“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
San Diego
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

I recently stayed at the St. Regis over Memorial Day Weekend. The room was complimentary (I was a vendor for a wedding there), but I will still try to write this review from the perspective that I had spent $4-500 for the room.
Overall I was extremely impressed. From the moment I checked in, ALL of the staff were very friendly and willing to help. The lobby area is beautiful, and the check-in process was very easy. All areas, indoor and out, are amazingly clean and well-kept - from the carpet in the guest rooms to the patio areas, the lounges to the restrooms.
My guest room was beautiful. A perfectly comfortable bed, enormous bathroom (with a GIANT tub!), and a very nice balcony with a great view of the lawn and ocean.
My only complaint was that, for the price, there is no complimentary in-room coffee or continental breakfast offered. As I mentioned before, I did not pay for the room so I didn't find this to be much of an issue. However, if I HAD paid, it would have been nice to have at least been able to brew some coffee in my room rather than going to Crust (the hotel's coffee shop) and paying $4.50 for a regular coffee and $8.00 for a bagel with cream cheese - or going to Starbucks across the street by the Ritz, which is what I did.
All in all though, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the St. Regis and will absolutely be back again if my job were to take me here, or if I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it on my own. :)

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

This hotel came with a recommendation from my husband when had stayed here in 2007. He stated his job paid for him at a discounted rate. I can see why. There was no attention to details. If this had been a $100-150 room I would not be writing this review but for $400-600 for the cheapest room is OUTRAGEOUS! The food was terrible, stale chips from a bag and jarred tostidos salsa at the pool for $10. Slow service, incorrect drink orders. Other negatives included; Dirty carpet throughout even though they were loudly installing new carpet in only a very small area but with great noise for days. At breakfast the "fresh squeezed juice" was $9.50 and was NOT FRESH. They served us frozen berries labeled as fresh in the menu too. I found blood on my napkin. The pieces of art in the lobby were broken and very dusty. I could go on and on. To summarize the hotel was not a first class resort on an ocean bluff where one might expect slightly higher prices. This was gouging and with poor qaulity and marginal service. I don't mind paying for quality but I received nothing but a high bill at checkout.

• Liked — Location in Orange County
  • Disliked — Very poor value for money spent
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank demikaz
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2008

I typically stay at the Ritz Carlton, across the street and on the beach, and have stayed before at the Surf and Sand, also on the beach, and by far the St Regis is the better property of the three even though it is across the street from the beach. First of all the St Regis is newer and looks it. The architecture and landscaping are beautiful. The rooms and bathrooms are more spacious. The grounds are larger. The layout of the hotel is more conducive to privacy and leisure. And most of all, the hotel is more elegant. The service was attentive, although I asked for a first floor room to avoid my 2 year old from stepping up on a patio chair and going over the 4th floor patio balacony, but management said the 1st floor was reserved for deep cleaning; even though I saw some first floor rooms occupied by guests. Also, when I asked for DVD's for my daughter, the concierge required me to give her a copy of my driver's license, and sign a form agreeing to pay $5 for every day over 24 hours (The Ritz Carlton just hands them out free no questions asked). We were greeted at the front desk with buckets and shovels for the kids, and water for my wife and I (no fruit like the Ritz Carlton). The room had balloons inside for a birthday party we were attending in the grounds that evening; housekeeping brought my toddlers toddler robes and slippers; and room service was brought within 30 minutes. Kids food portions are large and not too expensive (although the options are standard and limited). The adult food is very expensive, with no alternatives except for a small coffee shop that sells bagels, muffins, bananas, yogurt, cereal, etc., but it closes early. The rooms are spacious, clean and beautifully decorated. The bathrooms are also roomy, with a soaking tub, and music speakers. The bedroom has a 47 inch flat screen tv and dvd players. The restaurant did turn the light on at 11 pm even though we were not done with out birthday party celebration. Other than a few minor distractions, we loved our trip, and enjoyed the pools and beach. The staff were all very helpful, especially the boys who drove the tram to the beach, the poolside service attendant, and housekeeping. I can't wait to go back to this property!!!

• Liked — Luxury and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Food very expensive (restaurant at the beach very snobby)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2008

Stayed at St Regis Monarch Bay for about a week for a convention for my wife's work. The staff down to the maids were so friendly and helpful. There is staff waiting on you everywhere.
Everything is first class - pool, rooms, grounds, bar, restaurants, gym, spa. We will now be spoiled and compare every other hotel to this -- not many will compare. This place is very, very nice!

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank MonroeLA
Lake Oswego, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

My husband and I went down there on a Saturday for a quick weekend getaway. We got there at 1pm and they checked us in right away. Service is great!!!! The best service I have ever experienced....everyone is SO lovely and helpful.
The room was fabulous - great shower, comfortable bed, large TV.
The gym is nice and quite large...it's a very peaceful gym with that wonderful spa feeling and smell - fresh fruit, tea available etc.
The food we found to be VERY good - whether by the pool or in the restaurant, although it is expensive.
I liked the beach club...great comfortable beach chairs and a nice beach restaurant. I recommend having a drink at the bar there...it has an amazing view of the glistening ocean. Only negative is that we had to wait about 20minutes at the beach club for the golf cart to pick us up again and drive us back to the hotel.
The pool area was so-so in our opinion....no real views of the ocean and you are all cramped in there almost touching the person next to you....and we weren't even near the pool, so really what's the point?
All in all, though, a wonderfully relaxing stay....we were only there for one night yet felt like we had been on vacation for a while!

• Liked — Service, food, rooms, gym
  • Disliked — Not a great location, underwhelming pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LAtravelfan
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

We just checked out of the St. Regis...early. My husband and I were supposed to be staying at the SR for 3 nights, but checked out after only 1 night. I agree with the other traveler's comments about the front desk people being "cold". We had booked a St. Regis Suite at 1135.00 per night. When we arrived we were told that we had been upgraded to a Royal Suite. We were excited about that until we actually arrived at our room. It was over looking a huge construction site. When we voiced our concern over lack of view, we were told that we could switch rooms, but that the fee would be higher for an ocean view. I did not feel that we should be charged an up fee after we were already paying so much. I declined the offer to move and we stayed in the room over looking the construction site. We were awoken by the beeping of construction trucks at 7 am sharp. Besides that, our internet was not working and we had engineers in our room for 2 hours that morning, to no avail. Internet is vital for my husband's job, and not having a connection was a problem.
We had finally had it. We knew that there were plenty of other options in the area and felt that we were not being treated like SPG gold members and chose to move on. Of course the front desk was once again frigid. I was told that I would be charged an early departure fee. I explained that it should have been mandatory on part of the hotel to advise customer's of construction and that we were not satisfied. I went on to tell him that the lack of internet was a deal breaker for us, and he sharply replied "well, I am sure that you're aware that we have a business center that you could have used". I did not want to take the time nor did I feel that I had to explain to him that my husband is a commodities trader and the markets he trades are NYC time and that he trades in the middle of the night and that the business center is closed.
Besides the front desk being rude, everyone else compensated where they fell short. Kent was our bellman and was so funny and normal. Our butler tried to smooth things over, and could not have been kinder. When he found out that it was our anniversary, and one of my children's birthdays, we were sent balloons and a cake. On a final note....only when we officially made the decision to check out, and had the bellman bring our bags down did the GM call me to see what he could do to make us stay. My question is...Wouldn't have been easier to make sure that we were satisfied when we were checking in, not checking out?

• Liked — rooms were well appointed
  • Disliked — Lack of disclosure about construction
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank carolynNJ
Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for three nights at the end of March for a work function. There were about 100 bankers and their spouses and hosts in attendance and the group pretty much took over the property. I always wonder when we are on one of these work vacations if the staff will be unpleasant or unfriendly because they are dealing with such a large group of people with access to an open bar. My concerns were completely unfounded during this stay. The staff was amazing, they completely went out of their way to make us all feel welcome. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews on this site, but was very pleasantly surprised.

Example 1: I was experiencing some dizziness (maybe from the elevators) and was looking for a gift shop where I could purchase some Dramamine. There were a couple staff members in the hallway and I asked one of them if they could point me in the right direction. Instead of simply telling me where to find the gift shop, one of them (I wish I could remember her name) excused herself from her conversation and walked me to the gift shop, helped me locate and choose a proper medication and escorted me to the register. When I ran into her later that day in the hallway, she remembered me and made a point to ask if I was feeling better.

Another example of excellent service: A small group of us were looking for a suite where a function was being held. We were not in the right spot, but one of the staff members asked if he could help us. When we told him what we were looking for, he escorted us all the way across the lawn to the proper elevator in order to find the right suite.

Whenever thanking a bartender or food service person, their response was always the same "My pleasure". I had a fantastic massage from Natalie and enjoyed the spa very much.

We took a tram to the beach and had an absolutely wonderful time at the restaurant/bar there and our bartender, David, gave us excellent service. The view was breathtaking and we had a very memorable afternoon.

Our room was very nice and incredibly clean and the golf course view was great, but I would have preferred a pool/partial ocean view. I would recommend this resort to anyone who was looking for a relaxing getaway at a beautiful property.

• Liked — Friendly staff and beautiful property
  • Disliked — confusing layout
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach
BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,081 reviews

Been to Monarch Beach Resort? Share your experiences!