All reviewswine and cheesedana point harborafternoon winecarpe diemtower roomb and bhappy hour with winechart housegas fireplacegreat view of the harborjacuzzi tubhard boiled eggscliff overlookinglaguna beachsitting areaboutique hotelfresh fruit
Reviewed April 18, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Blue Lantern for a nice week-end get-a-way. We had stayed at the inn about 10 years ago and had recommended it to friends and family in the interim. We were using a gift card and so we splurged and reserved a partial ocean view, room 205. The room had just been recarpeted with an indoor outdoor type carpet and by the time we checked out it was lifting off the pad and big ripples could be seen across the floor. The wine and cheese were very nice and we really enjoyed watching a young couple take wedding photos at the viewpoint in front of the hotel. Little did we know that the wedding was a stones throw from our balcony and that deafening music from the reception would be blaring until 10:00pm. So much for romance. The bed was unbelievably hard,as were the pillows so between the music and sleeping accomodations we did not get a lot of rest. No turn down service either. The breakfast was so-so, nothing to rave about and I noticed that as soon as the tray of fruit was gone (9am)that no replacement was brought out. My point is that in this economy a hotel room at $350 per night is a splurge for most folks and if the Blue Lantern wants to keep pace with other similarly priced options they should put a little more time and effort in to customer service. When I can get a full buffet and a heavenly bed just down the road for a more affordable rate it certainly makes me consider where i should splurge. Unfortunately our memories of the Blue Lantern were the best part of our stay.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank Kimberley F
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We had our wedding next door at Cannons so this seemed a perfect place to stay. It had many advantages to other hotels in town. We had scouted most of them in preparation for family members that would be coming in from out of town. The Blue Lantern is a beautiful hotel, with a walkway connecting to Cannons and free parking. The free parking is a big plus considering most hotels charge upwards of $12 per night for self parking. What a rip-off!

We had 3 rooms booked at the inn. 2 city view rooms for out of town guests and a harbor view room for us. Now this is where my surprise came in. Since the harbor view room was more expensive, I expected it to be nicer than the city view rooms. But that was not the case. Both of the city view rooms were bigger, had more windows, and had larger bathrooms. The harbor view window only had one relatively small window considering the draw was the view. The sleeping area was smaller, maybe because there was a king instead of two queens like in the city rooms. And the bathroom was smaller. There was only one sink compared to the double sinks in the city view. But the strangest thing was the tub/shower. The tub was very high and hard to step into and out of. It also only had a 'door' that was half the length of the tub. So the area closest to the shower head was protected but once you reached the back half of the tub, water would splash out. Usually I am not this picky about specific layouts and details of hotel rooms but after seeing the difference in the two categories of rooms, I would rather pay less and get a city view room. Initially when I saw the room, I commented to the person at the front desk that the view was not what I had expected, sideways rather than frontal view. She gave me a blank look and said, "that's the harbor view" with no further inquiry as to what I'd expected or explanation that another category of room would have the view I imagined. I thought that lacked a bit of hospitality. Upon further inspection of the room descriptions, I think I was mistaken in my expectation of the view and maybe it would have been the pacific edge room that had the frontal view. But I did not receive any such information from the person at the desk.

Other than the disappointment with the room, everything else at the facility was great. Well, I did notice the halls and carpets could use some updating. There were water stains in various places and others just looked worn. But I consider that pretty minor.

The food was great. From the breakfast spread to the afternoon hor d' eaves and wine, I had no complaints. The thing I enjoyed the most was to take my afternoon goodies and sit out on the side patio. The view of the harbor and the sunset was gorgeous.

My husband & I will most likely come back here to celebrate local weekends away or maybe our anniversary. But we will definitely book the city view room next time.

Room Tip: City view rooms better value than harbor view
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank tty35
Reviewed January 17, 2011

This was our second time staying here. We didn't splurge as much as before and got a room that was not on the top floor facing the harbor below but our room was still large and very comfy. It was a holiday weekend so there was more street noise and party noise from the restaurant on the hill behind the hotel but the early noise curfew of 10 p.m. took care of that issue. The people that run this hotel are so accommodating and pleasant. They act like they're happy to be working in this beautiful environment and are just as happy to share that with the guests. They made our dinner reservations for us. The breakfasts were very tasty with both hot and cold items and homemade granola. Some other special "extras" were the homemade cookies served in the lobby, wine and appetizers each evening for the guests, the library with their shelves well-stocked with books and dvd's, chocolate on our pillows each night, a GREAT bathtub with jets, and bikes to use to cruise the neighborhood. We didn't use our fireplace but it still looked inviting. There are beautiful hikes and walks all around the harbor and great restaurants within walking distance. We'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Based on the mixed reviews on this website, we kept an open mind when we booked a Pacific Edge level room for one night, checking in on New Year's Eve. We could not have been more pleased. Christine checked us in and was very informative, helpful and cheery. Our room was described as "partial ocean view: but it turned out to have a very nice view of the ocean and part of the marina; we could watch the paddle boarders and sail boats wandering about the bay. The room was very comfortable, the gas fireplace provided much needed warmth on a chilly evening and our "Happy Hour" was great with wine and light appetizers. Breakfast was fine with homemade quiche, potatoes and fresh fruit and juice. Any questions we had were promptly responded by Peggy. All in all a very positive experience and we will be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Beautiful location. The service here was ok. The late afternoon wine and cheese time was nice; breakfast so-so. The room we stayed in was on the 3rd floor with a view of the harbor. Price was a little high. Dana Point is beautiful and at this time of year we had fabulous weather. Fireplace was very nice. Bathroom very large. However the Jacuzzi tub had mold all around the inside perimeter. A newspaper was promised to be delivered in the morning - but that morning was a holiday and we were told they do not deliver newspapers on holidays. The TV did not have sound on many of the channels and when we call the front desk and asked about this; they replied that the cable company was responsible and they had no control over this. Checkout time was 12 noon however our key locked us out by 11 am. Had to have it reset. We will not stay here again. Unfortunate.......

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple