“Helpful Staff”

Reviewed April 23, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Jacquelyn G
Peter C, General Manager at Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 7 nights on a family vacation. We were extremely happy with this hotel. The location is great, very close to the harbor and beach. The room was very clean. the beds were very comfortable. The hotel itself is very attractive inside and out. The staff was very helpful. I would definitely stay again! I am very picky with hotels and this one met my standards! The city of Dana Point is a beautiful city!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank watermelon44044
Peter C, General Manager at Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Sounds like we were everything you were looking for and more! As much as we love the praise, it's great to know that we helped make for a great vacation for your family. Memories are what it's all about. Hope we get the chance to serve you again.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel was close to the beach and easy access to San Diego and Los Angeles. The room was modern and clean. The breakfast was outstanding. We enjoyed the jet bath tub. We had a suite and this gave us a home type feeling.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank GlenM559

So glad you enjoyed your stay. Make sure all your friends know about this little spark of convenience and comfort right on the coast of Southern California. Dana Point is no longer the best kept vacation spot secret!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at Marina Shores in connection with a recent visit by my sister-in-law. The hotel is long and narrow, which produces some odd inconveniences, not to mention parking difficulties. For example, the entrance is at the western end of the building, necessitating a long walk with luggage (they provide carts) if your room is at the other end. After you're in the room, however, you can park near the entrance at the eastern end and reduce the length of the walk. That is, if you can find a parking space on that side. If you can't, then you must negotiate a hairpin turn and proceed up the side nearest the Pacific Coast Highway, where there are usually parking spaces. Then, you must either retrace your steps to the eastern entrance or walk westerly and go through the lobby, again resulting in a looooong walk to your room. Oh, did I mention that you pay for the parking? As a 42-year resident of California, I am used to paying exorbitant rates for parking at public venues, but at a hotel (really a motel)? That's over-reaching in my book, even at $10 a day. The breakfast room is so small you have to go outside to change your mind. Better dine early. Typical motel food for a "free" breakfast. Lastly, the rooms have what I think is a heat exchanger, which I never quite learned how to adjust properly due to confusing controls. A disappointing hotel that's able to get away with a lot due to their location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lobby, unless you want to schlep your luggage (and yourself) and country mil...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Peter C, General Manager at Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

I'm sorry you found the sprawling layout of the hotel such an inconvenience. I admit there can be a bit of a hike depending on where your room is and where you have to park, but if you look at all the development along the Pacific Coast Highway here and the fact that we are pretty much built into the side of a hill, there really isn't much they could have done differently.

You'll be happy to know that we've taken steps to relieve the congestion in our breakfast area - on weekends or any other day that the hotel is exceptionally busy, we have opened up our meeting room as a second location for our guests to eat.

Thanks for your comments.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It is always a challenge for s to find hotels that are pet friendly. This hotel takes pet friendly to a whole new level. It's been our experience with other hotels that they dedicate certain rooms for pets. The rooms that are tucked away in a back corner someplace. This hotel gave us a 3 floor suite without segregating us. The staff was went out of their way to welcome us and our little dog. Te facility and room must have been either recently remodeled or just built because everything was immaculate. The price was the same as some of the less desirable places in the area.

Room Tip: Most of the suites overlook the Pacific Coast Hwy. We liked the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 399CraigB
Peter C, General Manager at Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Glad you enjoyed your stay and yes, we recognize that a pet is family too. There is a great old joke in our industry ...

A man calls a hotel to make reservations and tells the manager, " I would very much like to bring my dog with me. He is well-groomed and very well behaved. Would you be willing to permit me to keep him in my room with me at night?" The manager smiles and says, "Sir, I've been operating this hotel for many years. In all that time, I've never had a dog steal towels, bedclothes, televisions or pictures off the walls. I've never had to evict a dog in the middle of the night for being drunk and disorderly and I've never had a dog run out on a hotel bill. Yes, indeed, your dog is welcome at my hotel ... and, if your dog will vouch for you, you're welcome to stay here, too."

Hope that added an extra smile to your day!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Location: 4.5 - Staff/Service: 3.5 - Amenities: 3
I love the location of this hotel - close to the 5 freeway and 2 blocks from a beautiful state beach. The hotel itself is nice enough - lobby is beautiful. Parking was $10/day and space was very limited. Breakfast area gets crowded quickly and food is really generic...but the kids were happy, plus McDonald's is across the street and Denny's is next door. Lots of dining options in walking distance up the street. My balcony had a partial view of ocean; I loved that they put a little furniture out there to sit and enjoy, but it's right on PCH and you hear more of the traffic than the waves. The beds were nice sized, reasonably comfortable, and I heard no complaints from my kids about the sofabed. The kids enjoyed the pool, I was sad there was no jacuzzi, but there were jacuzzi jets in the bathtub. For business travelers: the computers are out in the open in the lobby and print to behind the desk, but rooms have free WiFi.

My colleague stayed at the Doubletree down the street; there are plusses and minuses to both. Rooms looked comparable, the lobby is more attractive and spacious with more seating, they charge extra for an ocean view, make you valet park for $$$, their pool is small and right in front of the hotel, and they are doing noisy construction/repairs (at least the week of 3/25), but the breakfast there is much better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Shani K

While our goal is to always be a "solid great" it was still nice that you noticed the little touches we add to make our guests' stays nicer - like the furniture out on the balconies and the jetted tubs in the guest rooms. We appreciate the constructive suggestions too as we are always looking for ways to improve our product and services.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We received this booking through Hotwire as a hotel chosen for us in our category (3 star). The hotel was recently renovated and the rooms are comfortable and fairly quiet, despite our room fronting Pacific Coast Highway. The beds are WONDERFUL, by the way.

When we checked in, the front desk clerk told us that we should have called the hotel to book adn we would have received a better rate. WHAT? I don't know if he was punishing us :), but we found out that night that our A/C didn't work at all. I called the desk and was told that maintenance had gone home. So, we had a less-than-restful night's sleep in a stuffy room with a window we couldn't leave open, due to easy access from the outside. Had it not been for the poor maintenance on a recent renovation leaving us with a stuffy room, I would have given this hotel a "4" rating.

The complementary breakfast was about the best I've had in a hotel with a free breakfast. Eggs seemed to be made from eggs, rather than reconstituted; there's a pancake machine; the bacon was good as well.

The location is adjacent to the harbor, but behind a small hill -- so it's not terribly convenient to the harbor, but close. There's also a Jack in the Box, Del Taco, adn McDonalds directly across the street for a quick bite.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert B

Please accept my apologies for the confusion when you checked in. It's not our habit to steer people away from the online booking sites. They save guests a lot of shopping around for rates, but for detailed information on a particular hotel, it's always a good idea to check with the hotel directly, just to make sure of the accommodations.

I was also very sorry to hear about your troubles with the a/c. We should have at least offered to move you to another room if maintenance was gone for the night. Most of the units here are less than three years old and we service them routinely, so I can at least assure you that this is not a regular occurrence.

I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope you will be back for a visit that's 100% perfect!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!