“Happy Meals”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have gone to Gen Kai for lunch several times and each time the food has been excellent. A well known lunch special they offer is the "Happy Meal" and is one of the best lunch specials around! The fish has always been fresh and the amount of food is perfect. Another food item I love to order is the sushi burrito. The sauces and fish they use are fantastic! Additionally, their prices for lunch are unbelievable! It's truly one of the best deals around for lunch. They are pretty busy but the wait is worth it, trust me. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

In addition to very fresh fish, a lively atmosphere and friendly chefs, what makes Gen Kai stand out are the many specialties that we haven't seen anywhere else. One of my favorites is the sushi burrito, a delicious combination of tuna, shrimp tempura and crab and wrapped in soy paper and served with a side chili and mayo sauce. We introduced a friend to the sushi burrito and he said he's been dreaming about it all week! There are many other unique and delicious Mexican-inspired dishes and other specialties. After going to Gen Kai nearly every Friday night for 16 years we're pleased to vouch for restaurant's the consistently excellent food and service. Note that the sushi bar fills up very quickly. You may have a wait...but it's worth it!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

As a former So Cal resident, one of out family's must eats whenever we're in town is always Gen Kai Dana Point. Tonight's experience was so disappointing. Six of us ordered the Early Bird sashimi bento which, in the past, has been an incredible value for quality sashimi. Tonight was the glaring exception. The tuna sashimi was mushy, soggy, and cut into odd unevenly thick chunks or into slices "with the grain" with fibrous strands. One thick chunk was so mushy that it fell apart when I picked it up with my chopsticks. Simply unpalatable. Because four of us are locals and frequent guests, we were reluctant to complain. I decided to speak with the manager because we love this restaurant but don't ever want to have this experience again. I showed one slice of tuna to the manager and he was polite and apologetic. He said he would show the slice of fish to the chefs. Please don't disappoint us again with poor quality and/or fish too aged for sashimi presentation.

6  Thank Evergreenfamily
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We go most every Friday night and enjoy the combination plates. My children all started going when they were just two weeks old and that started over 4 years ago! They all love the shrimp tempura and rice with dessert of green tea ice cream. Young children are welcome and it gets very rowdy at night with college age groups and groups of friends of all ages gathering to enjoy the sushi and sake. It is a lot of fun. The noise level is usually pretty high!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I would give them 4 stars but the California rolls taste like pure Mayo, I like it better with very light Mayo, I don't know if they use Miracle Whip or Hellman's but they need to go lighter with it or use another brand. Otherwise, service pretty good, all the kids liked their Miso soups and Edemame. WARNING: They are NOT open for lunch on weekends! :(

1  Thank MoiTwo