“If only they stayed French!!!!”
Review of Bonjour Cafe

Bonjour Cafe
Ranked #32 of 145 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: A cozy table service or takeout traditional French Bistro place with indoor and lovely outdoor seating since 1992.Open everyday for Breakfast and Lunch with an extensive menu featuring a lot of Parisian specialties, serving generous portions including a kid menu for the little ones.We serve Wine and Beer plus weekend Champagne specials, serving also all kind of Coffee drinks from Cappucino to machiato etc...Free Parking is available all along the street plus we have a back private parking lot. We are located in the heart of Dana Point, 1 mile above the harbor and 5 minutes from all major resorts such as Ritz Carlton, St Regis, Marriott.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The menu is delectable but the portions are the antithesis of French Breakfast, the portions are HUGE and not in the good sense of the word. Any French person would have scoffed and given the Gaelic shrug at it. This leaves you with eating the French portion but paying the American price. Not fair!! The food is delicious especially considering that there is little real food in the immediate environment to compete with. Therefore we were hungry enough to eat it all!! We are keen to try the lunch menu as soon as we have recovered from this breakfast!!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I rarely take the opportunity to write restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor but in this case just felt I needed to include a shout-out to the Bonjour Cafe.

The menu is very creative with some of the freshest ingredients and unique items I have seen in the U.S. The place is charming and I felt like I was in a European cafe. The specialty coffees are amazing, all the dishes we tried were scrumptious. It may not be for your basic meat and egg eater (although I think you would do fine here too) but for those who appreciate unique flavors, fresh ingredients, and a helpful, professional staff, give it a try, you wont' regret it.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We visited Bonjour Café because they were mentioned in Westways Magazine and their menu sounded yummy. We met up w/ friends for brunch. The French Toast was supposed to be award winning, but it was not very exciting (the Tahitian was basically exactly the same as the regular but springled w/ coconut). We also had the veggie omelet and a chicken sandwich on a croissant. The omelet was fantastic, but the chicken in the sandwich was dry. Our friend is allergic to spinach, which came on the sandwich, and after hearing about the allergy our server had spinach exchanged for something else. However when the food arrived the sandwich was fine, but it came w/ a side salad that was 1/2 spinach! Additionally, the restaurant was too crowded but the service was very slow (it took more than 5 mins to get our waters and nearly 15 for the food to come). The prices seemed high for the quality of the food. We probably won't return.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Went to Bonjour Cafe for breakfast and I have to say, it was one of the best breakfasts I've had ever, no kidding! I had the Omelette Bretonne, which had smoked ham, Swiss cheese, mushrooms, fresh chives and potatoes. Just delicious!! The dish is normally served with the potatoes inside the omelet but I requested them on the side, which the server happily accommodated my request. The potatoes were amazing. I don't know how they prepared them but they were, deep golden-brown, soft and creamy, seasoned chunks of deliciousness. Others in our party had the Eggs Benedict, served on country french bread (not an English muffin), French toast, made with Brioche and dipped in coconut and served with mango banana puree and whipped cream. It didn't even need syrup. The outside atmosphere is that of a casual bistro with outdoor tables. The inside is very simple, with tables and a counter to order food to go. The coffee was delicious too and the orange juice tasted fresh squeezed!! Bonjour Cafe was a great experience. PS. I contacted the owner to compliment the restaurant and he sent me the recipe for the potatoes!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

While visiting Dana Point on Easter Sunday, we were looking for something that offered good food, but wasn't pretentious and over-priced like some of those extravagant buffets. Having read about Bonjour Cafe in 'Westways' magazine,we thought it sounded just perfect. We weren't disappointed!

AMPLE NEARBY PARKING
Bonjour Cafe has a bright sunny yellow awning and can't be missed along a quiet street of shops in Dana Point. Street parking was easy and free of charge right outside.

FRENCH AMBIANCE
There is outdoor seating under the awning or inside on cafe-style tables where the walls are adorned with beautiful murals and other Parisian photos and artwork, really giving it that Parisian flair.

AUTHENTIC FOOD
The food and drinks were perfect for what we were looking for. I ordered the 'Quiche du Jardin' which came with a colorful salad and was an ample portion. I also had one of their delicious mimosa style drinks (As recommended by owner Pascal!) and followed up with a cappuccino. My mom had the Nutella crepe with bananas and sliced almonds which looked scrumptious. My husband had a sandwich which was served between French-style crusty bread along with non-stop refills on regular black coffee. We also tried a side of the tasty sauteed potatoes which are soft on the inside and just crunchy enough on the outside!

SERVICE WAS JUST RIGHT
The staff were very attentive from the beginning and the owner Pascal was very personable. He's the real deal from Paris!

MAKE A DAY OF IT IN DANA POINT
Bonjour Cafe is only about a 5-minute walk away from a pleasant cliff-walk path with stunning views over the Dana Point Harbor. If you walk a little more, you can walk through Heritage Park, right down to the harbor itself where there are gift shops, beautiful boats and yachts to look at, water sport rentals and where the ferries leave for Catalina.

IN SUMMARY:
~Large menu to choose from including soups, salads, quiches, omelets, crepes, egg dishes, French toast and various sides including delicious sauteed potatoes.
~Delightful French decor and painted murals on the walls.
~Friendly staff, family run.
~Attractive web site featuring menus, photos and other useful info.
~Free available parking.