“This New Yorker approves of this Italian Establishment!”

Luciana's Ristorante
Ranked #4 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Blue Lantern
Transit: OCTA bus stop on the corner of Del Prado Ave and Street of the Ruby Lantern.
Description: Orange County's Authentic Italian RestaurantLocated in a historical home in the resort town of Dana Point, California, Luciana's Ristorante has been serving the Orange County community for over 25 years. The decor is reminiscent of a cozy European-style inn, establishing it as one of Orange County's most romantic restaurants. Awarded the Southern California Restaurant Writers gold medal since 1996, three stars from the California Restaurant Writers, Zagat's Survey "America’s 1,000 Top Italian Restaurants 2008" and an Award of Excellence for its wine list, Luciana's has been setting the standard for classic as well as innovative Italian cuisine. Whether visiting our cozy restaurant or Villa Lucia, our Bed and Breakfast and Cooking School in Tuscany, Italy, you are sure to experience the best and freshest combination of the old and new worlds.
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Whenever we return from our Cali trips, we are racing back to New York to have a proper Italian meal. We miss great italian food every time we visit the west coast. I wish we found Luciana's years ago. we usually stay in the Newport area, and there is ZILCH in the way of authentic Italian up there. Luciana's is the real deal. I went there two nights ago, knowing I'd have many criticisms to write up, but I have none. The appetizers were wonderful, esp the sauteed calamari, fresh and delicate. The salad's were spot on--simple and unadulterated fresh mozzarella and fresh tomatoes. Had the Linguine Luciana's and the seafood was so fresh and delicious, the sauce was authentic and (DRUMROLL:) the pasta was al dente. Service was superb, and we felt like we were back home in New York having a local meal at one of our favorite italian spots. Just so this review doesn't seem too inflated with praise, I will say this: when we first sat down and were told the specials, I thought we were off to a bad start, because the waiter announced something in a Chimichurri sauce of some sort. Chimichurri in an italian restaurant? Never in New York. All of a sudden I thought the sauces would reek of oregano from a jar, and the pasta would be overcooked. I was delighted in everything our table ordered. I avoided the chimichurri whatever it was, and stuck to the delicious authentic italian fare on the menu. We will go back, and we are so thrilled to find the one and only italian restaurant in the SoCal area to serve food from back home. Service and Food were wonderful.

2  Thank cheryl o

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My family arrived at this gem of a restaurant without a reservation at 7pm. We were told they wouldn't be able to seat us until 8:30. My five year old looked at the hostess with his big, puppy dog eyes. The next thing I know, the hostess was rearranging her reservations and was able to seat us within three minutes. As we walked to our table, we noticed the walls were adorned with all sorts of accolades for the establishment. It was very impressive. Our server was very knowledgeable of the menu and supplied us with the perfect amount of attention. Our food was amazing. We ordered two appetizers, Bruschetta, and shrimp scampi. They were both very tasty. My husband had the Bistecca alla gorgonzola for his main course. He loved every last morsel.
I ordered the tortellini di ricotta. It was prepared in a pink sauce and it was perfect. Just the right amount of pasta. For dessert we ordered Creme Brûlée and the mixed berry gelato. I must say, even have visited Italy, that the mixed berry gelato was the best I have ever had! This restaurant was so impressive. The owner even cleared our table when we were finished with our meal. If you are in the area, make a reservation and enjoy a very authentic Italian meal.

1  Thank Shari M
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Our food was delicious - Veal parm was very good. A nice wine list with a large variety of domestic and imported. Great dessert and good Grappa.
Most of all, our service stood out. Jose, our waiter was outstanding - checking in frequently while handling a number of customers and keeping his cool. And giving us updates about our meal, our ordering, etc.
Reasonably priced.

Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

We have been here a few times, and the food is always excellent. We were not disappointed this visit. However, our waiter had a very laid back attitude; no personality and very little interaction with our table. He seemed entirely disinterested in us and his job. That was disappointing for a special anniversary dinner.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I've lived near this restaurant for years and just recently decided to try it. I had the seafood pasta and the rest of the clan went for the lasagne....yum!

1  Thank Amy C