We just returned from a 5 night stay (Aug. 12-17) at this resort. Although the property itself is beautiful, the overall experience would never rank with our experiences at any Four Seasons property, or even with Bacara in Santa Barbara. The room was nice, but not special. Only the bathroom was on par with other 4-5 star resorts. The food at their dinner restaurant, Motif, was just plain awful. My husband ordered beef short ribs and was presented with a large mound of congealed fat. When he complained to the waiter, he was told that all short ribs are "fatty". My $33 John Dory was tasteless and over done.
As to service, all of the staff inside the hotel were pleasant and helpful. However outside was another story. We spent 4 days at the pool and had to refill our own water glasses all four days. The pool staff will gladly set up your chairs and take your tip, but you'll never see them again (though they stand around at the entrance to the pool all day chatting). The gentleman next to us tipped the attendant $20.00 for two chairs and still never saw her again! They did come around each day with melted popsicles that left you sticky and thirsty....but still no water. We found this lack of service at a $500+ per night hotel/resort appalling. It proved to us that no matter how much money the Starwood Corporation spends on a property, they will never rise to the level of a Four Seasons or even a Ritz Carlton property until they change the way they manage their hotels. Obviously, their top management does not read Trip Advisor or the comments made by their guests. For this reason alone, this will be our first and last trip to a St. Regis property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our AAA Five-Diamond resort overlooks the Pacific and offers private beach club access, with watersports, oceanfront golf, award-winning Miraval Life in Balance Spa, swimming pools, upscale dining, activities programs and more. Located in Dana Point, the resort offers easy access to a variety of Southern California attractions including Catalina Island, Dana Point Harbor, Laguna art galleries and events, Disneyland and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Monarch Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Regis, Monarch Beach Hotel Dana Point
- St Regis Dana Point
- St Regis Resort Monarch Beach