$359
  • Restaurant
$338
Orbitz.com
Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel(Dana Point)(Great Value!)
$195
  • Beachfront
$943
$749
  • Pool
All reviewswine and cheesedana point harborafternoon winecarpe diemtower roomcity viewb and bhappy hour with winechart housegas fireplacegreat view of the harborjacuzzi tubhard boiled eggscliff overlookingsitting areaboutique hotelfresh fruit
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Don't get me wrong, this is a perfectly decent and comfortable place to stay, but for us (a well-travelled retired British couple who stayed four nights) it simply didn't live up to its not inconsiderable Tripadvisor billing. Or to put it more bluntly, it wasn't worth the money, in our view. Yes, the location is superb and the views are delightful but really, that's out of the hands of the owners/management...

On the plus side: the bed was very comfortable; towels and bedding were good quality; public areas (indoor and outdoor) were spacious and well-kept; the free parking was welcome; and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The flavoured water/cookies/wine & cheese are nice touches.

But..and this is what drags down our overall rating...the whole place (including our room and bathroom) had a vaguely shabby and outdated feel in terms of decor, furniture and maintenance. If the intention is for 'shabby chic' then it misses by a country mile. And the 'signature' breakfast was hugely disappointing, some mornings being little better than we had in a motel lobby elsewhere on our trip.

A nice enough place but not good enough to justify the rates.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank maccem
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at 6 hotels on our 2 week trip. I can't say enough about Blue Lantern! I liked it better than the Montage in Dana Point! The view spectacular. We had balcony with the Pacific Edge room. The room was beautiful along with the view. It had a fireplace too! Frig in room to use also with soft drinks. I thought the Happy Hour with wine and appetizers was really nice. Breakfast also was varied. Coffee and tea available all the time. Cookies and flavored water during the afternoon. They are always doing something. A video library to watch dvd's in room too! Pleasant staff also. As for worn furniture I think it's antique like and not the typical old motel type furniture that some reviews made it seem to be. Parking is right there and the wonderful views. Close enough to drive down to the harbor. Walking distance to restaurants. I did not try the delli the street over but my son said they had good sandwiches. I really hope I can go back to the BL again because it's now my dream spot for vacation! I think I've convinced two friends also about going to visit the BL with my pictures from our balcony!
Our room overlooked Cannon's Restaurant (which I didn't care much for) but as for noise they had nothing going on mid week as for noise. Though they closed by 10 pm during the week. But if you ask they will tell you if anything is going on when you want to book.
I wish I could give this place 10 stars! Liked it that much! Loved the bed too - comfortable mattress.

Room Tip: Get the pacific edge room with balcony on 2nd floor or top floor. Private balcony is nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brannie
Reviewed July 5, 2013

During a recent visit to the LA area I met up with a girlfriend and we stayed 2 nights at the Blue Lantern Inn. We had a very comfortable room with a partial ocean view, 2 queen beds and a fireplace. Our little balcony on the third floor was nice for a view of the harbor. Wine and cheese in the afternoon was a welcome treat. Great video library available - we got take out and did a chick flick movie night. Staff was helpful with instructions and special breakfast for my gluten free friend. Can order a pot of coffee to be delivered to your room in the morning - so nice!
Went by bus to Laguna Beach on a rainy day for some shopping. Duet in Laguna Beach was a great clothing shopping find. Loads of store for browsing.
Had lunch at the Harbor below the inn and walked the beach.
Nice Inn. Even though the Inn was full and there were lots of guests in the morning at the breakfast - most other times we did not see many people.

Room Tip: Select rooms with partial ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dznr
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We borrowed the bicycles and had a great time. The inn is very comfortable. Complimentary sodas, breakfast, and evening meet & greet really makes staying here fun. The staff are terrific and very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank kaes
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were warmly welcomed by the staff and arrived just in time for wine, cheese and fresh veggies and dip. A great beginning. Loved our room that had a tiny view of the bay. A nice fireplace and two wingback chairs gave the room a comfy feel to it. Slept well and were able to leave a window open for a nice ocean breeze. The Inn sits on a bluff at the end of a street so there was only foot traffic. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. All areas of this Inn are warm and inviting. It was our first visit but we will surely come again. Parking is right next door and there is no charge. Also two nice restaurants are steps away.
My only complaint is that the bathroom had many areas that should be repainted and wouldn't take a lot of time or effort to do. (Room 307) For the amount of money we paid we wanted the room to be in top shape.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the parking lot or the back would probably not have a very good view but I didn't see these rooms
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple