“Beach Service Worth It”

Monarch Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Reviewed October 10, 2006

Yes it's expensive. Yes it's industrial looking. Yes it's too big. But is there anywhere else that you get private beach service in California? Not that I know of and the service is great at the beach. Check-in and check-out was a problem and the hotel is a terrible design - think new orleans convention style; however, the surf and sand are to die for. Don't go on the weekend when a million obnoxious rich kids take over the pool. And eat only at Stonehill if you appreciate food...the restaurants in town are terrible.
As a note, The Montage is a much more beautiful hotel but it's twice the price and the beach is crappy.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank forgetdomani

Reviewed October 9, 2006

We have just returned from a one week stay at the St Regis. Its a stunning hotel - one of the best Ive been to and I am a regular traveller to hotels such as the Ritz Carlton chain. The rooms were equally fantastic - we had a resort view which is the cheapest. They are very modern, good size, nice balcony, very comfy beds, huge bathroom with an awesome shower. The pool area is stunning with great views.There are three great shopping areas within 30mins of the hotel and the surrounding towns are beautiful and full of great restaurants and shops. The beach is wonderful - you can take a 15min walk down which is great or take the shuttle to the private beach where you can have chairs and towels courtesy of the hotel. We ate in the restaurant for dinner once and although it was of course pricey with small portions it was very good.
However our stay wasnt perfect: the golf course was being reseed while we were there which was a big problem to our family of golfers as the few courses nearby arent nearly as good. The other problems we encountered were very slow breakfast - its a la carte and we waited 25 mins for cereal and juice most mornings. Its also very expensive so get breakfast included with your stay. We also felt that the staff were not very helpful or friendly. There was a hint of snobbishness which we hardly ever come accross in amercia. The only other little thing which bugged us was the maid service - sometimes we got little cards through our door stating our room could not be cleaned as we requested privacy (we had not), another occasion my daughter had her birthday cake, 3/4 remaining, taken away (they did send a repalcement) and we constantly found our stuff shoved away in places we couldnt find it - we felt scared to leave anything out. Overall we got the impression that it is a conference and events such as weddings orientated place - so wouldnt want to stay for more than a long weekend. We checked out the Ritz Carlotn down the road and the St Regis was far superior. We loved it and would return again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank sunshinelovers
Reviewed October 7, 2006

Stayed at the St. Regis for my 11th Anniversary weekend.
First let me start by saying the property & grounds are breathtaking. I will not go into detail because the photos on their website speak for themselves.

To size my stay up. Spa was nice - but be prepared very expensive. Food wether its room service or the restaurants was terrible and outrageously priced. Views great but you have to pay a lot to get one. Rooms are nice - beds terrible, linens terrible, bathrooms are spectacular except they don't even stock the amenities for two people and for these prices you would think they would supply soap in the shower. Butler service (what a joke) - don't bother, never saw a butler-got one phone call and that was it. Complained to management about a few things and they don't care. Didn't try to help and didn't seem to care how much money we were spending. Staff & Management ruined my experience at this resort. My advice go their for an hour or two to see the grounds then leave.

Baically when I'm paying $925.00 a night just for the room I expect a certain level of Service & Caring and I just didn't get it here. And that's a shame for such a beautiful place. I don't mind paying the money if I feel like I got my moneys worth. It just doesn't happen here. I agree with the other reviews management needs to read trip advisor . By the way, what nerve to charge $30 a day for valet parking when charging $925.00 per night for a room. That should be included. Especially since they give no other parking options.....

PS: For the people claiming the rudeness of employess & management have anything to do with them being from the OC - not true. I have lived in Orange County for 27 years no one I know or come accross acts like this.. The staff at this place are obviously taking attitude lessons from their management who by the way is not from Orange County...........

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CCF12
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Have been to conferences here for years and just attended another. This is a standard luxury hotel - the rooms are nice, although the standard rooms are nothing special - try an Executive Suite for something really nice. Everything here is OK - not on par with Four Seasons for service but just one step below. The property is nice - pool, golf course - but not spectacular. Food is good.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank JohnsonProf
Reviewed September 24, 2006

The propery at this resort is indeed lovely - just as their website shows. The rooms are superb - but the service and hidden fees ruined most of the trip.
The spa services are very expensive - we booked a facial and massage, at prices 30% over the average high end resort. To add insult to the already high bill, a 20% gratuity is included - which the guest has no option but to pay -regardless of services rendered. This "tip" is not listed in any brochure or any part of the price list or web site.
We were charged $30 per night for valet parking - although there is no other apparent option. When challenged, I was informed I could have searched for the self park sign - though they admitted it would have been a search - and then I would pay $25 and not have the option of taking my car out during my stay!
At the rates they charge - I certainly don't want to be treated like a prisoner rather than a guest!
During our two night stay we had 2 fire alarms - one at 7:30am due to a bride hanging her dress on the sprinkler system - the next while we were in the spa - not exactly relaxing.
The second night we had to call security to have the stereo in the room above us shut off - it was 3:00am.
At the beach we waited 2 hours and 2 requests for service later, someone finally took our order. On a hot, sunny, Saturday afternoon they only put 2 people on a 6 acre beach for service.
Go for the views - but only go if you aren't paying full price!

Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank katev
Reviewed September 5, 2006

Simply Exceptional in every detail. From accomodations and food service, to hospitality and special requests, we were treated like royalty at every opportunity.

Stayed: February 2002
1  Thank ChrisDM
Reviewed August 31, 2006

I have stayed at all the fine hotels in the area including the Ritz Carlton, the Montage, and this hotel, the St. Regis. The downfall of this property compared to the others is that the staff is a bunch of young adults who do not know much imformation about the resorts; the Montage and Ritz carlton have a proffesional Staff. However, the St. regis has the best Beach Club I have ever seen in my life! I swear it is awesome! The Ritz Carlton and Montage don't have one. Personally, people think it is expensive, but the Montage starts at over $700 and the Ritz Carlton is $400 plus a $25 resort fee. Get a pool Cabana they are really nice. TIndulge yourself here and prepare to have a fn time. 1 more thing, since the St. Regis is only near the beach, they have a cute golf cart tram like ride that is actually fun that takes you right up to a clean and private beach.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Lovz2Travel
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Monarch Beach Resort? Share your experiences!