amazing service, particularly Kathryn and Penny. Outstanding!!! They just need a couple of more terraces in the club lounge overlooking the beach. The property is gorgeous with outstanding views and great service. Everyone is helpful with a big smile. Rooms are good size with decent furniture and are clean but the bathrooms could use some updating. Separate tub and shower are now classic 5 star amenities which they need. Fitness room is great even though the weather was so fantastic, exercise outdoors was the best. The pool is nice, could be cleaner and a lap pool for swimmers is a much needed upgrade. Even so, can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 69jets69

We enjoy providing complimentary upgrades to our valuable guests when we are able to. Our Club Level is amazing and we will be sure to share your praise with Penni and Kathryn. We agree that we need more ocean view terrace areas! Our efforts are continuous in keeping our 27-year old resort in top-notch condition. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 7, 2011

The location is beautiful. A+ for the cliff the hotel is built on overlooking two different beaches.

Our ocean-facing room seemed in the small size, and was poorly kept (scratches on the wall, nails to jimmy-rig the chain holder on the front door, etc.). Smallish bathroom. The room had no refrigerator. We had housekeeping bring one in, but it was not stocked. C+ grade for a supposedly 5-star hotel.

The common areas for the hotel seems less than ideal. There is only one small outside balcony to enjoy the view with a cocktail. It seems like the hotel builder wanted to cram in more rooms instead of outside public areas. The inside public area is ok. The pool seems like a nicer Best Western pool - nothing to write home about. B grade for the common areas.

Room Tip: Definitely pay for an ocean-facing room. Otherwise stay at a cheaper hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We welcome and appreciate every piece of feedback we receive. We will be undergoing a soft goods renovation this fall and we hope you have the opportunity to return to the resort and experience the enhancements.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed at the stayed at the Laguna Niguel Ritz Carlton (near Dana Point) for two nights in July, 2011. We had just come from more than two weeks in the French Polynesian Islands, so this stay had the potential for a huge let-down after our previous time in Paradise. We flew into LAX, rented a car, and finally arrived at the hotel about 6 pm. The hotel staff made us feel that we were very special. It seemed that even though a number of people were checking into the hotel that evening, we were the people they were especially looking forward to meeting and greeting. I don’t think that Bill and Hillary Clinton could have received a warmer welcome than we did. We had reserved an ocean-view room, which was upgraded to the club level. In talking with a number of staff, I was impressed that a number of them had been with the hotel for more than 10 years. This was in great contrast to our previous hotel in Bora Bora, where many of the French staff were young, had not been with the hotel for long, and were not planning to be there in a year. The Ritz Carlton is obviously a place where people like to be and work.

Our room was very attractive, and the view of the sun setting on the Pacific Ocean was spectacular. Our son, the one that endures the JFK Doubletree year-after-year (see my review of the JFK Doubletree), and his wife and young child live in nearby San Clemente, and we invited them to the hotel for the following afternoon. We ate lunch in the hotel restaurant, which is a beautiful, open, airy facility with a spectacular view of the ocean. The food was excellent and the ambience outstanding. This was a most successful choice and began a very pleasant afternoon (see the picture of me with our son). We all took a long walk down the beach which was thoroughly enjoyable. Even though this cannot compare with the almost complete absence of people on beaches in Tahiti and Bora Bora (see my reviews of the Papeete Radisson and of the Bora Bora St. Regis), the beach was not particularly crowded by Southern California standards (see the attached photo). If my wife and I had not been in shock from returning to earth after our time in Paradise, we would certainly have taken a swim!

Although I do not know what the “club level” really is, it does place you in a lounge where it is easy to meet and talk with other people. We enjoyed two evenings talking with two different sets of strangers. I guess a comparable experience in most hotels would be chatting with other guests while having a drink in the bar. My wife and I do not drink alcoholic beverages, so this kind of ambience is not attractive to us. I wish more hotels would establish environments that encourage the kind of exchanges we enjoyed at the Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danny38

We are so glad you have found a bit of paradise in Southern California! We are delighted to be your new paradise. You are very special to us and we look forward to welcoming you back so we may create more exceptional memories for you and your close-by family. Perhaps you will choose to stay on our exclusive Club Level again. Our Club Level has been voted the #1 Club Level in our company for the past 3 consecutive years. Our team of ladies and gentlemen consider our Club Level as their home and eagerly await the chance to invite you in again.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed at the hotel as part of a two-day conference (Jan 5th-7th) and was wildly impressed from the moment I arrived in dealing with the valet attendant to getting to my room. The average nightly rate for this place is about $500 but with the conf I got it for a $250/night stay. My room was a basic queen room which overlooked a garden area and not the magnificent Pacific as those rooms were considerable more expensive but I was offered to upgrade to that option at check-in. This was hands down the single most comfortable bed I ever slept in as it absorbs your body, it was so awesome that I would love to get that same mattress for my own home. The room was a nice sized offering but I did have one knock on it that I noticed right away and that was the state that the carpet was in being very worn out so I noted it on the comment card upon my departure which I will come back to later in the review.

It was a very quiet room during my 2 night stay and I simply loved the sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean from the huge bluff the hotel sits on. I sat out one morning with my $10 smoothie reading the paper on one of the public terraces and it was so peaceful and such a great calming way to begin the day. I counted no less than 50 surfers below catching a wave with some interesting crashes to entertain me as well. The hotel is very well maintained and clean in all the public areas and it definitely is of high standards throughout all they do. The attention to detail at our catered business conference was impeccable and their staff did a great job to ensure guests were comfortable during the meetings (great food, room temp just right, media resources worked properly, etc).

One night I was going to leave the hotel to dine somewhere else since the costs were pretty high even though I was funded by my company but decided to stay in and try a pizza with room service. The woman in charge of room service was great and offered some suggestions on my custom made pizza which was brought up in about 20 min and very delicious but expensive at $40 with a cookie for dessert. Room service even called me back around an hr later in inquire what I thought about the food which just got to show the level of service they offer.

The hotel only offers valet parking and that was $35 per night so I just left the rental in the garage for the 2 days I was there. Upon checking out the car was already brought up from the garage and already for me parked between a yellow and red Ferrari which I was scared not to door ding with the rental but appreciated the fact that my needs were always anticipated before I actually had to ask for things.

When I was going to throw away some sodas in my room I noticed a cardboard box that contained a plastic recycling bag inside of it. It made me pause for a moment, I wondered if this wasn't actually defeating the purpose of recycling in that you know need to add the outer cardboard box to your collection of recyclables which just seemed silly and wasteful. I am no tree hugger by any stretch but this seemed illogical so I added it to the comment card about doing away with that outer box. I hadn't left the hotel more than 2 hours and while at SeaWorld I received a call about my comments and follow-up. They apologized for the shappy carpet and hoped it did not ruin my stay, which it didn't and explained the rooms would soon be renovated and they also loved the idea to eliminate the need of that cardboard box and were going to pursue dropping that and just leaving bags out for guests. I was blown away that the comments were even read much less called to thank me so quickly and put them into action.

Well I will be back on Aug 6th for a few days (four total) on business again so I can see if my suggestions were in fact implemented but my guess was that both issues might be taken care of as it seems customer service actually lives at the Ritz. I talked a buddy of mine to travel with me out to this conference just for the fact he gets to stay at the Ritz to experience it for himself. I know that I am looking forward to my stay and perhaps another glowing review (more timely) on this hotel in a few weeks.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the wonderful feedback! We greatly appreciate your detailed comments. We are anxious for another review from you regarding your subsequent business stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!