“Catch of the day”

Harpoon Henry's Seafood Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Harpoon Henry's Seafood Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dana Point Harbor Drive
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We enjoyed an early dinner here after a day of bike riding along the beach. The view from our table was nice and our waiter was friendly. We ordered a lemon drop martini and a key lime martini and started with coconut shrimp for an appetizer. The drinks seemed a bit strong but tasty. The shrimp was very good and we liked the dipping sauce although it wasn't as spicey as we expected. For our entrees we had the snapper and the shrimp combo. The snapper was cooked perfectly and the cheese and salsa topping really added to the flavor. The shrimp tasted good and we both liked the garlic mashed potatoes with just the right amount of garlic flavor. The meals were a bit pricey but not extremely overpriced. The happy hour prices in the bar seemed better but we wanted the view.

1  Thank ryanwest

Reviewed June 14, 2011

...a bit pricey, yes. A getaway trip from San Diego to Dana Point included this spot, which was very close to our hotel. The service was excellent (Martin was our server), and the food was very good (halibut special). Excellent wine choices with varying pricing, but the dessert selection was lacking. I am assuming the dinner pricing is because this is a waterfront restaurant with an excellent view of the harbor, but I am in agreement with others that the price of the meal that I got was a bit high. I am very likely, however, to return and select a few other menu items that caught my attention, as well as check out the happy hour, which we missed, by arriving late. Great location and the service was the best I have had in a long time.

I was surprised at the very, very short skirt that the hostess was wearing, which was way too short and too tight for work, and the way some other guests were very casually dressed (t-shirts, low sagging jeans, shorts, sandals) at 7 p.m. for dinner, or maybe it is just me since I actually put on decent clothes to eat out in public. I guess this spot is more casual dining than I thought.

1  Thank nightowl800
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Had lunch outside, the menu sounded appealing but the food failed to impress.

I ordered the ahi salad: 5 slices og ahi and a very average salad. Costing $17.95, I had expected better. It had the feel of a $10 salad, even with the ahi.

My husband ordered the shrimp tacos, which were slightly better value. But again, nothing special, with packet tacos and packet tortillas. I also ordered a cocktail, which had the worst presentation of any cocktail I've ordered anywhere! It tasted good though!

As a final point, the level of cleanliness was very low. Squashed old food on the floor, dirty toilets. Frustratingly, there were a lot of staff standing around, apparently doing nothing, perhaps they would have been more usefully employed cleaning the public areas. This poor level of cleanliness also makes you question the level of kitchen cleanliness, especially since my husband had bowel trouble that night : co-incidence, or otherwise?

You can get MUCH better food in FAR cleaner restaurants elsewhere in California for the money. Perhaps Dana Point is just pricey and the waterside restaurants are a bit of a tourist trap?

Reviewed May 7, 2011

California Halibut was fresh but coated in thick coating of batter. Sea Bass was dry and unevenly cooked. Comes with two spears of Asparagus and a luke warm pile of supposed garlic potatoes. Around $26 a plate. Not worth it and definitely would not go back.

1  Thank DJHFallbrook
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We usually eat out for Thanksgiving. This year we went to Harpoon Henry's in Dana Point and it was one of the best Thanksgiving dinner experiences we have had. The food was great and reasonably priced. The atmosphere was very pleasant including the excellent view of the harbor. And the service was outstanding, from the hostess, to our waiter, to the manager. The restaurant wasn't crowded and we were seated immediately upon arrival (which hasn't always been the case with other restaurants at Thanksgiving even with reservations). All in all, it was a great experience and we all agreed we would definitely come back next Thanksgiving (if not before).

3  Thank geneva456