“Somewhat over rated? Or is it just me?”

Monarch Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Reviewed January 10, 2013

You maybe thinking..what a 5 star hotel..over rated, well yes! I think most are? I have stayed in better and I've stayed in a lot worst. But to me a hotel is room, with a bathroom, that is clean and tidy-just somewhere for me to sleep that is safe. I can't get excited about a "resort" I don't go somewhere to stay inside a "resort", I go to see the sights, meet people, have experiences. Okay it was some of the finest people watching i have ever had (it was New Years Eve), but the bar servce was very poor! They would be a riot in the UK if you had to wait 20 minutes to get served at a bar on New Year-or on any day for that matter. The real plus was the size of the bath...easy enough space for 2 and you could watch the telly while in it. Food in bar over priced and serviced cold? Comfier bed in the travelodge!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loudnorthernbird
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at Monarch Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Loudnorthernbird-

Thank you for your recent review of The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We appreciate your feedback regarding New Year's Eve and will keep this in mind for next year's event. We hope that you will return to the Resort soon.

St. Regis Monarch Beach

Write a ReviewReviews (2,548)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I noticed a number of reviews from platinum members who were disappointed and I think the St Regis has it all figured out now.

The stay was great because of all of the details:

1. Random but we forgot hair gel--the spa gave us a sample because they didn't have our usual for purchase.
2. The bed was insanely comfortable.
3. The towels were amazing.
4. I was worried because the room wasn't ready and I had to come back (often that means a long wait for luggage). They actually followed me to my room from the re-check in.
5. I did get upgraded and recognized for being platinum.
6. All the staff were extraordinarily attentive.
7. The grounds were meticulously kept.

My only concerns were the valet (seems like they need some oversight--we waited over 30 minutes to get our car), and the room wasn't ready at 3:00. Maybe self-park is the way to go at this St. Regis and I'm not sure what to do about room prep.

All in all, it was an amazing stay and I look forward to returning often.

• Stayed: December 2012
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at Monarch Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Hotel Vibe-

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach and were pleased with our staff. We appreciate your comments about the valet and will be speaking with management. We hope you will return to the Resort soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This place is very special to me and I love everything about it. I enjoy all the restaurants here and the outdoor areas are my favorite part. Classically understated in decor and fittings, the place has all the comfort and style one would expect from a prestigious brand. and I absolutely LOVE the massages by Lynn at Gaucin Spa....

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are lovely.... albeit not the most spacious.... bathroom makes up for that thou...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at Monarch Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Gia R.-

We are so pleased to hear how much you love The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are happy to have guests like you. We hope you will continue to enjoy our restaurants and spa at the Resort.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks over the holidays. We thought it was faultless and enjoyed eating in all the restaurants. Our server at breakfast was Cristina who really looked after us. We played golf 4 times on an excellent course with great views of the sea. First time was very slow at 5 hours but got that down to 3hrs when the course was quieter. Thought it was an excellent Resort.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at Monarch Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Cheshire Don-

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The St. Regis Monarch beach over the Holidays. We hope you will return in the future for another round of golf and perhaps enjoy a day at our five-star Spa Gaucin.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Several families stayed with us over the New Year's holiday. Service was outstanding including the room service staff which fetched a lost item left on a service cart for us. For the price, the hotel is missing a notch - some of the finer details - to achieve a 5-star rating.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at Monarch Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Cutterback-

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your New Year’s holiday at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We hope that you will return to the Resort in the future.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

It's a shame such a grand property with beautiful facilities could be so easily marred by poor service.

We checked in Christmas Eve weekend. Check in was smooth thanks to David, the front desk manager. He took care of us efficiently and was eager to help us find the room we desired.

Our service at Stonehill Tavern was equally outstanding. The restaurant is under new management and it clearly showed. Service approached perfection and was absolutely flawless.

Unfortunately things went quickly downhill from that point forward.

1) Requested ice for our room, but a full hour went by with no delivery.

2) Called the resort services number back to check on the status. 45 minutes after that, we finally had ice delivered. An hour and 45 minutes to deliver ice delivered! I've never experienced such a failure in service in all my years of travel.

3) On Christmas day, we had a late dinner at Motif. We were seated at 8:45 and it was 9:00 PM when the manager approached us. He was surprised that we were seated with no menus and asked us who seated us. No apologies but we were glad to finally be acknowledged. When we finally did get a waiter, we ordered a simple salad and a hamburger off their limited post buffet menu. Food was not delivered until 10:00 PM, 30 minutes after the restaurant had closed! It was one of the worst service experiences we had ever experienced of any hotel, let alone one that is supposedly of 5-star caliber.

What shocked me about this stay was the complacency of the staff when service has clearly not lived up to the St. Regis standards. No apologies or explanations nor any effort on management's part to make good after the fact.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing the grand garden overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Armen_Sarkisian
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at Monarch Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Armen-Sarkisian-

Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are very sorry to hear about the situation with the ice and your dining experience at Motif Restaurant.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Beautiful hotel with incredible service. We were really fortunate to get a suite with a butler. The room came with a large living room, bedroom, two marble bath rooms and a large patio with an ocean view. The butler brought sparkling water and chocolate dipped strawberries to help us celebrate our anniversary. After dinner (excellent at Michael Mina's in the hotel) we came back to our room to find real rosé petals leading from the front door to the bedroom. On the dining table were roses, candles and a sweet note from the butler. In the bedroom there were two towel swans on the bed, along with rosé petal hearts .... Very romantic! High quality amenities, I liked the shampoo so much that I ordered it off the Internet. The spa was very nice with good quality treatments. Everyone who worked there was friendly and very service oriented. we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Csora2547

Csora2547-

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We hope that you will return in the future and take advantage of the many other amenities the Resort has to offer.

The St. Regis Monarch Beach

Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Monarch Beach Resort? Share your experiences!