New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great, luxury hotel close to the beach, directly beside a wonderful golf course” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monarch Beach Resort

Monarch Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
München
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

Great, luxury hotel close to the beach, directly beside a wonderful golf course. The Hotel is locaed about 1.5 hours south of LAX. it is very nice surrouned by green palm trees and flowers. It is directly at the Monarch Beach Golf course. Excellent service, very nice people. Rooms are spacious with state-of-the-art equipment. The downside is the pricing, it is very expensive and the charge for every single service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dover, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2010

Sorry for my late review. We stayed here 4 days last May for my wife's bday and our wedding anniversary. Pulling up the St Regis is very impressive with the water fountains and nice grounds. We arrived early around 12pm and we valeted our car.

Checkin was a breeze as we were the only ones checking in. I was happy to find out we were upgraded to one of the St Regis suites. We went up to the suite with the bellman and let me tell you the room was extraordinary. It was a huge 2 room suite, 2 full baths, the master had a soaking tube, living area with a flat screen, couch chairs, bedroom with flat screen ,2 balconies with ocean views. I have traveled extensively and this is one of the best rooms we have been in. The first being our over the water bungalow on our honeymoon at the Bora Bora Nui Resort and Spa, formerly a starwood property but now a Hilton.

The suite was in great shape decorated in a contemporary style. The suite was located on the left hand side of the hotel if you were looking at the ocean. The ocean views were from the balconies but dont take that as bad because the suite was awesome.

With the suites you do get the St Regis butler service. My wife loved the coffee and scones in the morning. All you have to do is call the butler and they come and deliver the coffee and for me the tea. There is no charge but I always tipped.

The hotel seemed empty when we were there. It had to do with the economy and alot of corporations cutting functions. If you remember AIG hosted a weeklong function at this St Regis and the press killed them.

This worked out for us as we had the hotel to ourselves. We stayed tuesday-friday and we literally were the only ones at the pool or beach. We loved the peace and quiet.

The lobby, public spaces are all gorgeous. They had two pool areas one a main pool that looked out onto the ocean with a nice water fountain and a side pool where they had a hot tub. The only issue was the hot tub wasn't hot. oh well.

We had spa treaments and the spa is very nice,clean and spacious. To get to the beach you to have to take a golf cart shuttle down but it was no big deal you just go to waiting area and they would come and get you. The ride down was nice to the beach area where there was a bar and grill down there. When you wanted to head back to the hotel just ask the bartender and he would call the cart to get you.

We spent all out time at the property and really enjoyed ourselves. The property is in great shape and we loved how peaceful and quiet it was. We had dinner at the Monarch Beach Club which is the place down at the beach. Great food, had a table right along the window watched the sunet. In fact we had the dining room to ourselves. We loved it. We also had dinner at the Stonehill Tavern in the main hotel. Excellent food and service my wife and I had the whole fried chicken dinner for two. It was very tasty.

The hotel sent us a nice bottle of champagne and fruit to recognize our anniversary. My wife and I enjoyed on our living room balcony as we watched the sunset.
The hotel also sent us a nice card recognizing my Platinum status. That was a nice touch.

In closing this is a great hotel. Expensive yes, value yes. It is of course a St Regis the top of the chain for Starwood properties. We absolutely loved our room, staff was great, ground was great, food was great.

The only thing we worry about is when we come back will it be as empty as it was when we were there. We had such a great time and part of it was the fact that no one was there. let me know if anyone has questions

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PlatinumPete
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

Termites had moved in to our home. We had no choice but to tent the house and I was not interested in coming back until every last fume of the gas had been done away with. But, where to go? Neither of us was interested in slogging through an airport...it was only a 4 day situation anyway.

We jumped into my wagon and drove down Pacific Coast Highway looking for a perfect spot to feel taken care of, pampered, well fed, and able to work on some projects we had been postponing. We stopped at about 15 hotels, resorts, inns and it was at The St. Regis that we found personnel keenly pleased and proud to be of assistance. It made the decision for us. We went home to set the tent date and make reservations.

It's a little pricey...husband loves luxury but at mid-western prices, so I have to arrange for things and not tell him the bottom line...and actually it was quite reasonable in the scheme of things. The dining was top drawer. Stonemill was a gourmet delight and Monarch Bayclub was like dining in a black and white film starring Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

Every person we encountered in our experience there was remarkably well trained and particularly well suited for the hospitality industry. Well-hired and well trained...a very nice touch indeed.

I can't wait to find more termites...or maybe even some less dire excuse...it's my new go-to place. Did I mention the gardens???

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank misscharlie064
Bozeman, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

This is our second time visiting this property. When we first visited in 2007, the spa facilities were first class. Three years has passed and it doesn't seem as though they have invested much money in updating the facilities. The gym in particular could use completely new cardio machinery, as multiple machines did not work or did not have functioning TVs. At a resort that charges what it charges, this is completely unacceptable. In addition, the locker room facilities were somewhat dirty, with overflowing trash cans and stray dirty towels. Having just spent three days at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, where the spa facilities were recently redone, I can say that the spa at the St. Regis could use an update. That said, I applaud the St. Regis for changing its policy and not charging guests who are not receiving treatments a fee to use the locker rooms.

The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed, with huge bathrooms sporting separate tub and shower and double sink.

The pools are somewhat ordinary, but the poolside service was nice and attentive. The beach is beautiful, but service at the beach club seems to have slipped a bit (or maybe May is still too early for the place to really ramp up).

In any case, this is a very nice resort, though I do not think it is worth the very high rates that it levies. Valet parking is 30 dollars a day, which is outrageous and is not included in the 25 dollar resort fee.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
san diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

My husband had a conference at the hotel. He brought us (the wife and kids). Initially, we couldn't stop ewwing and awwing at how beautiful the hotel was and how over the top the 5-star service was. We walked down to Monarch Beach Club (do not miss) and I continued to be impressed. HOWEVER, the food service erroded our experience. Getting coffee in the morning took a long time. When the meal was over, the servers wanted us to leave. They stopped serving coffee or tea or water. It was time to go. The hotel was virtually empty and the food service was VERY slow. A girlfriend and I had lunch outside. We were the only party at the restaurant. When we were finished eating, she left and I received a phone call. I sat for another 30 minutes while the server cleaned my table and left my glass empty. This happened all three mornings after we finished eating. They did not want us lingering over coffee.

For dinner in the main restaurant we told the waiter our kids were tired and we needed to be served relatively quickly. It took 2 hours. Getting the food took forever and the waiter spent 20 minutes doing God knows what in between giving us the dessert menu and taking our order.

If the trip had been on our dime, I would have been really disappointed. As it was, we were all able to overlook slow service and had a nice time anyway.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank simondog
Wrightwood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel but the rooms were very noisy. Granted I may have just been on a bad floor but the patrons were yelling in the hallways, every flush of the toilet, shower and hair dryer could easily be heard, and every room service pickup came with a crashing of plates and silverware as if they were being dumped into a bin. In addition, a maid opened my room door without even a knock. Thank god I had the additional security bold latched which stopped the door from opening completely.

Southwest,USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2010

My wife and I checked in on May 3rd for a two night stay.We have stayed at most of the SPG St. Regis properties worldwide. Without a doubt this property was the finest.Excellent restaurants, spa and outstanding staff...They worried about every detail..
As a SPG Platinum member I received outstanding extra benefits.....

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#6 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 20 in Huntington Beach
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,035 reviews

Been to Monarch Beach Resort? Share your experiences!