Blue Lantern Inn - A Four Sisters Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$209
  • Restaurant
$195
$177
  • Beachfront
$129
$126
Hotels.com
Best Western Plus Dana Point Inn-By-The-Sea(Dana Point)(Great Value!)
$149
Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel(Dana Point)(Great Value!)
$130
BestWestern.com
  • Breakfast included
Capistrano Surfside Inn(Dana Point)(Great Value!)
$143
  • Beachfront
$143
Hotwire.com
  • Pool
All reviewsb bpacific edgewine and cheesedana point harborafternoon winecarpe diemtower roomcity viewhappy hour with winechart housegas fireplacegreat view of the harborjacuzzi tubhard boiled eggscliff overlookingboutique hotelsitting area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Recently my wife and I took a trip driving the coast od California. After reading the reviews of the Blue Lantern we booked a two night stay at the end of September. We wished we had booked a week stay. The blue lantern sit on top of a ridge over looking Dana Point Harbor. The view is worth the stay but what makes it exceptional is the service, the leanness and the rooms themselves. The breakfast has many options and is always re-freshened often so everything stays warm or fresh the entire time no matter when you go down for breakfast. The entire town is welcoming and they have several very good restaurants with in walking distance. let the staff make your reservation as we found there was some extra added to the meal just because you were staying at the Blue Lantern. The furnishings in the rooms are adequate but not top of the line but you do not care because the place is so peaceful and relaxing. The bed was extremely comfortable. All-in-all this is a place you should stay at for more than two days but if that is all the time you have it is well worth it.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room with a balcony or on the first floor facing the harbor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janitzki
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I'll be honest, I didn't really have high expectations when it came to Blue Lantern Inn. I had a feeling it suffered from an identity crisis. Was it a small hotel 3 star hotel? A motel since its just of PCH? A simple hotel with great service? A fancy hotel with average service? It certainly can't be a boutique hotel, is it? IS it?
Certainly you don't hear much about this place so I really wasn't expecting much.

I can proudly say that the establishment exceeded expectations on all levels. You have a small, 28 room or so botique establishment with service and amenities to match. Its truly hard to fault the place so if you see any nitpickings, they aren't really major cons, just "suggestions" for an even better experience

For being an "inn" there were a surprising number of services I wasn't expecting that were present

Bell service - check
Concierge - check
Breakfast in bed cooked to order - check
Games, home made cookies, water, silverware
And bikes to cruise around in the common area? - check

We checked in and the girl at the desk was friendly, but she admitted she was new. I can't say it was flawless because she gave me a guest card to sign with a different guests name (customer privacy??). I pointed out the error and she was sorry. We got a complimentary bottle of the bubbly to celebrate the wedding and off we went to the room

The hotel itself really is in a perfect location. On a bluff overlooking the harbour in Dana Point. You access your room through a spiralling type staircase. Old books in a bookshelf adorn the foyer. A common area has set tables, some cucumber water, a jar of just baked cookies, a chess table and a back gammon table.
If you are lucky enough to be in room 205 like we were, you have a large patio with table and chairs and a light.
The room itself had a blue lantern or two and the chairs were of classic style.
The bed was super comfortable and it had "one of each" type of pillow. Small, large, etc.
We had a mini bar fridge which housed complimentary water and a diet coke and a regular coke, both gratis.
We had a working Gas fire place that was easily activated by a flip of a switch. the bathroom was Very large. Dual vanity and a huuuge mirror. The Bathtub was the largest, nicest, and most modern tub I had ever seen in. It had large in tub push button options for strong or weak Jets in the tub! Black marble shower and that sort of amenity.
I did actually like the layout of the room. Non standard by any means. Even the desk was old world
They offered a cocktail hour with complimentary wine and what I thought would just be a bowl of fruit. I was completely wrong. Really superb stuffed olives, chopped peppers and home made hummas. About 4 different types of cheeses and 5 different sorts of crackers. Small salads etc. Definitely filling.

This is definately a couples place. We were invited to sit outside on the patio at another couples table. Seems like everyone we met there was just celebrating anniversaries or honeymoons. All couples here.
The patio overlooks a gaezbo which overlooks the dana point harbour some 600 feet or so below.
We retired to the room and took in all the lavishness.
Here is what you can expect by staying here. The pros and cons
Super helpfull front desk agents.
Helped get anything and everything we needed. I asked one for walking directions to a restaurant and she LITERAlLY walked me half way there! PWell appointed lobby/common area
Exceptionally clean
Best Jet tub I've ever been in. Its HUGE and deep as well
Spacious patio and we ate outside with the lights on, and didn't encounter one bug
Simple, elegant, easy to use gas fire place en suite
Luxurious items such as linens, bathroom amenities, large mirrors, high end fixtures
Staff present till at least 10pm. Maybe later??

Some suggestions:
I guess they are cutting back on their amenities
The conciergae mentioned they aren't providing the bears in the room anymore. Which I'm surprised because this is what people come for. I know they had their reasons and some of them were easily negated but I guess its their decision. Also, they used to provide bath salts and they pulled those too. Not sure why. To her credit, the agent checked her supplies but wasn't able to come up with anything. Instead, she was more than happy to sell us a 50 dollar bath salt kit. Which we bought.

No pool, but why would you want one when you are steps or one giant dive away from the Pacific

I asked for bell service back to our car and got very puzzled looks from both attendants at the desk. I guess they work in the wrong industry. "What exactly do you need now?"
"May I have some help with my luggage andd gifts to my car?". " Oh sure, we just call him jose, we are a small hotel". Um ok, but I guess they term is still industry wide. Jose was helpful and pleasant.

Other than that, very pleasant stay! I did like they put a maintenance card in the room. That shows they care.

One last thing. I'm raving about this place but I don't know the Price point. It was a gift. Maybe a weekday 175 dollar or weekend 300 dollar seems appropriate. Again, I didn't pay to stay here. Stay at blue lantern with a loved one. I promise you will have a memorable night.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SonicSpringBok
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is a very lovely Inn. The common spaces are huge and well equipped, with plenty of room to lounge in the dining area, the sitting area, and another large area with a big screen television. Outside, there are several patio spaces with outstanding views of Dana Harbor and the Pacific Ocean.

Staff were friendly and helpful. There is free wi-fi. Breakfast was good, with a nice selection of breakfast foods plus a hot dish every morning. There was also a late afternoon 'cocktail' hour with wine and some very nice hors d'oeuvres.

We stayed in one of the Pacific rooms which was wonderful. It was very large, with a shower and hot tub, fireplace, large television and small sitting area. While these rooms all have a view of the ocean, ours was minimal and really only accessible when sitting or standing in that corner of the room. It was still stunning but, if you want the kind of view you see on the website, you may want to ask ahead. In any case, the room had a back door with a patio from which you could go to a larger patio with fine views of everything.

I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yazzy13
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel has the basic ingredients to be great but misses the mark. The staff were lovely. The building has real character and its located on a cliff overlooking the harbor which gives it a great aspect.

Wine and finger food available complimentary at 4. Two free diet cokes in the room. Free wifi, decent coffee maker, nice robes, basket full of local restaurant menus to review in the lounge. All good.

But they HAD to furnish it from the catalogue of generic hotel furniture? They decided that putting open waste paper bins with plastic bags inside them would make the place look better! Breakfast was not so good. The inside of the elevator didn't seem to have been cleaned in the recent past. The room I got had a fantastic ceiling, most of which they had covered with a false suspended ceiling, it would have looked spectacular without.

No fault of the hotel, I had a room with a balcony which was lovely. Overlooking, the wedding party at the function suite next door. Those guys were certainly enjoying themselves, it looked like a fun time.

Overall they almost got this place to be a real boutique hotel experience. They were so close. But they lacked the courage to follow through. It's a beachside hotel, don't make it look like a Howard Johnson. Allow the personality of the place to make it special. Until then, charge like its a Howard Johnson not like its a Montage.

There is a bizarre but handy deli next door. The harbor is a bit of a hike but don't cycle there unless you want to push your bike back the whole way.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveler2504
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I've stayed at lots of hotels from the quick pull ins off the highway to the five star resorts. Granted this place isn't an all inclusive Caribbean vacation but it is the most perfect place for what it is. The views are breathtaking! Just absolutely gorgeous! The staff is wonderful, very friendly, courteous and helpful, but not to the point of being annoyingly so. The room we stayed in had a wonderful view, was very clean, nice big bathroom. Just everything you need and then some. We really enjoyed the bikes that are free to use. Don't plan on any spirited rides but more of just a nice easy cruise. There's some awesome restaurants in walking distance and tons of activities to do nearby and down near the harbor. I almost don't want to write this review because I'd love the place to stay as much of a secret paradise as possible.
But if you're looking to just relax and aren't someone who needs to be seen or spend 1000 for a spa treatment this place is perfect in every way. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: September 2013