“Nicest Resort Ever Experienced!”

Monarch Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Stayed at St Regis Monarch Bay for about a week for a convention for my wife's work. The staff down to the maids were so friendly and helpful. There is staff waiting on you everywhere.
Everything is first class - pool, rooms, grounds, bar, restaurants, gym, spa. We will now be spoiled and compare every other hotel to this -- not many will compare. This place is very, very nice!

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank MonroeLA
There are newer reviews for Monarch Beach Resort

Reviewed April 28, 2008

My husband and I went down there on a Saturday for a quick weekend getaway. We got there at 1pm and they checked us in right away. Service is great!!!! The best service I have ever experienced....everyone is SO lovely and helpful.
The room was fabulous - great shower, comfortable bed, large TV.
The gym is nice and quite large...it's a very peaceful gym with that wonderful spa feeling and smell - fresh fruit, tea available etc.
The food we found to be VERY good - whether by the pool or in the restaurant, although it is expensive.
I liked the beach club...great comfortable beach chairs and a nice beach restaurant. I recommend having a drink at the bar there...it has an amazing view of the glistening ocean. Only negative is that we had to wait about 20minutes at the beach club for the golf cart to pick us up again and drive us back to the hotel.
The pool area was so-so in our opinion....no real views of the ocean and you are all cramped in there almost touching the person next to you....and we weren't even near the pool, so really what's the point?
All in all, though, a wonderfully relaxing stay....we were only there for one night yet felt like we had been on vacation for a while!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAtravelfan
Reviewed April 24, 2008

We just checked out of the St. Regis...early. My husband and I were supposed to be staying at the SR for 3 nights, but checked out after only 1 night. I agree with the other traveler's comments about the front desk people being "cold". We had booked a St. Regis Suite at 1135.00 per night. When we arrived we were told that we had been upgraded to a Royal Suite. We were excited about that until we actually arrived at our room. It was over looking a huge construction site. When we voiced our concern over lack of view, we were told that we could switch rooms, but that the fee would be higher for an ocean view. I did not feel that we should be charged an up fee after we were already paying so much. I declined the offer to move and we stayed in the room over looking the construction site. We were awoken by the beeping of construction trucks at 7 am sharp. Besides that, our internet was not working and we had engineers in our room for 2 hours that morning, to no avail. Internet is vital for my husband's job, and not having a connection was a problem.
We had finally had it. We knew that there were plenty of other options in the area and felt that we were not being treated like SPG gold members and chose to move on. Of course the front desk was once again frigid. I was told that I would be charged an early departure fee. I explained that it should have been mandatory on part of the hotel to advise customer's of construction and that we were not satisfied. I went on to tell him that the lack of internet was a deal breaker for us, and he sharply replied "well, I am sure that you're aware that we have a business center that you could have used". I did not want to take the time nor did I feel that I had to explain to him that my husband is a commodities trader and the markets he trades are NYC time and that he trades in the middle of the night and that the business center is closed.
Besides the front desk being rude, everyone else compensated where they fell short. Kent was our bellman and was so funny and normal. Our butler tried to smooth things over, and could not have been kinder. When he found out that it was our anniversary, and one of my children's birthdays, we were sent balloons and a cake. On a final note....only when we officially made the decision to check out, and had the bellman bring our bags down did the GM call me to see what he could do to make us stay. My question is...Wouldn't have been easier to make sure that we were satisfied when we were checking in, not checking out?

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank carolynNJ
Reviewed April 7, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for three nights at the end of March for a work function. There were about 100 bankers and their spouses and hosts in attendance and the group pretty much took over the property. I always wonder when we are on one of these work vacations if the staff will be unpleasant or unfriendly because they are dealing with such a large group of people with access to an open bar. My concerns were completely unfounded during this stay. The staff was amazing, they completely went out of their way to make us all feel welcome. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews on this site, but was very pleasantly surprised.

Example 1: I was experiencing some dizziness (maybe from the elevators) and was looking for a gift shop where I could purchase some Dramamine. There were a couple staff members in the hallway and I asked one of them if they could point me in the right direction. Instead of simply telling me where to find the gift shop, one of them (I wish I could remember her name) excused herself from her conversation and walked me to the gift shop, helped me locate and choose a proper medication and escorted me to the register. When I ran into her later that day in the hallway, she remembered me and made a point to ask if I was feeling better.

Another example of excellent service: A small group of us were looking for a suite where a function was being held. We were not in the right spot, but one of the staff members asked if he could help us. When we told him what we were looking for, he escorted us all the way across the lawn to the proper elevator in order to find the right suite.

Whenever thanking a bartender or food service person, their response was always the same "My pleasure". I had a fantastic massage from Natalie and enjoyed the spa very much.

We took a tram to the beach and had an absolutely wonderful time at the restaurant/bar there and our bartender, David, gave us excellent service. The view was breathtaking and we had a very memorable afternoon.

Our room was very nice and incredibly clean and the golf course view was great, but I would have preferred a pool/partial ocean view. I would recommend this resort to anyone who was looking for a relaxing getaway at a beautiful property.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Live4vacation95
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I had heard wonderful things about the St. Regis at Monarch Beach unfortunatley the Hotel did not live up to our expectations. We've stayed at St. Regis Hotels both in the U.S and throughout the world. The service here was chilling and below St. Regis standards. The front desk staff were both arrogant and cold. Some of the lower level staff were better. The $30 parking mentioned by another guest appears to be typical for Southern California and we had encountered the same in other hotels. The room was small, overloaded with clutter and there was not even enough light to read. In addition the hotel bragged about a library of videos to watch. They were all old and were probably left there by previous guests. There is no such thing as an ocean view. The rooms are perpendicular to the water and you have to look at the ocean from an angle. Since it was winter and there was a cold spell it was too cold to go swimming. We are more beach people than spa people and did enjoy walking the beach. However you do need a tram to get you there. The first time we asked where to board the tram the outdoor bellman misdirected us. He apparenlty did not want to bother with us since we did not represent a tip. I do ot intend to return to this hotel and would not recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MGvisionNY
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Wow. Just a beautiful setting, excellent service and wonderful rooms. We did the golf/spa thing and this too was excellent. I had a therapeutic massage with Livu (?) which is one of the best I've ever had.

The restaurants are pricey but that's to be expected in a five star resort. That said I'd encourage a trip into Laguna Beach where there is lots of choice.

Oh and finally, we do intend to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2008

We had high expectations for this resort and we were not let down. The staff at this Starwood resort from the reception to the valet were 1st class. The resort grounds are beautiful and well kept and the pool was heated! Lunch in Motif was ok, breakfast was better and we had excellant service both times. Stonehill Tavern is definately worth the visit - the food cannot be faulted, it was well worth the money.

The spa facilities are very nice - they even have free yoga classes for guests. We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Monarch Beach Resort? Share your experiences!