All reviewswine and cheesedana point harborafternoon winecarpe diemtower roomb and bhappy hour with winechart housegas fireplacegreat view of the harborjacuzzi tubhard boiled eggscliff overlookinglaguna beachsitting areaboutique hotelfresh fruit
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a wonderful bed and breakfast set high on a bluff overlooking Dana Point Harbor. The height and views mean no easy beach access, but beach access is very close by. The views are tremendous, and I love the atmosphere of the inn. Many bed & breakfasts are a little on the fussy side, which puts off my husband, but we found our room at the Blue Lantern to be understated, well-appointed and elegant. The linens in particular are top notch, and they do have the usuals like fluffy white robes as well as in-room Keurig coffee makers. The staff is great, and we really enjoyed afternoon appetizers and wine with that marvelous ocean view. Breakfast was actually very good, with a mushroom and egg dish and lots of bacon, but the home-baked goodies such as stuffed french toast and gooey pastries usual at b&b's were conspicuously absent. This was actually a blessing for us, because it is hard to resist what should be resisted...Try for a room with a balcony (whether ocean or harbor view, better to spend the extra $ on the balcony rather than the view, in my mind). We like to drive to the harbor for lunch at Dana Point Harbor Coffee Importers -- the food is unbelievable, and you can bring it back for an al fresco lunch on your own balcony...Try to make time to ride the beach bikes, and if you like walking, the hike of the headlands down to the Strands beach is just about 2 minutes away, and it is breathtaking. All in all, can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Room 306 is great, it has a harbor view and a balcony, best of both worlds.
1  Thank RSMGal2
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We arrived at the hotel late after our wedding ended. The man at the front desk was so kind and hospitable. Our room was excellent - especially the bathroom and the tub. Breakfast was nice and the views are breathtaking. Parking is easy and convenient.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were heading to California for a graduation and wanted to extend our stay to places we had not seen before. I looked around Laguna Beach but things were pretty pricey and in my search I stumbled upon the Blue Lantern which is just a bit south of Laguna. I read about the Four Sisters Inns and recognized another place we had tried to stay once, the Healdsburg Inn. Knowing the reputation of that Inn I did not hesitate to book Blue Lantern. It was one of the most wonderful places I have ever stayed!! (Also quite romantic)! Our friends joined us and they had a beautiful room as well with an even better view, they had upgraded them to a larger space as they had 3 in the room.The location is spectacular perched on a bluff overlooking the harbor. We had a semi ocean view room where we could see the entire harbor and a beautiful view of the ocean. The rooms are large, well appointed, extremely comfortable bed, and a fantastic bathroom!! We also had a large balcony which was divine! Perhaps the best part is the staff, they are professional, warm, informative and all around delightful people. They helped us find 2 great restaurants, that we walked to, and were always available with a smile. The breakfast was fantastic, (included in room), and who would not love having a glass of wine and some cheese on a bluff overlooking the ocean, (also complimentary). Of course it is California so the weather was superb, cool breeze, warm sunshine, and NO humidity!! We loved the Inn so much we asked if they had one in Santa Monica as we were headed there in a few days, they did, we stayed and it was another wonderful experience. This team has customer service and comfort nailed!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank EMCFairfax_Virginia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I wasn't going to write this review because then others would discover this beautiful place and I want to keep it to myself.This has to be my favourite hotel ever........views to die for, wonderful rooms, luxurious bathrooms, plenty of free wine , beach, shops and restaurants nearby. The staff are wonderfully attentive but not intrusive. However..........I have to agree with other reviewers that breakfast could be improved.
Sitting in the small patio garden overlooking the ocean at sundown has to be one of the best experiences ever.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank harvav
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Wonderful view. Great staff. Sit on the patio and get some of their local wine (very affordable and quite nice) and soak it in. Highly recommend. Lots to walk or bike to (with their fun big old school bikes). Enjoy.

Stayed: May 2013