“Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Kempen, Germany
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

Everything was justperfect ice roms nice service good weather! hanks a lo for staying wth you!

Stayed December 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chevy Chase, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

Rooms are nice and the property and amenities clearly seek to emulate a top flight Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. However, the service is woefully lacking. At checkin, they had the billing information wrong (was supposed to be direct billed to my client but they lost that part of the record). No big deal -- that happens often (though I can't understand why). But when I got to my room and couldn't reach 24 hour room service at 11:00 pm I was frustrated. Called several times. No one ever answered. Finally it rang long enough that it went through to the concierge. The concierge couldn't find anyone and promised room service would call me back, which they eventually did. Food was great when it arrived, but come-on. No one answers at room service and they have to call you back? My client left a very thoughtful gift for me that was supposed to be waiting in my room when I checked in on October 15. However, it never made it to my room. I had no idea I was supposed to receive a gift until my client asked me about it (no doubt wondering why I had failed to mention it and offer thanks) on the 17th. They had to call hotel management to find out where it disappeared to. Had it never come up in conversation 36 hours after I was supposed to have received it someone at the St. Regis no doubt would have been the lucky (though I am sure inadvertent) beneficiary. Wanted to try the 24-hour outdoor pool and hot tub on my last night there but my room key didn't open the gate. Went to the front desk (not a short trip) and they made a new room key for me assuring it would work. It didn't. After more than 30 minutes of trying to deal with this problem, walking back and forth between pool, room, and front desk, I gave up and called to advise the front desk since I felt they should know guests can't get into the pool. They then offered to issue me a "special pass key" that was "guaranteed to work" because it would "override" the regular system. After all this time I had lost my enthusiasm for the pool. And why should I need a "special pass key" to "override" the normal system to get into an area that is billed as being available to guests 24/7? In addition to all of that, no wireless (get serious); nearly adequate wired connection instead that was very glitchy and disconnected at irregular intervals for no apparent reason. Cable channels very limited. All in all, this in no way approximates the level of service and amenities that should enable it to compete with a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. I highly recommend you try the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel over this St. Regis. I have never been to the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel, but I have never had a service experience like this at a Ritz or Four Seasons. Not that they weren't friendly and pleasant or failed to try. My guess is that they have just been forced to cut back staff too far in these economic times. I have to chuckle that reviews of the Ritz Carlton property on Abaco Island in the Bahamas tend to focus on how the service there is more Bahamian than Ritz Carlton. We have been there several times and the worst day at the Ritz on Abaco Island far exceeds the service experience I had at the St. Regis at Monarch Beach, CA. If it is white glove service, one of the gloves is missing and the other is in tatters.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
SF Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

I will say the weather was not nice this year in Southern CA. Overcast, windy, humid. Despite that, the property is beautiful. Traveled with my husband and five year old. Stayed in the St. Regis suite. It was really nice, not overly attended to. Large dying plant in the room, nails sticking out of sofa sleeper which I sliced my finger on, and hair in the tub. Housekeeping tended to all of it...eventually. We stayed 5 days. The beach is not close or overly convenient. Shuttle will take you through the golf course and pick you up. There is staff on the beach to provide chairs, umbrella and towel promptly. You can walk back to the nearby restaurant/bar for drinks or food.
Michael Mina's restaurant was the highlight. The food, wine and service OUTSTANDING. Convenient gift shops for anything you might need and some you might not need but buy anyway.

The other restaurants were just okay. Breakfast buffet mediocre and outdoors so that you must content with the scavenger birds while trying to eat. The hotel does not communicate that there is a great restaurant about 15 minutes from the resort that has a shuttle!! Fabulous! Mozabique? Im sure that I'm hatching their name. Its a steakhouse. We also ate offsite at a nearby chinese food restaurant which was not good but a welcome change and the Salt Creek Grill another 5 minute taxi ride. Salt Creek is basically a Chili's type of restaurant.

I look forward to returning to the Laguna area again in Summer 2010, but I think we'll stay closer to the Montage Resort, but not as far as the Pelican Bay resort. There just seem to be much more action in that direction.

I would recommend St. Regis for an over night or two day stay, but thats about it. The staff is friendly, but the were not breaking their back to communicate. Families received a schedule of children's activities and a beach pail and shovel when they check in. We got ours as we were getting in a town car on day two by a staff member who notice we had a 5 year old.

Kids pool is great with a super shallow pool that all the kids love from age 0-5. The bar/food service was very attentive and they serve the kids popsicles mid day. Nice touch. We didnt participate in the kids club.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
lilfajita
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2009

We spent part of our honeymoon at the St.Regis, and I was very happy with the experience. The atmosphere is very relaxing, with tons of nooks to the property where you can escape. The service was incredible, from the champagne in our room as a surprise for our honeymoon to the helpful service at the concierge desk. This is definitely a secluded spot, so unless you drive, you are limited to the entertainment and food at the hotel (which, as one can imagine is pretty expensive). A great place for an escape though.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

First off, I am a 38 year old female with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).
I would love to go places but staying in a hotel is the only thing that is stopping me from doing so.
This is the only hotel that is acceptable to me.
The place, service, food, ambience.
Been going to this place for 4 years now and still the great service we received the first time we visited it!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
mishicot,wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the St Regis for 3 nights and we enjoyed ourselves very much.The resort was very beautiful and the landscape was breath taking.Prices were very high but the service was excellent.We stayed by the pool bar most of the time.It was less stuffy and the food was very good.They have a spa where you can just relax and be waited on.This was a very high class place.They also have a shuttle that is offered that will take you to their beach club along the ocean.You get a beautiful view and great drinks but the service at the beach club was not that great the lady bartending was rude.We rented a car at the resort it was pretty reasonable and they were very helpful with directions to places we wanted to see they even printed out step by step instructions for us.I would stay at this resort again.

Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
los angeles, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

It helps to be a buyer of travel services because we had a fabulous upgrade extended. The hotel is kept in excellent condition. Basically we felt like the only guests there.
the rooms are large, well appointed, and luxurious. I was not quite sure why I needed a butler. But, having coffee and tea brought to our room in the morning was a very nice touch. The kids loved the hot chocolate.
The beach is absolutely beautiful. You don't even mind taking the golf cart to access it.
The food was expensive but delicious. Hate to pay resort fees but unavoidable this trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,076 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel

Been to Monarch Beach Resort? Share your experiences!