“Best Sushi in 50 cities over 25 years!!!”

Gen Kai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 145 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Santa Barbara
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Sushi in 50 cities over 25 years!!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I Have been eating Sushi and Sashimi for over 25 years in at least 50 cities and will say without a doubt the 100 or so times I've eaten at Gen Kai were the best! Honestly I found one small place in Morro Bay in a small Marina and one place in Clearwater beach that were very good, but nothing has yet been as good as Gen Kai. I now live in Santa Barbara where the Sushi is ok but am planning to visit Dana Point (where I used to live) soon just for A night in Gen Kai.

1 Thank Trojans6411

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Such a cute place...sushi is delicious and is one of our favorite places to eat in Dana Point.”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good sushi in a fun, bustling setting”
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Good sushi in a fun, bustling setting

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
“Great sushi and fun atmosphere”
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I've eaten here a few times over the years, and this place has never disappointed. It has been a while since I've been there, but it sounds like they are still going strong. Even though it's been a while for me, I had to make this post, because this was the place, many years ago, that really turned me on to sushi. I had tried sushi a few times before, with "mixed" results, at best, but once I ate at Gen Kai, I finally realized what all the fuss was about, when it came to sushi. Fresh ingredients and expert preparation make all the difference. Since then, I've become a real sushi/sashimi lover. Gen Kai also has one of the more friendly, fun atmospheres I've encountered (not in an "entertaining the kids" sort of way, but in an "adult having a good time" sort of way), so the whole experience has always been a big positive. Highly recommended.

Irvine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite sushi place in Dana Point”
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I bring all my international visitors here for dinner... everyone from around the world appreciates the great food and fun service. Really nice atmosphere as well. Great for business associates, friends and dates. =)

1 Thank bscheller