“Great place for a get away”

Blue Lantern Inn - A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Dana Point B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great place for a get away”
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Spent one night here with my wife on Valentines Day and we had a great visit. The evening wine was very nice as were the snacks. The breakfast was so-so, regular scrambled eggs are my preference vs the scramblette. Our room did not have a balcony and after staying here, I would recommend a room with a balcony and view.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
la
Reviewed February 19, 2008

My husband and I just got back from a weekend getaway at the inn. It was recommended by my sister in law. We could not have been happier. After I booked it, I found this site and was a little nervous with all the reviews. My fireplace worked fine, the breakfast and snack in the afternoon was very good and the inn keepers were very nice and helpful. We look forward to booking another getaway there soon.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I had the pleasure of staying at the Blue Lantern Inn, for a week in January with my boyfriend. Overall we loved the Inn.
OUR ROOM was comfortable and immaculate with no dust or dirt to be found anywhere. I do look! The bed was comfortable and nicely dressed with neutral comforters and linens. We both liked the nautical decorations and the spaciousness of our room. The gas fireplace added warmth and a sense of coziness to the room. We never heard any noise and slept like babies! The room was easy to relax in and call home for the week we were there. The highlight of the room is the view of the Pacific Ocean. It is truly spectacular. The room had plenty of windows to open up the wooden blinds and enjoy the view.
THE BATHROOM was oversized with plenty of counter space. Housekeeping kept it immaculate throughout our stay. Housekeeping does a really great job at being nonintrusive yet quickly and efficiently cleaning your room. Kudos to never once being disturbed by the housekeeping staff! The amenties in the bathroom were top notch. The jacuzzi was nice, but there is no way to fit two people in it unless they are both midgets!
THE FACILITY is comfortable and warm. We both liked the front desk staff and found them to be very helpfull with suggestions for dining. There is a large living/library room with plenty of comfortable couches to watch the large screen TV or cuddle up with a book. There are large fireplaces in the public rooms and game tables. There is a computer for guest use in the basement as well as a fitness room. It was very comfortable and relaxing to be a guest in this INN.
FOOD. Breakfast is adequate but nothing to brag about. The fresh muffins were good, but coming from the East we did not like the red and green pepper in every egg dish day after day. There were bagles, plain hot cereal, hard boiled eggs and sliced fruit day after day. It lacks variety and was boring. By the forth day we ate out for breakfast. I do have to note that the eating area was clean and also has a great view. I just would have killed for a waffle or eggs w/o pepper!
AFTERNOON snacks were great! It was nice to be able to enjoy a nice glass of wine and enjoy some cheese. We enjoyed it day after day! It is also wonderfull that the snacks and wine are left out to enjoy most of the evening. A very nice touch. I was also thrilled to have the soda in the refrig, that was also a really nice touch.
OVERALL we loved the INN. It was peacefull, cozy, romantic and a great place to spend a week. I think it is also a great bargain for this area in California. We can't wait to come back and applaud the nice job this INN does. I wish the four sisters would come to the East Coast :).

• Liked — coziness, view, comfort
  • Disliked — breakfast
2 Thank WildRovers
San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 1, 2008

This place is a real gem and I think their prices are good considering the prices nowadays for similar upscale inns/hotels.

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with several reviewers regarding this Inn. My husband have been staying at The Blue Lantern Inn once a year since it opened, probably more than ten years ago. It is our favorite "weekend getaway" place.

Regarding the comment about the noise from the restaurant next door, I am sorry that this happened to you, but in all of our years staying here, we have never once has a problem with noise. I asked the hotel clerk about this, and she said that there is one room on the far side which can have noise if there is a wedding on the weekend.

Regarding the comments from a couple of reviewers about the breakfast being just hard boiled eggs and potatoes: each time we've stayed here, there was a baked egg soufle' type dish, with cheese in it. They always have a freshly baked muffin or something similar, different fresh fruits, etc. During the day there are cookies in the cookie jar and in the evening there are carafes of wines, a freshly baked desert like a bundt cake, cheeses , fancy crackers and raw veggies with dips.

Regarding the linens on the bed, ours have always been white. We have never had a room that smelled funnny.

Of course, there are little ways this property and the staff could be better, but in general, I always consider this inn a five-star place (and I am a very picky traveler - ask my husband).

The inn is really beautiful - the library room, area around the fire place, dining room. The rooms are truly beautiful, with gas burning fire places and really great bathrooms. Always, our room has a bathroom with a double sink and shower separate from the jacuzzi tub and a toilet room.

However, for our last stay, we asked booked a particular room and were given another when we checked in, which did not have this type of bathroom. The manager said that the reason we could not have the room we booked was because the person who took our reservation did not enter the code which said we want this room only, so make sure you tell them this when you book.

• Liked — the ambiance
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed January 29, 2008

We stayed for two nights in a Harbor View Room ($245/night) for a weekend getaway. Check-in was quick; however the clerk seemed somewhat aloof. She did apologize for not being able to give us a room on the top floor as we had requested on our reservation. We had Room 209 and enjoyed that it was a room at the end of the building. All the aforementioned amenities worked well (jacuzzi, fireplace, wireless internet, etc.). We enjoyed the afternoon snacks and noted they were replenished quickly when running low. The breakfast was nice with a hot egg dish, bacon, fruit, breads, oatmeal, cereal and a variety of beverages.
We really enjoyed exploring the Dana Point area. Walking to the harbor was fun and what a view! One night we ate at the Melting Pot in San Clemente (~ 4 miles from the inn) and had a great meal with excellent service.

• Liked — The harbor view
  • Disliked — Having to leave so soon
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We went to the Blue Lantern for my husband's birthday. I happen to mention his birthday when making the reservation. We were greeted with "Happy Birthday" there were balloons and a card in our room. The room was beautiful and the view was exactly like the pictures on their website. Each room we saw was spacious and had a fireplace and jacuzzi tub.

The front desk offered and made reservations when we arrived. She was very helpful with suggestions. We went to dinner at the Chart House. They greeted us at the restaurant with a "Happy Birthday" (the front desk had arranged for us to be treated as "VIPS")

This was a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend the Blue Lantern

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Price
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed December 20, 2007

I enjoyed our stay even though I thought the price for the room a little steep. ($210.00 for two nights because of a special deal they had going, two nights for the price of one) The high points were: The hot tub bathtub in the room, the overall cleanliness of the room, the complimentary breakfast, free wine tasting in the afternoon and the view. The low points were that the fireplace in our room didn't work, they were not willing to move us to another room after they failed to fix the problem, and they would not lower the bill after they failed to fix the fireplace. Also, some more low points included not being able to eat the complimentary breakfast one morning because we came down at 11 a.m. and they had already cleared everything away. It was our First Wedding Anniversary and we received no special treatment after we told the employees that worked there this very fact. In fact that's what angered me most about not being moved to another room (with a working fireplace) or receiving a discount on our stay all together. The Blue Lantern Inn is owned by a company called the Four Sisters Inns and I sincerely hope that not all of their Inns are run the same way because they are going to lose a lot of clientele. Maybe this coming year for our third wedding anniversary we can try the Four Sisters Inn in Carmel and see if that is any better than this last experience. Bon Voyage!

• Liked — The Complimentary Breakfast
  • Disliked — The Service
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Doheny Beach - Dana Point
Dana Point Marina Inn
Dana Point Marina Inn
#8 of 12 in Dana Point

Been to Blue Lantern Inn - A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!