“Very Good But Not Wow”

Raya at The Ritz-Carlton
Reserve with OpenTable
Raya at The Ritz-Carlton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Raya, named “Restaurant of the Year” by Riviera Orange County in July 2011, is a great restaurant concept by acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval. Raya showcases Pan-Latin Coastal Cuisine prepared with sustainable seafood, local produce, natural and organic meat and Chef Richard Sandoval’s signature Latin flavors. Discover delectable dining on the coast of Dana Point during your next visit.
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I figured hey, it's the RC, it should be DAMN good. We went here with several colleagues from work, and we're in the food business, two of us have been to culinary school, two of us are chocolatiers, and we have a lot of food experience. Ok, so we're foodies and we're food critics because of our backgrounds.

We were able to sample several dishes, including some ceviches as starters. The ceviches were good but not as good as anything I've had in Latin America. Lacking acidity and lacking punch. Main dishes were the same way-I had pork belly with udon noodles and vegetables.

Don't get me wrong-everything was good, very good. But I think a Ritz Carlton meal should be a WOW meal, a memorable meal, you should walk out of there feeling like you just had something special. Well, it fell short.

Being in the chocolate business, we all ordered desserts. Presentation was excellent. But the food, again, was not bold, audacious, or special-things I would expect from the RC.

In all, I wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars here for fine dining, it just doesn't live up to the hype. Food was generally underseasoned and underperforming for what you would expect. The service was good if a bit slow-but perhaps intentionally so, they didn't want to rush us. For the price you pay, and for it being the Ritz Carlton, the meal fell short.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I came here to celebrate my birthday with my sweetie, and Elizabeth did a fantastic job as our server. She suggested perfect items for us, and never once rushed us.

The view... fantastic!
Service... wonderful!
Staff.. excellent!

I couldn't find fault in the perfect evening. I was holding my breathe thinking something should fall apart at any moment, but even as our valet handed my BF the key, it was perfect.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I had a delicious meal at Bar Raya. My party sampled every appetizer and desert on the menu and everything was wonderful. Entrees were also excellent, although I personally only tried one entree. I appreciated that the atmosphere was nice without being formal. The view of the beach during sunset was amazing. Service was also very good but could have been better organized. My one recommendation would be to offer more vegetarian options on the menu.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

The view is incredible! The food was fine, albeit, it fell somewhat short of the price and the Ritz Carlton name. And the service was not exclusive and elegant as it should be in this level of an establishment. My wife and I dine at fine restaurants often; we were a bit disappointed, but we are willing to give it another attempt. Their number one quality is the view.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Went to the Bar Raya for lunch also the Resturant on the patio both terrible food. The fish taco tested like anything but fish taco and very salty. The chicken on my salad tested as if it was out of the can !!!!! Very disappointed.