$247
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
$338
Orbitz.com
Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel(Dana Point)(Great Value!)
$178
$823
$799
  • Beachfront
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $886/night.

TripAdvisor
2,909 results
All reviewsgolf coursebeach clubst regisstonehill tavernbutler servicebeautiful propertyturn down servicelobby barmain poolthe ritzkids poolpool stafffour seasonshigh endpool viewfive star hotelbottle of champagne
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Termites had moved in to our home. We had no choice but to tent the house and I was not interested in coming back until every last fume of the gas had been done away with. But, where to go? Neither of us was interested in slogging through an airport...it was only a 4 day situation anyway.

We jumped into my wagon and drove down Pacific Coast Highway looking for a perfect spot to feel taken care of, pampered, well fed, and able to work on some projects we had been postponing. We stopped at about 15 hotels, resorts, inns and it was at The St. Regis that we found personnel keenly pleased and proud to be of assistance. It made the decision for us. We went home to set the tent date and make reservations.

It's a little pricey...husband loves luxury but at mid-western prices, so I have to arrange for things and not tell him the bottom line...and actually it was quite reasonable in the scheme of things. The dining was top drawer. Stonemill was a gourmet delight and Monarch Bayclub was like dining in a black and white film starring Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

Every person we encountered in our experience there was remarkably well trained and particularly well suited for the hospitality industry. Well-hired and well trained...a very nice touch indeed.

I can't wait to find more termites...or maybe even some less dire excuse...it's my new go-to place. Did I mention the gardens???

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank misscharlie064
Reviewed May 28, 2010

This is our second time visiting this property. When we first visited in 2007, the spa facilities were first class. Three years has passed and it doesn't seem as though they have invested much money in updating the facilities. The gym in particular could use completely new cardio machinery, as multiple machines did not work or did not have functioning TVs. At a resort that charges what it charges, this is completely unacceptable. In addition, the locker room facilities were somewhat dirty, with overflowing trash cans and stray dirty towels. Having just spent three days at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, where the spa facilities were recently redone, I can say that the spa at the St. Regis could use an update. That said, I applaud the St. Regis for changing its policy and not charging guests who are not receiving treatments a fee to use the locker rooms.

The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed, with huge bathrooms sporting separate tub and shower and double sink.

The pools are somewhat ordinary, but the poolside service was nice and attentive. The beach is beautiful, but service at the beach club seems to have slipped a bit (or maybe May is still too early for the place to really ramp up).

In any case, this is a very nice resort, though I do not think it is worth the very high rates that it levies. Valet parking is 30 dollars a day, which is outrageous and is not included in the 25 dollar resort fee.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2010

My husband had a conference at the hotel. He brought us (the wife and kids). Initially, we couldn't stop ewwing and awwing at how beautiful the hotel was and how over the top the 5-star service was. We walked down to Monarch Beach Club (do not miss) and I continued to be impressed. HOWEVER, the food service erroded our experience. Getting coffee in the morning took a long time. When the meal was over, the servers wanted us to leave. They stopped serving coffee or tea or water. It was time to go. The hotel was virtually empty and the food service was VERY slow. A girlfriend and I had lunch outside. We were the only party at the restaurant. When we were finished eating, she left and I received a phone call. I sat for another 30 minutes while the server cleaned my table and left my glass empty. This happened all three mornings after we finished eating. They did not want us lingering over coffee.

For dinner in the main restaurant we told the waiter our kids were tired and we needed to be served relatively quickly. It took 2 hours. Getting the food took forever and the waiter spent 20 minutes doing God knows what in between giving us the dessert menu and taking our order.

If the trip had been on our dime, I would have been really disappointed. As it was, we were all able to overlook slow service and had a nice time anyway.

1  Thank simondog
Reviewed May 22, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel but the rooms were very noisy. Granted I may have just been on a bad floor but the patrons were yelling in the hallways, every flush of the toilet, shower and hair dryer could easily be heard, and every room service pickup came with a crashing of plates and silverware as if they were being dumped into a bin. In addition, a maid opened my room door without even a knock. Thank god I had the additional security bold latched which stopped the door from opening completely.

Reviewed May 14, 2010

My wife and I checked in on May 3rd for a two night stay.We have stayed at most of the SPG St. Regis properties worldwide. Without a doubt this property was the finest.Excellent restaurants, spa and outstanding staff...They worried about every detail..
As a SPG Platinum member I received outstanding extra benefits.....