“"Charred" House”

Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 145 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pacific Coast Highway
Transit: PCH/Blue Lantern - bus
Description: From amazing views of the Pacific Ocean & Dana Point Harbor to unparalleled cuisine, Chart House is a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. Savor a seamless blend of fine seafood & steaks, while you enjoy the elegant atmosphere & impeccable service. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 30 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From top-of-the-catch seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as New Wave Sur & Turf, Macadamia Crusted Mahi & our slow roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

If there was an SPCA for steaks..... They would not have been called by the indifferent manager we called to our table to look at the supine bits of animal protein lurking on our plates.... Trying to be my best self, we agreed to try #2 but found the identical plates returned with our familiar over done steaks with a brush of fresh marinade ( I hope) Easily the worst steak we have been served in America ....

2  Thank Elzane V

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We celebrated at Chart House Dana Point and were so happy with our choice! Cory was a wonderful server- checked on us with out interrupting and made appropriate suggestions. We made a reservation and were able to pass many people waiting for a table. The view from the cliff is amazing! We had a window seat- which I recommend- the center tables looked fine, but you will have to look through people to see the harbor. My husband had the pine nut shrimp linguine and thought it was the best he had ever. The crab cakes were delicious. Chart House is known for its lava cake and ice cream dessert. Try to save room for dessert, because it is amazing. Drinks are pricey, but we were expecting it. Meals and location are worth the price.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended to eat here and overall was a good experience. The first time we went, we had a server called Jo who must be mentioned for her inability to serve !!! She told us all steaks were fatty and when we asked 'what about the coconut shrimp?' She replied ....'What about it ? ' one of the few servers in the whole of our trip who was terrible. The good is great and plentiful and the location offers some great views. Try the prime rib and the wonderful apple crisp dessert...mmmm

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We ate at the Charthouse on a Sunday night and had a great experience. It is perched on a hill overlooking the Dana Point Harbor and has truly amazing views. The food was good and service was excellent. The interior decor could use updating but was fine for us.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant on a Saturday evening. We had reservations and were promptly seated. We were given a table with a partial view of the ocean and marina. It was a table for four and if we sat on one side we had a full view. If we had sat on the other side we would not have had a view.

We first ordered the Ultimate Margarita, $12 a glass. It is too sweet and has minimal tequila flavor. Not worth the $12.

I ordered clam chowder and my wife ordered a chopped spinach sandwich. The clam chowder was lukewarm and I returned it with no issues from the staff. The chopped spinach salad was OK, with the spinach a little too limp.

I next ordered the grilled seafood combo with a crab cake, shrimp and salmon with a citrus glaze, and yukon mashed potatoes. The crab cake was falling apart and lukewarm. The shrimp tasted good but lukewarm, the salmon was good and the only component that was sufficiently warm, and the potatoes were also warm. I also returned this dish. My wife ordered filet mignon, medium rare and and it came cooked at the medium level. The manager came over and we discussed this issues and she agreed not to charge for these two items. We could have ordered something else but at this point it was an hour into the dinner and we did not want to be disappointed again.

Parking is challenging and we used valet service which costs $4 plus tip.

I compliment the manager for her willingness to solve the problem and remove the items from the bill. I just don't have confidence in the cooking or wait time items may sit before being delivered.