Chose the St. Regis to celebrate an anniversary with my boyfriend. Overall enjoyable, but not perfect - not what I expected for a 5-star property...
Beautiful hotel and tastefully appointed room - good bath products and great pillows. Most of the staff were very courteous and friendly. As it was our anniversary, the hotel was nice enough to provide us with complimentary bottle of champagne. The beach was far, but very nice and the food at the beach club was yummy. Liked the three different pools and the pool chairs were great, but see comments below about dislikes. Attendants at both beach and pool were very nice. Turndown service was thoughtful as they laid out our robes and provided slippers. Also, we forgot toothpaste and the staff was nice enough to deliver not only toothpaste but toothbrushes and mouthwash. Finally, as an SPG Gold member, we were able to check in early and check-out late - this allowed us to make the most of our quick trip.
What bothered me the most was that the front desk person who checked us in/out was not friendly at all. She did not ask how we were doing when we arrived and did not inquire about our stay when we departed and did not smile. You'd think since she'd checked me in the day before she'd at least have remembered to ask about our stay. She also did not address me by my name. Also, I was not given an upgraded room although the person checking-in next time (also an SPG Gold member) was - I heard his front desk person announce it. That was annoying especially since we were on the 2nd floor. The champagne was nice, but there was note accompanying it. Was it for our anniversary or for being an SPG Gold member? At all my other stays at SPG properties - there has always been a nice personalized, welcome note. As I mentioned earlier, I like the beach but didn't necessarily want to do the golf ride. Also, it would be great if they had full beach chairs and food/beverage service right on the beach. Went night swimming and thought the heated pool could have been much warmer. Also, the pool area wasn't as clean as I expected it - saw cigarette butts, glass, and plastic cups. During the area was much cleaner. The valet service was inconsistent sometimes they'd open the door for me (regardless of how busy - or not busy it was) and sometimes they wouldn't.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our AAA Five-Diamond resort overlooks the Pacific and offers private beach club access, with watersports, oceanfront golf, award-winning Miraval Life in Balance Spa, swimming pools, upscale dining, activities programs and more. Located in Dana Point, the resort offers easy access to a variety of Southern California attractions including Catalina Island, Dana Point Harbor, Laguna art galleries and events, Disneyland and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Monarch Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Regis, Monarch Beach Hotel Dana Point
- St Regis Dana Point
- St Regis Resort Monarch Beach