“Gen kai”

Dana Point, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gen kai”
Reviewed February 16, 2011

awww man! I wish this wasn't a one star review. Geez...how disappointing this place was. We saw it from across the marina market and decided to try it tonight for Happy Hour.

We ordered two glass of wine, house wine , , california rolls and volcano. It was all terrible. Lacked flavor and presentation.

I am easy to please. Especially with food. But this place was so below par it was ridiculous. The Rolls were not consistent in texture and filling. , and the volcano was dry . I couldn't believe how bad everything was. Food wise.

AS for the service, it was great. I really loved the staff there. sergio ,juan & roger ...from three different servers ...superb. But we came for the food and it was....meh...

Visited January 2011
1 Thank foreve1

Capitola, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Sushi we've ever had!”
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Atmosphere amazing. Sit at the bar and have your very own chef. They're all Japanese! I know that sounds silly, but it really made the night for us. Very, very good Sushi. Can't wait to go back.

Laguna Beach, CA
“Best Sushi in Dana Point”
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Went Friday night - very busy - but not a long wait. I love sushi and have been to many places on So Cal. This is by far my favorite. Must try DaBomb. It is da best! Sushi is fresh and chefs are great.

San Clemente, California
“Best sushi in DP”
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I have lived in Dana Point for over 20 years, and am 1/2 Japanese. I have eaten sushi most of my life. It is one of the best places there is. Real Japanese sushi chefs and fresh fish. People line up outside before it opens to get a spot at the sushi bar, especially on weekends.

These days, I sit in the restaurant area so my wife and kids can eat a teriyaki meal, and order sushi from the table instead of the bar. The regular Japanese restaurant is good, but not as excellent as the sushi. My kids love the green tea ice cream (more than other places for some reason).

chicago
“Seriously amazing”
Reviewed March 4, 2009

Gen Kai is not just my favorite sushi place in Orange County, it's my favorite anywhere! I lived in Dana Point for a few years and went to Gen Kai quite often. It's sushi is fresh, inventive and absolutely delicious! I've moved since then and still crave Gen Kai sushi. I highly recommend it!