“What a thrill!”

and up
Dana Point Whale Watching and Dolphin Watching Eco-Safari
Ranked #1 of 20 Tours in Dana Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale watch with Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Watching Safari in Dana Point on our high-tech sailing catamaran year round, with two Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. For 20 years Captain Dave's has provided daily trips to see dolphins, up to 10,000 strong, leap and play right off our bow, plus Gray Whales (December through April), Blue Whales (May through November), and year round Humpback Whales, Fin Whales, Minke Whales, and so much more. Go underwater with whales and dolphins without getting wet during your whale watch in our Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods aboard Manute'a. Listen to dolphins during your whale watching safari with our underwater Hydrophone. Celebrity and certified naturalists make this exciting Dana Point whale watching excursion educational and entertaining too. Mrs. Capt. Dave's famous triple-fudge brownies make this a one-of-a-kind dolphin and whale watching adventure unforgettable. We are a real Eco-tourism company providing only sustainable wildlife viewing. Ask about Fast Cat, our upscale Rigid Hull Inflatable Catamaran and the newest boat in our whale watching fleet.
Phoenix
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What a thrill!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I took my teenage granddaughter out on Captain Dave's catamaran. It was a beautiful experience to see the whales so close to our boat. The captain & crew were skillful in judging just where to position our boat to see the whales come up & dive down again. Besides viewing the whales, we also sailed with the dolphins as they leaped along side the catamaran.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank bobbier237
ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for leaving us feedback about your trip! I'm very happy you and your granddaughter had the opportunity to see both dolphins and whales. If you can think of anything we can do to make the safari even better please let us know.

Los Angeles, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“No whales, but that didn't matter”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have been whale watching in several places and this by far was the absolute best. Even though we spotted no whales it didn't matter. We took the small boat and were so close to the dolphins. It was amzing watching them swim along the bow. The crew was so nice and you can tell they truly care about the environmnet and the wildlife.

1 Thank lisa h
Hi, thank you for taking the time to write a review about your dolphin and whale watching safari. I'm glad you enjoyed the up close encounter with dolphins. I think I might be more disappointed that you didn't see a whale than you are, though! I do hope you'll consider joining us again sometime. We'd love to show you the gentle leviathans that inhabit our waters year round.
Layton, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Definitely a Not-To-Be-Missed Experience!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

What a great adventure! I nearly made the mistake of purchasing tickets at a discounted whale watching organization, but decided to do more research to make sure we were getting THE BEST experience we could get. WOW! Am I glad I did! It turns out that the other place had all sorts of complaints about it, but Captain Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari had nothing but GREAT reviews from all the sites I checked.
As it turned out, our entire experience with Capt. Dave's turned out to be EVEN BETTER than the amazing trip we were expecting! The staff couldn't have been more friendly. Everything was handled in a very professional, timely manner, and we "set sail" right on time.
Having been in the Navy, I thought that there would be a lot of "dead time" just sitting around staring at the water while we made our way out to where the dolphins and whales were, but the crew spent those times interacting with the passengers, answering all of our questions, and generally just making the time FLY BY!
This was the most entertaining, fun-filled, and educational time we spent on our entire 8-day vacation to Southern California! Even the three teenagers in our group enjoyed themselves so much that I noticed one had posted online that Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari was "by far, one of the coolest things I have ever done!"

2 Thank AlanC120
Thank you very much for leaving us a review. I'm thrilled you and your family, including the often hard-to-please teens, had fun! Thank you for joining us and I hope we'll see you again.
Peoria, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awesome adventure”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

By far, one of the best experiences I have had! They took a small group of passengers and gave us a very personalized experience. They went out of their way to make sure every passenger got the best viewing opportunity available. The ocean was quite rough that day, but we still saw a Blue Whale, dolphins and sea lions. I cannot remember another time when I kept looking at my watch wishing the time was going slower...

I cannot wait to go again. They also have a return customer discount. Don't miss the chance to go.

Visited September 2013
ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about us! I'm so glad you enjoyed your intimate, personalized, dolphin and whale watching trip. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Hayward, Wisconsin
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Thar be whales here!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was my second visit to watch for whales with Capt. Dave. I chose Capt. Dave again because of the commitment the company has towards marine conservation and rescue efforts. This trip our guide was Tom...both trips. I booked two, just in case. I live in the Mid-West so it is no easy thing to whale watch! On both trips we saw what I came to see - the magnificent Blue whale! We were able to get very close because they were feeding close to the harbor - quite unusual behavior for them. It is an experience that is hard to explain - for me, so emotional. Tom did an excellent job in explaining why seeing Blue whales are so unique. His love and protectiveness is obvious by the way he speaks about them. When some jerks were intruding on jet skis into the whale's area, he did his best to stop them from running into and over them. Everyone on the boat, both times, were audibly awed by seeing not only whales, but dolphins and sea lions as well. I'll be back again; my bucket list includes a Fin whale. Do yourself a favor and get a picture taken. At the end of the trip you'll get a montage of what was seen with your picture in the middle. Half of the proceeds go to help whales and other marine life. Their photos are the kind you wish you could shoot - perfect!

Visited September 2013
ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you very much for not only choosing to go whale watching with us again, but also for writing a review. I'm very happy you enjoyed the souvenir portrait too! Everyone here at Dolphin Safari loves whales and dolphins and we're so blessed to be able to take folks out to see these beautiful animals. I hope we see you again soon!