“Beef Huaraches were delicious”

Raya at The Ritz-Carlton
Ranked #6 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Raya, named “Restaurant of the Year” by Riviera Orange County in July 2011, is a great restaurant concept by acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval. Raya showcases Pan-Latin Coastal Cuisine prepared with sustainable seafood, local produce, natural and organic meat and Chef Richard Sandoval’s signature Latin flavors. Discover delectable dining on the coast of Dana Point during your next visit.
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Chef has developed a great menu. We ordered the beef huaraches and halibut. Flavors were delightful. Waiter was attentive although we took our time ordering, our small plates came out timely but our entrees were about 30 minutes later. Waiter told us entrees would be out soon although I was beginning to not be happy. I would advise to order timely. We will return.

1  Thank Sharoninpositano

Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of dining at Raya Restaurant the other day. Now, let's set the expectation. At a Ritz-Carlton I do expect that the food and service will probably be amazing to begin with, and of course it was. I had the local and fresh (lightly seared) sea scallops, magnificent! The views, if you have not been also bring to mind words such amazing, magnificent, spectacular, etc.! However, food nor incredible views hold a candle to the level of service we received from everyone, always attentive but never annoying. The person that needs to be singled out though I the true star of this restaurant, her name is Liz!! After the first few minutes she had everyone's name down, Mr. This, Ms. That
and then when we switched it out to first names (to formal for us) immediately had those stored away and properly pronounced and ready to use at a moments notice. Towards the end of the lunch I felt that instead of dining at restaurant that we were in
Liz's home and she was our amazing and kind guest. The best memories come from those who really know how to make you feel special. Liz and her team and Raya definitely redefined what one of a kind customer service is like! We cannot wait to visit her again.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had dinner here one table row from the center of a huge window just before sunset. Facing the ocean view, we felt like we were back on our favorite cruise ship. We were treated to the beautiful pink to purple hues of a partly cloudy sunset. Service was top notch. Our waitress was attentive without hovering.

We called from our room first thing in the morning and had no trouble getting a reservation. The hostess asked if we were celebrating anything special, but we weren't. The gentleman at the next table was celebrating his birthday and was enjoying a special dessert with a candle and Happy Birthday written in chocolate on his plate.

I had to do a little research on some of the items listed in the menu before dinner since many items were ingredients I was not familiar with. We started with the ham/arugula salad and corn soup. We ordered the salmon and the black cod for entrees. My black cod with charred asparagus was wonderful but my husband's salmon was even better. I think the salmon was the best I ever tasted. We finished dinner with chocolate almond flourless cake and blueberry empanadas. The empanandas were like crispy little warm blueberry turnovers served with sour cream ice cream and white chocolate.

I would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We had a great meal here when we dined as a family in March, the view was very impressive. The food was good, we preferred the meal we had at the enoSTEAK but both meals were excellent.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

The staff is the best, as should be expected of the Ritz, impeccably trained and hospitable. The hotel is truly majestic, with beautiful white marble floors, chandeliers, flower arrangements, and a stunning view of the pacific from the Raya itself. It lives up to the expectation behind the company name.

I come often, so I've had breakfast, lunch, and dinner here, and tasted the different seasonal menus. Nothing I have tried has been unsatisfactory; quite the contrary. Everything is flavorful and unique, practiced to perfection by the excellent chefs. A favorite is the sweet potato oven-baked fries with honey mustard. They go out of their way to make sure their customers are happy. I asked for freshly squeezed orange juice and they found a machine and made it happen for me. The service isn't quick, but this is a sit-down, silver-spoon type of restaurant, so that is expected. There is a very laid back and mellow atmosphere - not at pretentious, which is hard to achieve when you're a five-star hotel - romantic and excellent for special occasions. I brought a birthday girl once and they treated her impeccably, bringing out a cake with the works; candles, a birthday card, a rose. A great time to come is sunset, for the beautiful view right from your table as you enjoy a spectacular meal.

The Raya uses well-sourced seafood and largely organic ingredients. The things I could suggest to improve the food quality and menu: being exclusively organic, using Celtic sea salt in the dishes, and coconut oil for the cooking. I would also love to see more vegetarian / vegan / gluten free options. There are a few, but not many. The menu is largely dominated by meats and fish.

Expect that it won't be inexpensive. But the quality of the food, the service, the location, and the view make it all worth it, especially for a treat or special occasion. This is a place you need to go at least once to experience true luxury.

1  Thank Mariam F