“Smokey is right”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Seemed like a new restaurant
Description: Seemed like a new restaurant
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We arrived about 30 after they opened. Ordered the skillet cornbread, which was tasty but a little on the cold side. It must have been yesterday's cornbread. It would have been nice if it had been reheated better. Butter was cold too, so it was hard to spread. I wanted to eat light so I ordered the grilled veggie salad. Unfortunately, the vegetables on it smelled like they had been smoked themselves. Tasted like charcoal and that taste stayed with me the rest of the day. Yuck.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We ate at Smokey's one night in early September 2012. The restaurant was moderately crowded but we were promptly seated at what was an oversized table for two.In just a few seconds we were struck by the noise coming from a table of 6 women in the corner.The noise was highly disturbing but there was no place in the restaurant that could escape the endless cackling.Our waited was apologetic and said the table had been there drinking for over four hours.Now on to food.The menu is extremely broad with a good selection of BBQ and non BBQ items. I selected the BBQ chicken which came with potato salad and collard greens. My wife chose a chicken sandwich which was tasty and ample sized.In summary I would have to say the food and service was excellent and when we go back it will be we'll past the end of happy hour.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stopped in for lunch and was pleasantly surprised to get some pretty good barbecue. They have all the usual BBQ fare plus barbecue pizzas, grilled seafood items, Po Boys and a wide selection of appetizers. We had the skillet cornbread which was very good. The BBQ chicken was "on the bone" and very tender and flavorful. It was also nice to get my fix of fresh iced tea, something not too easy to come by in California!

A huge group of school kids and chaperones arrived and packed every table without any notice, just before our food arrived. I think they had the kitchen staff running drinks and food while the two waiters tried to make the best of it. Despite the chaos, our waiter was very friendly and still kept our drinks full and made sure we were taken care of.

The restaurant has a nice across the road view of the ocean and is right on PCH, only 5-10 minutes from St. Regis or Ritz Carlton, among other local attractions.

All in all, we had a nice lunch and I plan to go back the next time I'm in the area. If you like BBQ, you'll be happy to get a fix if you live in or visit Dana Point! They also have a second location near Camp Pendelton, but we did not visit that one.