WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
“Lots of Character!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was asked to attend a business meeting at the property earlier in the month, and I must say this was a fantastic venue. We were on site for 4 nights and I found everything to be 5 star. The room was spacious, clean and extremely well appointed. The food was not your regular hotel fare, and was presented in a wonderful fashion in wonderful environments with fantastic views of the Pacific Ocean.
I was there on on business, so I did not have the luxury of sitting back and relaxing and enjoying the facilities to their maximum potential. That said, the grounds, fitness facilities, restaurants and rooms were top notch. I did not get to experience the golf course, but it looked to be well manicured.
The hotel has a great old world charm and really hit the mark on what a traditional 5 star beach resort should be. Modern in it's appointments, but traditional in its architecture and service. I intend to go back in the future and try out the vacation experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CCowenNJ
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at Monarch Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
CCowenNJ-

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your business meeting at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We hope that you will return in the future to take advantage of the many wonderful amenities the Resort has to offer.

St. Regis Monarch Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This beautiful hotel was all I could ask for and more... beautifully maintained gardens and golf course, a great view of the ocean and emacculate rooms made this hotel feel like "old money" to me :-) marble everything and delicious food! And the spa was just perfect. The best masseus I have ever come across... I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DizLiz123
DizLiz123-

We are happy that you enjoyed your recent stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We hope you will return in the future to enjoy the golf course, restaurants and spa.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I love Maui, and the big Island, and love the five stars they have there... But I live in LA, so between those trips, I'll check the prices and often this gem has a reasonable rate and I shoot out to Monarch Beach. The facility feels like the five star hotels in Wailea and Kona, and the gym is amazing, the best hotel gym in many respects I have seen. The service is outstanding overall, one area that needs improvement is the pool service, while attentive its just a bit of a chore, not elegant, more rushed, and WHERE ARE THE CABANAS, they have only a few for rent. But other than those nits, the Beach House is amazing for lunch. I love this place, my fav in Laguna, much better than its neighbor across the freeway, the rooms, are spacious and the room service amazing.

Room Tip: Go for the butler service, it was truly a butler and the tea in the afternoon was amazing.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tomk626
Rachel R.-

Thank you for your recent review of The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are happy to hear that you enjoy staying at the Resort and got to take advantage of our wonderful amenities. We hope that you will return to the Resort in the future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

After my in-laws passed away, we took our children away (we are from NYC) to Laguna and stayed at the St. Regis. It was everything we needed and wanted. The pool, and beach and activities were wonderful. My boys brought a football with them and found a group to play with on he beach. Even kne of he staff joined in! We loved the sunsets and the concierge found us incredible restaurants each night. The service was very good, and always accommodating. Thanks St. Regis.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael F
Michael F.-

We are pleased to hear that the St. Regis Monarch Beach served as a great getaway for you and your family. We hope that you will return in the future to enjoy the pool, beach and restaurants.

San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Staying here (as I type) for a conference, and am moderately pleased with the place. I must admit that I was a bit annoyed off the start when I called to make my travel reservations "at the group rate" and found that I had to bill the first night's stay to a credit card on the phone. Wha?? I mean, even moderately upscale hotels don't require anything more than a credit card on file, not actually CHARGING the room to my credit card. I told them no and decided to look around the area for something more sane. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the area. I called back the next day and had the same rule explained, so I bit the bullet and reserved. I then had to carry around a $200 charge on my card until the conference started. Not cool, St. Regis. Trust me, it doesn't make you look any more fancy or upscale just because you charge in advance, and personally, I don't appreciate having that sitting around on my card before my trip.

Arrived on the evening of the event, I found that valet was available, but since I planned to drive around the area several times, I asked for self parking. The valet pointed me to it and it was - like other reviews have said - in the dungeons of the hotel. Tight turns for my big truck, crap stored everywhere, no indication of where you can park and where you can't and so on. To top it off, no in-and-out privileges, and it's charged by the hour, so assuming I go out several times, it could add up. Ugh. I couldn't even get OUT of the garage until I went up to the valet to pay for the hour I was in it, and then go back down to get through the gate. I did ask the front desk about this and they said I could do valet parking, with in-and-out, for $35 a day. Which, I'm fine with I guess, but $35?? What is this, San Francisco? Really, the parking issue at St. Regis is my biggest beef. All of this just built up the thought that there's a lot of pretension about being an "upscale" place, when really they're just pretenders trying to get more of my money through added charges.

Some of that feeling changed after my first day. The rooms are nice (although I got a double queen, even though I asked for a king) and the room amenities are tasteful and appreciated. Really nice jazz groove going on when I arrived, and I thought that added to the ambience. The bathrooms are nice and big, and overall sweet. I liked the decor, the bed was comfortable and appropriately sheeted, and no noise from outside came through the door or windows. My room had a patio with chairs; nice.

There doesn't appear to be anything nearby (it's 10 minutes from tiny Dana Point itself), so the rooms look out towards condos or the beach. From that perspective, the rooms weren't very "view worthy", but I wasn't there for views anyhow. The TV offered a big number of channels, and was more modern that what I've seen at other hotels. No housekeeping issues. It was a nice touch to get the morning paper in a plastic bag, rather than on the floor.

The food, really, was the high point of the stay. We had conference food, and I've had conference food hundreds of times, and this place was around one of the best. The wait staff were very nice and not pushy, the food choices were tasty and well made. No issues with any of the food or drinks. Note: I did not eat in any of the restaurants, but saw that their prices were (once again) very expensive for my tastes. I'd have a hard time justifying a meal at St. Regis to my office at those prices.

No issues with any staff members, although sometimes I felt out of place for not being dressed to the hilt like other guests. Maybe it was just my perception.

Overall, I'd have to give this place the nod for nice rooms and great food. I've give them frowns for the apparent greed on reservations, parking and other costs. Even though I love Starwood properties, I doubt I'd stay here again except as required by work or travel. It's just too expensive. Pretty though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the pool. Left tower just faces condos.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at Monarch Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Zarqua-

Thank you for your recent review of The St. Regis Monarch Beach. I am sorry about the issue with parking, however the prices are listed when you make your reservation. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the food at the Resort and your conference. We hope you will return soon.

Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We love the beach. The air is invigorating. While not right "on the beach" the views from the St. Regis across the golf course to the Beach are breathtaking. The walking path that winds through the golf course and takes you to the beach is a good exercise. The trip down is leisurely, and the trip back up hill gets the lungs and the heart going.
The Pool and the Food Service are 1st class. The rooms are large and comfortable, and have a feature we have never seen before. When you want your room made up, you press a switch in the room, and light comes on in the hall calling for room make-up. And, it works like a charm.
The grounds are meticulously maintained. We watched an outdoor wedding from our patio. Dana Point and the surrounding small beach towns are charming. Give it a try. You will love it.

Room Tip: If you can choose a higher room with an Ocean view. They go for a premium but they are worth the ex...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Leighton R-

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We hope you will return in the future to enjoy our pool and wonderful restaurants.

Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Halfway between Newport Beach and San Clemente is the Laguna Niguel coastline area, which has this Resort, AND the Ritz Carlton, but we chose this one, as it had just opened, and everything was new. We were not disappointed. Even though the room rates are "pricy", by the time you leave, you walk away thinking, "Yeah, I'd come back here again." This is one of the FIVE STAR RESORTS in Southern California. If you like the Pacific Ocean, you can walk there in 5 minutes from the St. Regis.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room with the BEST Ocean View at this RESORT...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kent S
Kent S.-

Thank you so much for your review of The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are so happy to hear how much you love the Resort; we hope you will return in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#6 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 20 in Huntington Beach
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,035 reviews

Been to Monarch Beach Resort? Share your experiences!